vanillasky11

Nervous Newbie

Hello,
I have been reading the forums on this site for a little while, but have never posted one cause I am actually a newbie, hoping to do my first jump in the spring or summer. Did anyone else have a fear of once they got in the plane they'd want to turn back around and not jump? I have wanted to skydive for a long time but never had anyone to do it with, and now I do, so its now a reality, can anyone give me advice on helping to ease my nervousness? [:/]

"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky." -- Amelia Earhart

Welcome. Take deep relaxing breaths! I never even thought of not jumping on my first jump, I wanted to do it so much. However, knowing the jump was paid for and I wasn't getting my money back is a good thing to remember!

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Did anyone else have a fear of once they got in the plane they'd want to turn back around and not jump?

I actually didn't think about that until the JM opened the door and I was looking at the ground. :)
It's a natural thing to be scared/nervous when you skydive. Afterall your about to hurl your self from an aircraft and that's just not normal.:S

Make things better by listening to your Instructors and Jumpmasters. Don't be shy about asking questions if there is something that you don't understand.

Practice your dive flow (what you will be doing on the dive) on the ground until you can go thru with no pauses. Rehearse the dive in your mind a few times while riding the plane to altitude, and don't forget to BREATH.

You'll probably still be scared/nervous but that's half the reason we do this. I've got 2400+ jumps and I still preach what I learned as a beginner, "If your not scared, your stupid.".

First and formost don't ever think you HAVE to leave the plane. If it just doesn't feel right, back off and possibly try again later. I've had students back out as they stood in the door. All but one came back the next day and did an excellent job.

Hope this makes sense, if it doesn't, it will as you begin to frequent a DZ near you. I hope that you'll be able to jump soon.

Blue Skies/Black Death
Larry
'In an insane society a sane person seems insane.' Mr. Spock

Welcome to the forums. I think it's the norm for most people to feel fear for about the first 25 jumps. The only reason I went ahead with my first tandem was because I was so afriad, I made myself do it to conquor the fear. But then I was so nervous on all my student jumps, I eventually lost 60 pounds due to my nervous stomach. :P So relax, go over all your training in your head on the way up and make sure you smile on the way down. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

You'll love it!

And if you're anything like 99% of the people I've seen after their first jump you'll be jumping around with joy and a wide smile on your face, wanting to go up again A.S.A.P :)
---
P.
"It Hurts to Admit When You Make Mistakes -
But When They're Big Enough, the Pain Only Lasts a Second."

Hi and welcome.

As the others have said, relax, smile, have fun, practice the dive plan, ask questions, listen to your JM's and yourself. You'll have a blast! :)

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Thanks, I think support is also going to play a big factor. Iam certain it will be one of those things where it was such a rush I'll wanna do it again, its just initially conquering that fear. Thanks for your comments and advice, they are much appreciated!!:)

"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky." -- Amelia Earhart

Welcome, to the forum! :)
I was also really scared before the course!!

The night before I went to the bank to pay the course, I was so nervous I couldn´t sleep. But I felt much better when I came to the dropzone and met a bunch of very helpful people. They listened carefully to my questions and made sure I understood the answers correctly.

I had to learn all I needed to convince both myself and my jumpmaster that I could make my first skydive in a safe way. Still I was scared when I was about to jump, but that was no problem at all, since we learned good ways of eliminate rational fear and handle irrational fear in the course.

But you know what? When I landed, all my fear turned into happiness *130, and I never regret I challenged myself by doing my first skydive!

First of all, Welcome.

You don't say in your post, but I am assuming you are talking about possibly doing a tandem.

When I went to the dz for the first time, I definitely had nerves. I knew of noone that was a skydiver. However, I knew I really wanted to do it. We had a weather delay, so I was hanging around the dz for a couple of hours. I felt very much like an outsider, but that was due to my shyness. What really helped me is I observed the countenance on all the skydivers there. They all seemed so relaxed. For some reason, I felt enormous trust. After I met my tandem master, got suited up, started doing the video, I found I got really excited and before I knew it I was boarding the plane with absolutely no anxiety. All the skydivers were laughing and smiling. This gave me confidence. And like the others said, when I was on the ground, I was a new person. I was completely blown away by the experience.

