georgiaskydiver

Skydiving While Pregnant

So you been up to the farm and drank the water...did ya?
My boy has 10 jumps and only 3 of those are after the news, my wife stopped on her own because it's not worth the risk to us. Now Sandy (Hans wife) was jumping up to 8 mos? I've known a number of ladies over the years that have done it, how much extra risk to your child are you willing to force upon it and is that fair to your child and family?
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Your Doc. grounds you because you are pregnant and you call it Whuffo bullshit. And what's with the [:/]? You're carrying new life inside you and you're sulking over a canopy?

LMAO...how much do you want this kid?

:D:D:D:D:D

Dude, go back and look at the date she posted this thread. :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I am teaching about pregnancy and teaching students about risks. They thought No to skydiving all together while pregnant. Terrible thought! ANyway do those of you who have experienced pregnancy and skydiving simultaneous have any pictures? Thank You
I would probably be putting a few pics on my powerpoint presentation.
Thanks again
Lisa Poarch Blackwelder Tyler Tx

Pregnancy or conception? :D

If you don't find pictures, there's always finding someone with an awesome arch who'll look pregnant.

I think there was an article in Parachutist early last Spring that was about jumping while pregnant. I'm sure someone here can point you toward that issue.

- David
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

I'm totally against jumping while pregnant. To me, the risks are just not worth the fun, or ego, or whatever. Sitting out 9 months is not that big a deal in comparison to the potential hazard exposure.

Given Sandy's landings, the kid surely had a seatbelt and helmet on.
:D:D

Now if I was pregnant...I would be RICH!!!!
:D:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I'm totally against jumping while pregnant. To me, the risks are just not worth the fun, or ego, or whatever. Sitting out 9 months is not that big a deal in comparison to the potential hazard exposure.

Having an opinion either way on this when you can't possibly ever be faced with the actual decision is almost impossible. You just can't put yourself in the mother's shoes if you aren't one, especially when you say 'sitting out 9 months isn't a big deal in comparison to the potential hazard exposure'. Exactly what is the hazard exposure? Does it change based on skydiver experience? Gestational time? Mother's health? Fetal health? Prior pregnancies?

I don't know the answers to any of these... if I get knocked up, I have a wicked lot of explaining to do, so never looked into it. But to make a global statement that every jumper mom needs to be on the ground for 9 months during gestation seems a little extreme... every person/pregnancy/skydiver/risk analasys is different.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Hey Billy! Yes, I still consider myself an active jumper, but since Monroe closed down it's much much harder to get ourselves to the DZ. We have a minimum 2 hour drive each way, which - despite what recent entries would suggest - we, as good parents, think is too much to ask of the Little Guy.

Hopefully we'll get to jump together again soon. (Just because I love all the video shots you got of my crotch!) ;)

Psssst. Your ignorance is showing.

The whuffo doctor actually suggested that my child would be born with a third eye in the middle of his forehead if I continued to jump. I feel pretty comfortable calling bullshit on that one.

Our son survived my horrible torture of skydiving while pregnant, and is now a healthy, happy, vibrant 4 year old. Who, by the way, happens to have inherited a love for flying. Oh yeah, and he only has two eyes.

lol. Obviously you don't know me. Me NOT jumping is hazardous to the health of everyone around me. It saves us lots and lots of money in psychotherapy and counseling.

You've heard of the women who have post-partum depression and end up killing their entire families? I only know of one cure for that when it comes to my brain, and that is skydiving!

I look at it as a necessity. And seeing as how our child is now 4 years old and my marriage is still going strong, I'd say we made the right decision.

When you become pregnant, you can make your own choice.

Hey Billy! Yes, I still consider myself an active jumper, but since Monroe closed down it's much much harder to get ourselves to the DZ. We have a minimum 2 hour drive each way, which - despite what recent entries would suggest - we, as good parents, think is too much to ask of the Little Guy.

Hopefully we'll get to jump together again soon. (Just because I love all the video shots you got of my crotch!) ;)

What shots of your crotch?? All I saw was my camera banging against your helmet! :):D:D:D

Hope you and the family can come out to The Farm sometime! :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

of course it CAN be done safely, but there are things out of ones control that are inherently not safe and you can do nothing about. Its not about proving the asshats wrong, and IMO you didn't prove them wrong at all. All you did was showed that one time one person skydived through pregnancy without anything going wrong, and got LUCKY. It could have ended a lot differently. Thats like saying a guy just off AFF who flys a velo a few times and lives is "proving" to everyone that velos are safe for novices.

