JadedLady

naive newbie, go ahead, poke fun (grin)

Welcome to our world! After reading your post, the only advice I will give you is remember your limitations. 35 mph!, wow. Please keep this in mind, "It is better to be on the ground, wishing you were in the air, then to be in the air, wishing you were on the ground."
I'm planning a Greene County trip in the Spring, hope to see you there.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Hello, Welcome to the forums and skydiving. You could always come down to Paris, Tn. We don't close as long as the weather is nice. We are a small group who just love the sport. Checkout the web site, we have a great group of instructors, www.skydiveparis.com

Blue Skies

In Christ
Dave Smith

Thank you for the invite, I'll be sure to make it out sometime ;). I want to travel to as many dropzones as possible after I get licensed. It will be a nice excuse to get out of Ohio. This cold weather is getting to me ::smile::
~~~~
Rachel
~~~~~~~~~~~
-Converting the world one whuffo at a time.

Hey Jaded, welcome to our world. I will not poke fun either, however, I would seriously question your load master/ orgarizer for allowing a student, presumably under a HUGE canopy, to jump in that kind of wind. As a student I was once in the plane, moving down the run-way when we were called back 'cause there was a student on the load, yup, me. I was pissed, to be sure, however, I do not have a 'landing in the parking lot' story, either. Sometimes our coaches over-ride our adrenaline. You have lots of years of swooshing in you if you play smart....Clear, Blue ones......Terry ;)

The Sky is NOT the Limit, the Dirt Is!!

During my AFF I jumped in winds strong enough to pick me up off the ground once I landed. Of course that was in Germany, Where we also jump throug very thick cloud cover. In fact most of my freefall for AFF-3 was spent inside a cloud.(good times:D:D)

Of course Im not sugesting students should jump in those conditions.

Of course that was in Germany, Where we also jump throug very thick cloud cover

as an aff student?? [:/] sounds weird and somehow strange..:o ?? and why 'Of course..'?

n fact most of my freefall for AFF-3 was spent inside a cloud

as an aff student?!?! really would like to know where in germany you've been for aff...(f.e. at the us-army ?;))

the only place for german aff students in strong winds is: on the ground!

dudeist skydiver # 3105

> I would seriously question your load master/ orgarizer for allowing a student, presumably under a HUGE canopy, to jump in that kind of wind.

Jumping in 10-15 MPH ground winds is more then allowed under the BSR's. Uppers at 35 mph is'nt that unusual in the midwest. Normal winds are 30, we'll fly with uppers into 50's. There is a huge difference between uppers and lowers in the part they play in spotting and when students are allowed to jump.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I stupidly disregarded them. I hadn't jumped for two weeks and was dying to go again.

I just did a copy and paste for you to read this again.

I guess your tired of hearing this, but get used to it if you continue to do the above.

You don't die & do it again

Fortunately, JadedLady survived to tell the tale of her refusal to yield to greater experience. Yes, I'm as surprised as you are that she got back into the plane for another jump on the same day, particularly with injuries. But as I said, she survived -- and the important thing is I'll bet that NOW she is more familiar with the notion of letting more experienced skydivers guide your decision-making.

I'm a low-time jumper -- 54 as of this weekend. I have the benefit of being a private pilot, so skydiving never really did scare me, being in the plane never scared me, and canopy control, as has been said, came quite naturally. But there have been days when others have told me "don't jump." In particular, Dave Cole and J.C. Perren have been two instructors who KEPT me from jumping when I was hot to do so and probably would have, unwisely. I made a sort of mental decision to force myself to remain open to guidance from those I KNOW are more knowledgeable and experienced than I am. You will never know what might have happened on a windy day when they advised you not to jump and you didn't jump: what you will know, is that you will be able to jump on some other day.

I'm usually a go-forward person, strong in my belief that things have a way of working out, so it was difficult for me to accept that there are just many things I don't yet know about this sport, and ONLY time and jumps will teach them to me. Allowing that learning to proceed at the pace it naturally adopts has been a wonderful life-lesson for me. Skydiving is actually making me a better person.

Back to the subject: JadedLady is probably a lot more understanding of why it's best sometimes to let the experience of others override your enthusiasm for getting up right now, today, winds be damned. And because of her experiences, she'll probably carry that wisdom into other areas of life. One hopes, anyway. ;)

---Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Welcome to the family! We're glad to have another sister!!

Lookit Brian Germain, whose userid still says "newbie" next to it! WHAT?! Dude, I met you at the Skydive SoBe boogie this weekend, and at the moment they pantsed you (Ron has this thing for butts, it seems) I had no idea who you are -- and it turned out you made my canopy!!! LOL!

I watched Vertical Journey as soon as I got home on Sunday and loved it! Now I'm reading the book. Thanks for all you've contributed to making life beautiful, man. We owe you.

Blue skies,
---Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

hey jaded lady, brian germain, and peaceful jeffrey,
greetings to all, just wanted to say im pretty new at skydiving with a total of 56 in 3 years. its painful not to have the funding to jump but to think about it all the time. i understand the landing issue. with so much to learn in this sport, its hard to keep all the numbers in check. Im sure everyone has a few dozen landing stories with the scars to prove it. mine involved getting blown off course by 500 ft and almost taking out a power line i didnt even see until it went under my feet, landed in a gravel parking lot and was dragged on my hands and knees infront of an oriental family who was just standing there. luckly they helped me get the dz 290(?) off the wall and roof of a building. my only warning of unsafe jump comditions was when we lined up and the first 2 guys refused to jump due to a wall of storm cloud right next to the dz. i was first out the door, dying to get out of that claustrofobic kingair. the scenery was fantastic, 5-6000feet of vertical cloud, white on top, black down below. it was finally under canopy when it dawned on me that the winds were more than i bargened for. trying to descend in a 290 is hard enough.
i understand the desire to jump should never overcome the desire to be safe.
last year i had the pleasure of meeting Brian Germain in greensburg in, and bought his video and book. besides the acting, i liked it:)
he's pretty cool too and i earnestly thank him for throwing me a little extra footage on my jumptape to inspire my friends at home.

hope to jump with all of you, got any jade, Jaded lady? might bring you luck and wisdom;)
rychian

...I want to travel to as many dropzones as possible after I get licensed. It will be a nice excuse to get out of Ohio. This cold weather is getting to me ::smile::

Go Buckeyes!:)!
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.