You'll know when the time is right. I wish you luck and let us know how it goes.

Blue skies,
Chris

Did anyone else have a fear of once they got in the plane they'd want to turn back around and not jump?

I was very scared before I entered the plane but when I finally was about to jump I was totally calm and focused on the thing I was about to do. Just relax and think of what your instructor have told you, and most important of all.. remember to have fun.

<>

Hi! And welcome! If you do your AFF course, it's a little less dramatic...you do a couple of tandems first, and a good JM will train you to get over your sensory overload. Hope the advice helps! See you round the joint.....mmmmmm......joint.......B|

Don't bother me, I'm living happily ever after

Welcome and relax! I wanted to back out on my first jump, but I had all these guys who I wanted to "show up" and they were waiting on the ground for me. (I was young and a girl) Let me just tell you I'm glad I did it! After that first jump you'll realize how easy it was and fun!!

Deefly

Deefly

Dear nervous newbie. I too was very nervous about doing it my first time, 52 jumps ago. The night before, I also couldn't sleep, and at the DZ before the jump I was chain-smoking like Dean Martin. On the ride to jump run, I was wondering just what I'd gotten myself into, and assumed everyone on the plane, except for the pilot, was insane. Especially me. Now I get irritable if more than a week goes by without a jump. Skydiving is the most amazing thing in the world.

re: skymama,, you should write a diet book,, eat all you want,, when you want,, just make at least 1 skydive per week on a nervous stomach,,,lol

With courage being greater than your fear, jump into the unknown and enjoy the best that life has to offer.

My biggest fear was that when that door opened I wouldn't be able to force myself out. No worry. I was so busy making sure I was doing everything correctly that I was in freefall before I realized it. And once that canopy opened, I was hooked.

You will be too.:D

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

If its something you are determit to do, you will do it. Everbody is afraid in the start. So it is a quistion off do you want to expirience the freedom of human flight or not. When I jumped my first AFF I told my instructors that if I would chicken out in the door they should just take me out with them, that wasnt neccesery but I was serious about wanting to jump. Hope this helps. Good luck:)

When I stop skydiving is the day that I die!!! Hallur

Hi Kel...I'm 16, female and i just started jumping in august of 2002. I have to admit that when I was on my lunch break during the first jump course, i honestly wasn't sure if i was going to jump...i figured i'd end up forcing myself but i was definetly sacred shitless!! But let me tell you, as soon as I jumped and I felt the parachute open behind me almost immediately after leaving the plane (IAD) I took one look at the view and took a second to think about what i'd just done...and i was hooked!! It was getting dark, but twenty minutes after I'd landed i was heading up for another jump!! If you're doing a tandem...well i did that when i was 15 and for some reason, coulda been that i was being filmed, i just showed no emotion at all!! i wasn't scared or nervous, or anything really...hard to explain...but i'm sure that once you meet the people you'll be even happier that you decided to jump because the people in this sport are amazing!! I only have 15 jumps and i've been a part of the skydiving world for only about 6 weeks (less than three months til i start up again!!) but it's like nothing else...i love the people as much as i love the jumping itself...but you'll see soon enough :)

Arran - P.S. what province are you from if you don't mind my asking?!

*** can anyone give me advice on helping to ease my nervousness?

B| yes..... would you you like to jump on me.... I mean I'll jump on on you. NO. thats not what I meant.... if you're still there.... stay with it , it all comes together if you stay on top of the ride be mindful of your karma.B|

--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

Hmmm nervous huh? I was pretty nervous the first time i went, I jumped outside Halifax. Itwasn't as bad as i thought though. And once I did it I knew that it wasn't a mistake....hell i was back on the plane again in 20 min B| My guess is your going to be fine because you'll have someone to jump with who will take good care of you and give you some words of encouragement;)

"Ignorance may be bliss, however ignorance will not last forever.....and the truth after is twofold"

welcome V?
Last name P? Kel? Seems to me you're afraid of more than just door fear;). If you aint skeered yur asleep! Remember the object here IS to fall out of a plane! Relax, breath and have fun! Once you leave the plane, your doubts will leave you. Go and hang out at the DZ and you'll be much calmer when it's time to jump! Talk to the regular jumpers(if there is such a thing;))

Blue skies, black death,
Conway 1130B|