AndrewKarnowski

Storing Clamps?

So, I just got my 12 clamps from Tom today, and I know this is a relatively un-vital question. but how does everyone store their clamps?

I've seen them in a circular shape, in a pyramid shape, and just thrown in a bag un-organized...

just curious :S

I keep mine in a bag, with my other packing tools. Since I have a couple stakes in there, I keep my PC's and such separate.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Tie a pull-up cord into a loop. Clamp them onto the loop.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

The bright greens ones, oh yes, on my FJC with TA we were required to store them on body parts, such as nipples.:$

The bright greens ones, oh yes, on my FJC with TA we were required to store them on body parts, such as nipples.:$

Ah, is that why customs confiscated them from you? :P
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

the best way to store the clamps is to leave them in the packjob, clamped to the canopy. this way they are always there when you need them!

Ah, organization, one of the few things I'm good at :)Use a large shoe box from a pair of athletic shoes.
It nicely holds 12 clamps, 4 bungee cords, 2 stakes,
and 2 pull up cords.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

12 clamps? Are you packing 3 parachutes at the same time? Just curious why so many clamps.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

12 clamps is only a part of the TA Packing tools.
You also need 4 bungees, to big nails and 2 pull up cords.
I learned to pack with only 1 pull up cord, then Tom spoiled me with his way of packing and after a cold turkey I'm back to 4 clamps and one pull up cord... :)
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

12 clamps? Are you packing 3 parachutes at the same time? Just curious why so many clamps.

Tom will claim it is useful to ultra-control the packjob.

I think it is a Darwinian test to see if you can count without using your fingers...:P
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Pshhh.. Does nobody believe in clipart anymore? You clip them to each other. Be creative. Oh, and if you don't do it the right way, you'll bounce for sure.

I don't know man but that tower that you had yesterday that I tripped over, almost landed on you, then the table, then the coffee table then the futon was really dangerous hahaha.

Though after watching the video, I'm opting for 12 instead of 8 now, just 12 is an odd number to build clip art stuff with we found haha
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

The idea is to make the pack job as controlled and easy to replicate as possible, especially for a student.

After Bridge Day I'll try to compress the video and throw it up on the SkydivingMovies.com server so you can all pick it apart.

You'll notice in the video that I'm packing a top size canopy (Troll 290/305/whatever they're calling that size now). As the canopy size gets smaller I find that less clamps are necessary.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Tom,

I watched the video last night with Andrew and thought it was great! Picked up a couple things that I thought made my packing actually easier that I hadn't learned before. If you need help compressing it let either Andrew or I know, we're both kind of computer nerds when it comes to that stuff lol.

Though as I said, great video and really helped with the packing.

Pshhh.. Does nobody believe in clipart anymore? You clip them to each other. Be creative. Oh, and if you don't do it the right way, you'll bounce for sure.

Oh yea, clip art.. i like the name

I built a tower, a pyramid, the circle, etc...

After Bridge Day I'll try to compress the video and throw it up on the SkydivingMovies.com server so you can all pick it apart.

Can you please not do that? I know of at least two people in my neighbourhood for who the mystery of the BASE packjob is the only thing stopping them from going out and jumping. One of them already procured BASE gear (thanks, random person in California that doesn't do background checks) and refuses to do an FJC.

I'm well aware that CR has packing information in their Ram Air manual, but fortunately it takes some effort to find, open and read. Having it in full video glory on SkydivingMovies.com would do more harm than good.

Very valid point... Wasn't there a smiliar instance where a guy bought a rig off of ebay, learned how to pack somehow and then went and jumped a bridge... Though the bridge he jumped was the wrong one, the one that was high enough was a mile upstream :S Yeah might not be a good idea...

Wasn't there a smiliar instance where a guy bought a rig off of ebay, learned how to pack somehow and then went and jumped a bridge... Though the bridge he jumped was the wrong one, the one that was high enough was a mile upstream

#48 Fred

Read the list, it's important.
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

Can you please not do that? I know of at least two people in my neighbourhood for who the mystery of the BASE packjob is the only thing stopping them from going out and jumping. One of them already procured BASE gear (thanks, random person in California that doesn't do background checks) and refuses to do an FJC.

Could you tell us which manufacturer that is? Maybe they could offer an explanation.
Are these two guys skydivers? They are in your neighborhood; Do they know you BASE jump? Have they approached you?
I have more questions and I don't mean to sound rude but could you give a little more information please?

Also I don't think that finding a packing video on skydivingmovies would be more difficult than accessing CR's library. If anything it could save a couple of lives and that's always good even if it's a couple of fools...
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

are there any "background checks" that go into place if someone were to order the apex packing video...

I'm not sure, but you'd be surprised how much more work it is to order a video through somebody compared to being able to just download it.

just curious Tom, do you use 12 clamps, 3 bungee cords and 2 nails every time you pack a base rig?

I can't imagine where to put all those clamps and misc. Are you flat packing or over the shoulder packing?

I for one am not a clamper. flat pack aussie style no clamps has yet to fail me. it seems about 50/50 to me the ratio of jumpers using clamps vs. not using clamps at all. maybe someone should make one of those poll thingys.

I once managed to jump a rig with 3 clamps still on it in the packjob. it worked. humans make mistakes, just like the dead jumpers who used tools to stow their PC's and forgot to remove them.

also, what would your students do if their luggage never arrived to Europe, but they were smart enough to bring their rig carry-on. it is really nice to know how to pack without any tools...