TimHurford

Gear Compatiability

This is discussion based on this thread http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=986133#986133– I’ve taken this discussion out of the ‘incidents’ forum, although it is prompted by the incident, the intention here is to generate discussion on gear compatibility and general ‘gear’ knowledge and not second-guess the cause of this particular accident per se.

The pertinent details that have are relevant are ‘equipment in … main parachute not being compatible with other parts of … equipment’ that lead to the main canopy not deploying properly, and on deployment of the reserve, an entanglement; and, this is something that ‘ … (we) have been aware of in the past for some time’. In this instance the main was partially deployed at least as it was ‘wrapped around [the skydiver].

So, what ‘components’ of your main could be ‘incompatible’ and ultimately lead to a main/reserve entanglement? There appear to be two possibilities. First is that the main deployed and on cutaway, does not release, and the reserve fires into it. The second is a horseshoe, again when the reserve fires, leads to an entanglement.

Thesis One. What equipment compatibility could prevent the main from being cutaway?

‘Equipment compatibility’ would rule out issues such as three-ring maintenance and cutaway cable maintenance – which are critical and could lead to the same result, however are ‘maintenance issues’ not ‘compatibility’ issues.

Reverse risers spring to mind. Reverse risers have the three-ring release on the backside of the riser, so that the rings are ‘hidden’ by the main riser – their use now presumably to be aesthetically pleasing rather than function. It is commonly thought that a low speed malfunction, belly to earth, will not cause enough pressure on the riser to release, as the riser is holding the three ring against the harness. A number of manufacturers do not recommend reverse risers on their systems due to this.

Any more?

Thesis Two. What equipment compatibility would lead to a ‘horseshoe’ malfunction of the main?

A premature extraction of the main without the pilotchute releasing would lead to a horseshoe malfunction if the pilotchute cannot be quickly extracted or the main cutaway (noting that if the main was cutaway the pressure on the spandex ROL may still attach the main and hence ‘main in tow’). What could cause a premature main extraction? Poor, or no, Velcro on a ROL pouch? That is, the bridle catches the wind and causes the pin to extract while the PC is still in the BOC/ROL.

Main too small for the container? If the main pin is not sufficiently tight (due to main/container incompatibility), the pin may be easily dislodged, and then the main could extract and be still held by the BOC/ROL and risers – again, horseshoe malfunction.

Any more?

Reverse risers have the three-ring release on the backside of the riser, so that the rings are ‘hidden’ by the main riser – presumably to be more aesthetically pleasing.

I believe that reverse, or Integrity, risers, were originally developed to be _stronger_ than standard three rings (since there is no hole punched through the middle of the riser). I don't believe it had anything to do with aesthetics.

Most BASE jumpers still use integrity risers for this reason (although the technical strength issues were resolved by RWS quite some time ago, as far as I know), but we, admittedly, don't have to worry about cutting away a malfunction very often.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Reverse risers have the three-ring release on the backside of the riser, so that the rings are ‘hidden’ by the main riser – presumably to be more aesthetically pleasing

"Integrity" or "reverse" risers came about 10 years or so ago in response to several cases of mini risers failing at the grommet that the loop for the three ring passes through. Instead of having the loop pass through a grommet in the center of the riser as it does on regular risers, it passes through a grommet on a tab that is attached to the riser on integrity risers - preserving the "integrity" of the riser webbing.

IIRC the mini risers that failed back then were overloaded. Today's mini risers are reinforced to prevent the same type of failure from happening again, thus eliminating the need for integrity risers and allowing heavier jumpers to safely use "regular" mini risers.

AFAIK, they were never meant to be a fashion statement.

I believe that reverse, or Integrity, risers, were originally developed to be _stronger_ than standard three rings (since there is no hole punched through the middle of the riser).

Good point. My bad.

but we, admittedly, don't have to worry about cutting away a malfunction very often.

Good point too!

it is possible to geometrically 'lock' a reverse riser. We've seen a case of a spinning mal where one riser will release, but the other will not if the spin keeps forcing the riser downward (towards the jumper's shoulder). The 3 rings cannot rotate and release in this situation because they are jammed against the jumper. We have recreated this effect on the ground.

"Integrity" or "reverse" risers came about 10 years or so ago in response to several cases of mini risers failing at the grommet that the loop for the three ring passes through. Instead of having the loop pass through a grommet in the center of the riser as it does on regular risers, it passes through a grommet on a tab that is attached to the riser on integrity risers - preserving the "integrity" of the riser webbing.

IIRC the mini risers that failed back then were overloaded. Today's mini risers are reinforced to prevent the same type of failure from happening again, thus eliminating the need for integrity risers and allowing heavier jumpers to safely use "regular" mini risers.***

Lisa,
An excellent description, thanks, I should've actually explained the construction and intent of them better. More discussion on reverse/integrity risers can be found here http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=463677#463677

I didn't mean to infer they were manufactured for aesthetic reasons, rather that their use by some people is more because they like the look of them rather than any functional value (as they have been shown to have some limitations over conventional risers, and the reason they were first introduced is now mute with the standard of reinforcing 'mini' risers) - original post edited to reflect what I was thinking that didn't translate to what I was typing!

I've only seen reverse risers in person once- and the user couldn't clearly articulate 'why' they had them (in terms of 'strength' etc) .. other than being 'cool'! They are more common in Europe - PdF for example, manufacture them.

This raises a good point though (related to the original thread) of compatibility and knowing about the different components of your system. Risers (and deployment bags/pilotchutes) are components of the container - mixing them with non-manufacturer components or mismatched components is potentially dangerous and should be considered carefully.

