sarahjenkins

Nerves on The First Jump

Hi

I was thinking about doing a tandem jump but im a bit worried about the nerves

does anyoen have any experience of any really nervous jumpers? Did they pee themselves while on the way down? freak out?

I have no problems flying but im just a bit worried about the reaction ill have when actually up there

Many thanks if you can help

:)

Don't worry too much or you'll talk yourself out of it, or you're not going to have as much fun as you would have if you just 'let it happen.'
Don't overthink it...

When people are in a 'panic' situation, their body's 'fight or flight' response takes over. Most people don't lose control over body functions, but some do. One day I was there, a tandem student passed out while in freefall.

So yeah, unexpected things happen. But that's why you're starting with a tandem and not AFF, right? Seriously...have fun. If you have no problems flying and can ride the coasters at Six Flags, then stop reading my post and call your local DZ to schedule your jump.

Then come back and let us know how it went....

the scariest part is the plane ride to altitude..once you get out in the air though i think most people's butterflies stay on the plane.

IMO I think the scariest part is jump run, when they open the door and you all start shuffling up.

I agree though, freefall isn't scary, the moment I've left the plane all is good :)

Being nervous is part of the thrill in doing this. I would be more concerned if you weren't nervous. I have a friend who kept telling everyone he wasn't nervous, no problem, easy. When they opened the door he balked and refused to go. I ended up an expensive plane ride.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

just a funny video for your viewing pleasure, watch it to the end...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiaN5x2dn7k

that is actually rare. I jumped six times this weekend with soooo many tandems going up on each load. Sure everyone is a little tense on the climb to altitude (worst nerves for me is at 10,000) on a 13,000 jump run. But the smiles never leave their faces and I have never seen anything but pure joy on their faces after landing!

as for peeing your pants, not probable (as falling out of an airplane is more of a clinching reaction physically) but even if you do, it'll be dry by the time you land ;)

Worst case scenario, you do this tandem and become a junkie like the rest of us.....:D:D now that isn't so bad, or is it? i dunno.

Anyways, go for it! life is lived but once and I am sure you will absolutely love it!

blue skies
jess

"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

Welcome to the forums! :)
Go jump just because it is something that makes you nervous. You'll be proud of yourself for facing your fears.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Don't you wanna look back in 50 years and know you had enough guts to look back and say " I did that?"

First one is always the scariest because you don't know what to expect. If you are truely worried, look to your tandem master or instructor. If they look worried, you probably have reason to worry, 99.99% of the time that is NOT the case.
You know what's similar between Cops and Firefighters? They both wanna be firefighters.

Of course there will be nerves but just do it. The most scary part is when the TM says OK here we go and you feel the wind blast from the plane as you get ready for exit.. after that its great. Get it DVD ed so you can show all your friends family and workmates at last count I have showed 40 people. Booked another tandem for my 50th in nov this time at 14000 will prob do tandem assist body course next year. TRUST ME IT WILL BE THE BEST EXPERIENCE (OR ONE OF THEM ANYWAY) OF YOUR LIFE. Do not die wondering.
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

The part that freaked me out the most was the initial air blast after the door was opened. Thats when I had my 'oh, shit.' moment. But after that it was great. I started AFP the next day. You'll probably freak out a little bit too if you see experienced people leave the aircraft (assuming you jump somewhere with a large aircraft). I remember being on a load (well after I graduated AFP) where we had a 4 way do a tube exit and the tandems just freaked out when they saw that exit.

You know in all honesty, I wish I had gone and done a tandem when I was 18 or so when it would have really freaked my ass out. Not that waiting made it any less, things just changed from me then to now.
You know what's similar between Cops and Firefighters? They both wanna be firefighters.

many thanks for the replies ive booked a tandem for mid august

so in your experience how many 1st timers bottle it or freak out?

i guess if the wind acts like a giant hair dryer then it wouldnt matter if i ended up peeing because the wind would dry out all your clothes anyway

Sometimes people will puke from a mixture of nerves, eating before the jump and then the instructor spiraling the canopy down. I would think it's more from the canopy ride than freefall. If you're concerned, just tell your TI that you don't want to do spirals. He doesn't want you to throw-up any more than you do!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I have only made one jump and already have my second one scheduled. Don't worry too much about your nerves, it's just like Heather said, once the door opened on the plane I got a real sense of relief. I actually did feel safer during freefall than in the plane because I was in control.

Besides, not sure about tandem, but during AFF you have so much you are trying to remember, you don't have time to be scared.

Just do it and enjoy it! It's the most fun you will ever have with your clothes on!

you WILL sense something while making your first few jumps...

ONLY let's not call it nerves...
let's NOT call it fear.
let's call it EXCITEMENT..
let's call it HIGH ENERGY...

especially if you are doing a tandem....

You'll have a well experienced Skydiver going along with you....

Concentrate on adhering to the instructions
and
doing what's required of YOU....
i e arch,,, head back,,,hips forward...
and you'll be grinning like crazy,, by the time you land...;)B|:ph34r::)
have FUN!!!

jmy