Another thing, the minimum age for skydiving is 18 in the US, so how old is the fetus while jumping? Sounds like a DZ could actually maybe get in legal trouble for allowing a pregnant woman to jump should something terrible happen to the mother or the child.

Also for future pregnant moms, if you go to a greedy DZ Id avoid telling them you're pregnant or they'll make you pay for two jump tickets;)

So you and Jenn are arguing against me having that opinion? So be it. It doesn't change a thing as the opinion stands and is very unlikely to change in the near future.

Anyone can create any excuse to justify behavior...have at it. Priorities are priorities.

You're more than welcome to do whatever you wish with your personal decisions. I just hope the worst doesn't happen. That would be very sad for all of us.

Your use of the (in paraphrasing) "you're not a woman so what do you know" argument is both lame AND laughable. >

I can't go without coffee in the morning. Say I'm broke...do I go out and rob a Starbucks every day until a paycheck comes in? How's that for a lame comparision to being able to sit out 9 months?

>jumping during pregnancy CAN be done safely and without harm to the baby.

No, it really can't. That's not because pregnancy disqualifies you from skydiving, it is because skydiving itself is not safe, no matter how many "it's safer than driving!" examples people use. Skydiving is a dangerous sport, and you can be injured or killed while participating in it.

It is up to every couple to decide what they want to risk and what they don't want to risk during pregnancy. Skydiving (as well as smoking and drinking alcohol) represent small increases in the risk of harm to the fetus. Such decisions should be made carefully, since more is at risk than when deciding such things for an individual.

Having an opinion either way on this when you can't possibly ever be faced with the actual decision is almost impossible. You just can't put yourself in the mother's shoes if you aren't one, especially when you say 'sitting out 9 months isn't a big deal in comparison to the potential hazard exposure'.

So, I guess that negates all male baby doctor's opinions.

Exactly what is the hazard exposure? Does it change based on skydiver experience? Gestational time? Mother's health? Fetal health? Prior pregnancies?

You're being rhetorical again aren't you?
Even exerienced jumpers crash and burn sometimes. A resulting miscarriage would be a sad event AND an unnecessary one.

... if I get knocked up, I have a wicked lot of explaining to do

I hope MY name never gets into that conversation.
May I suggest Turtlespeed instead?

But to make a global statement that every jumper mom needs to be on the ground for 9 months during gestation seems a little extreme.

You're putting words in my mouth or misreading what I wrote. Note the keywords: I'm..., To me...

And what about jumper Dads? Fuck them? Sorry, this is not a one-woman, one decision deal.

Let's see now....Hmmmmm....WE'RE having a baby. Let's put it on a scale with the baby's health/survival on one side and 9 months of personal gratification on the other with odds of events in the middle...Hmmmmm....

But...like I said in my last post...have at it.

I'll be glad to send you pictures. Just to prove all these asshats wrong - jumping during pregnancy CAN be done safely and without harm to the baby.

>>
I'm one of the asshats!!!!!
WoooHooooo!

My guess is that you would also categorize these events as "CAN be done safely"...
Motorcycle racing
Ski Jumping
oh nevermind.

Funny how differing opinons get called asshats.
:D:D:D

...Another thing, the minimum age for skydiving is 18 in the US, so how old is the fetus while jumping? Sounds like a DZ could actually maybe get in legal trouble for allowing a pregnant woman to jump should something terrible happen to the mother or the child.

Oooooo, I didn't think of that. Fetus Rights and all. Ooooo..future parents might want to check their state's stance on that. Even the parents could be charged in some states maybe. Child endangerment? Neglect? I dunno.

Having an opinion either way on this when you can't possibly ever be faced with the actual decision is almost impossible. You just can't put yourself in the mother's shoes if you aren't one, especially when you say 'sitting out 9 months isn't a big deal in comparison to the potential hazard exposure'. Exactly what is the hazard exposure? Does it change based on skydiver experience? Gestational time? Mother's health? Fetal health? Prior pregnancies?

I don't know the answers to any of these... if I get knocked up, I have a wicked lot of explaining to do, so never looked into it. But to make a global statement that every jumper mom needs to be on the ground for 9 months during gestation seems a little extreme... every person/pregnancy/skydiver/risk analasys is different.

Excellent post :)
A normal, uncomplicated pregnancy is *not* a disease or a medical condition. It seems more and more like our society doesn't understand this anymore. Most miscarriages happen in the first trimester because there's something inherently wrong with the fetus or the conditions of the pregnancy, and NOT because of anything the mother does or does not do.

This is obviously a very personal issue that everyone should decide for themselves based on their particular situation. Kudos to you, Georgia skydiver, for following your maternal gut and instincts, and congratulations on your healthy 4 year old.