True. Semantics I guess ... if it's not manufactured correctly, then it's not compatible ;)

Same would be true for faulty/incorrect use of hardware (ala RW-2 ring) - that is 'manufacturing' error rather than true 'compatibility'.

Thanks for contributing tho! Nice pickup - you and Lisa certainly have an 'eye for detail'

The only thing I can come up with is mixing mini-risers with full size rings on risers. Say you put mini-rings on the risers, but had a full size ring on the harness. It wouldn't work the other way, because the ring wouldn't fit. But if you had small rings on the riser and large rings on the harness, could that make for a hard cutaway?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The only thing I can come up with is mixing mini-risers with full size rings on risers. Say you put mini-rings on the risers, but had a full size ring on the harness. It wouldn't work the other way, because the ring wouldn't fit. But if you had small rings on the riser and large rings on the harness, could that make for a hard cutaway?

Bill Booth - are you out there?

--I read somewhere that her main wrapped around her body-- incident not in anyway her fault- gear was a mal waiting to happen-??????????

main not compatible with her kit??????????
is bugging the hell outa me--

besides not knowing yet if she is the same beauty blond skydiver named Clare from OZ that trained at our d.z. in Canada- too feared to ask anyone at home here as do not want to hear "yes"....have avoided talking or seeing anyone that would know for sure.

Just keep checking incidents forum here for more info. ---so sad:|[:/]

SMiles;)

main not compatible with her kit?????????

My best guess as to that is basically the same as this, from the first post in this thread.

***Main too small for the container? If the main pin is not sufficiently tight (due to main/container incompatibility), the pin may be easily dislodged, and then the main could extract and be still held by the BOC/ROL and risers – again, horseshoe malfunction.

Still, I'm sure that accident will be well analyzed in due time. Just now there seems to be a lot of press spotlighting the whole thing.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Bill Booth, are you out there?

Yes, but I'm on a ski vacation with my kids. Equipment compatibility is a big subject, which I don't have time to go into right now. However, on reversed (Integrity) risers...The scariest stories I've heard about them happen in two canopy out situations. Often, the main risers are held back across the shoulders, preventing the unfortunate jumper from cutting the main away in a "personal downplane" situation.

Reversed risers offer no advantages, have lower mechanical advantage, have no published construction or inspection specifications (so you can't tell if they are going to work in a high "G" situation), and can kill you in the above situation (and others). They should be replaced, and you should get very mad at anyone who sold them to you. The same is true for most "soft housing" 3-ring release systems. More later...

Suggest that rather than speculate wait for the official report, believe that a preliminary will be out tomorrowish with the salient points.
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

Thanks Tom.

Apart from learning from a tragedy, which the specific details in time will become clearer in the 'incident' forum, the issue here is about 'compatibility'.

First and foremost, the rig is a 'system' of components that are engineered and designed to work together - and swapping bits between rigs may or may not present a hazard.

Why is this relevant? For three reasons that I can think of.

The new jumper who buys second hand gear, or buys bits and pieces to go together. Second hand gear may be subject to SBs and need attention; or the container may not be suitable for the canopies; or the bits (risers for example) may simply be a wrong fit. This is of course what rigger's are for - but it certainly doesn't hurt if jumpers are a tiny bit informed.

Secondly, the jumper that chops a main, and is up for a new main deployment bag and risers (yeah, and a main), and a freebag (hell, even handles on a bad day!). Things like freebags, main deployment bags(?), risers should be manufacturer specific (in fact, the freebag is TSOd so it has to be?). Even something as mundane as toggles are matched to the riser!

Finally, there is the jumper who is downsizing - more and more common. Rigs are built to take a certain size range of canopies - most manufacturers list the sizes for each container on their websites - and most say that going down a size is acceptable. Go any smaller, and you then may have compatibility issues.

Sure would be easier to analyze this hard cutaway if we had the official report.

There are several scenarios where it would be difficult to pull the cutaway handle:

riser geometry
housing length
cable pinch

If riser geometry is incorrect, i.e. rings improperly spaced, they can put too much pressure on the cable.

If the housing is too short i.e. mini-force risers installed on a harness with release housings that were on the short side to begin with, the housing can apply tension to the white nylon loop.

Finally, if the main spins up too fast, it can twist the risers so tightly around the release cables that they are impossible to pull.

Just my three bits of speculation.

For anyone looking for some background info on the subject of cutting away and riser design, check out this link....
http://www.bpa.org.uk/skydive/pages/articles/dec03/cutting-away.html
Useful for newbies, less so for most riggers and experienced people.:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Atom Harnesses have the Main ring located higher up the main
lift web. Reverse risers are not a problem as this harness is
designed to be compatible.

If you fit these risers to another harness, like a Vector
or Javelin, it is highly likely the reverse risers will not
release if cutaway in a low drag malfunction, like a baglock,
where the body is still belly to earth. The angle between the main
webbing and the riser causes the reversed ring to press against
the harness, thus locking the 3 ring system. This can be easily
demonstrated on the ground. It's usually the middle ring that gets
jammed.

This is a problem that surfaced many years ago when some
people chose to fit Atom risers to their rigs because they liked
the idea of the velcroless brake set up.
Kiss my dogs arse.

Just purchased a rig that had a mini ring harness with large ring risers, the risers would not release without yanking and shaking them.

.................................................................................

You silly boy!
Reach for a larger hammer!
Hah!
Hah!