GreenMachine

Animosity...Why?

Good Morning Gang,

I was reading the thread "Rat in the House" and it made wonder about something....why the animosity about different kinds of Parachutisting? I can understand joking about groups for fun but to seriously hate a whole group of people makes me laugh and cringe. For example: I freefly & do RW and hear jokes about each --- freefliers having improvisational dive plans --- flatfliers getting dressed 10 minutes early to dirt dive 20 times. However, neither group really has any problem with the other.

In contrast I have read, heard, and even received some harsh words from BASE jumpers about Skydivers. During my FJC we discussed the differences in culture and mindset which I understand and can appreciate. Honestly, all of my skydiver friends were very supportive of my 'Visit To The Darkside' ;)

I am not looking for a bunch of emotional replys about how some groups are pussies and other groups are tough as nails. Just some basic reasoning to support the frequent need to differniate. I once heard it said you are not a Real BASE Jumper untill you jumped an object by yourself, went home, and never told anyone because it is just something you do. If this captures the essence of doing what you do for yourself then telling some putz in a pink RW suit that he is a fag should be a waste of your time.

Lastly, that Rat was completely in the wrong!! Taking a BASE rig off of a balloon is a hell of lot safer than most of the things I saw or even did at WFFC in 2003. If he had a problem with it he should have take it up with the jumper, not the FAA. In my opinion, the only time to get authorities involved is when a person is directly in immediate danger and you can not save them yourself.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

In contrast I have read, heard, and even received some harsh words from BASE jumpers about Skydivers.

And vice versa.

If you read the thread in General Skydiving, you can see that there are some pretty offensive things being said about BASE jumpers in general. Basically that we are all criminals who have no consideration for others.

Animosity works both ways, and it's a long hard road to overcome something with 25 years of history.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Animosity works both ways, and it's a long hard road to overcome something with 25 years of history.

Yeah, I'm a skydiver AND a BASE jumper and I can't stand myself sometimes :P

Perhaps its abdication of individual thought combined with the blind acceptance of stereotypes and 3rd hand hearsay. Few people have an open mind to scrutinize and evaluate things for themselves, but rather just swallow and assimilate into whatever is told to them by the majority.

edit: this is just my guess. I see it all as parachuting, and enjoy both disciplines.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

I've pondered this one, too. It was/is similar to the initial reactions to RW, CRW & VRW before they went mainstream. Although I'm not a real oldtimer, I can definitely feel the changes in attitudes over the years. Skydivers have accepted so much self-regulation in the name of safety and commercialization. It seems we have forgotten that our sport was originally unregulated in any form. In the past, we took up donations and presented untalented folks with a bowling ball and directions to the local alley. Today, we do a rejump. Some states actually banned parachuting of any kind to protect us from ourselves!
IMHO, BASE jumping has become the new outlet for those repressed feelings and desires for freedom from the rules that was embodied by the original skydivers. To quote a popular restaurant's advertising slogan, "No rules, just right." Nowadays, just about any jumper who engages in what is now considered reckless behavior (e.g., low pull, drinking and jumping, etc.) is ostrasized. Thirty-forty years ago, this was normal! Change is or isn't always good.

Just a thought...;)

Hey Tom A.,

I had not read the whole thread in the skydiving section, honestly I don't read much in there...but after your post I went and trudged through all 5 pages of it. Damn, not only was there a lot of shitty attitudes towards BASE jumpers, but an amazing amount of igorance in general about different types of gear....

I guess since I had never personally heard a skydiver ever say anything about BASE other than 'those guys are crazy', I thought it was more one-sided. Of course I am still pretty new to skydiving and even newer to BASE so I have a lot to learn.

In the future I would love to see both groups appreciate each other and realize they compliment and benefit each other. We all know that learning to fly a parachute in a huge, open airport is easier than in a canyon or downtown. Most know that improvements in BASE gear will ultimately provide ALL PARACHUTISTS with safer, more reliable gear.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

Nick G. could chime in on some of the early days of base jumpers and skydivers trying to interact...sounded like trying to do a drug deal!
Party On!

I guess since I had never personally heard a skydiver ever say anything about BASE other than 'those guys are crazy', I thought it was more one-sided. Of course I am still pretty new to skydiving and even newer to BASE so I have a lot to learn.

You have been very fortunate. I live on a large popular DZ, and I made the mistake of bringing up BASE in a conversation with other residents. And I got majorally flamed for it.
It got so bad that P.M., the bartender threatened to kick us out.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

For example: I freefly & do RW and hear jokes about each --- freefliers having improvisational dive plans --- flatfliers getting dressed 10 minutes early to dirt dive 20 times. However, neither group really has any problem with the other.

I've seen a lack of understanding:
toward belly flyers
toward free flyers
toward tandem jumpers
etc.
(you should have seen the belly and free flyers argue about which group should exit first!)

as for the differences between BASE and skydiving...
you can have a long, successful career skydiving and know nothing about gear, just follow the herd.

those traits will lead to a short BASE career.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

All of you guys need to leave the RATS alone. hahaha.

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

I usally don't post much but I had to reply to this one.....Greenmachine has a legit point, I never got the anomosity, I've heard the bit about the different cultures etc.etc.etc that makes two different groups....but I don't buy it........skydivers say basejumpers are crazy......basejumpers say skydivers are pussies.......but to learn to base from experienced basejumpers you should have 200 or more skydives so your a skydiver before a basejumper and most skydivers that mouth off about base, aren't in skydiving except to tell people, Hey I'm a skydiver. So after all that rambling, I think technically, (even though I Hate the word) no matter how you look at it we are all Parachutists, we just jump from different things

skydivers say basejumpers are crazy......basejumpers say skydivers are pussies.

Not true

Yeah, I'm a skydiver AND a BASE jumper and I can't stand myself sometimes :P

Sometimes I'll skydive a tracking suit alone all day to get current on it for the night's BASE jump. Not once have I ever started to climb and thought, "Man, I've been such a pussy all day!" :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

skydivers say basejumpers are crazy......basejumpers say skydivers are pussies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not true

not to pick on you mate.. but look at your posts a few years back:P:D:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

r.e. BASE Jumpers V Skydivers - it is both ways.

And it sucks. Both sports are great. They are different, There are similarities. They are what they are.

Why the arguments?

People!!!!

Insecurity, Ego, ignorance, narrowmindedness, brainwashed, fitting in with the crowd, opinionated without fact/reasoning/information, don't understand the other sport, they heard something they did not like and overreacted (Even though it was their fault), selfish, wanted to appear better and could only use the mouth to acheive that goal, etc.

Basically, because some people's attitudes in both sports stinks!!!!!!.

Sadly, the angst is about difference, it is not just about BASE v Skydiving. i.e RW v CRW, tandem v sports, etc.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Mac and Faber I apologize, that was the wrong thing to say......I've been called crazy by more than just skydivers, but I have to admit I've never been called a pussie or anything else by a basejumper, should have edited that line....:$

in reply to "Animosity .... Why?"

I get the strong feeling that a large proportion of people who exhibit irrational hostility are the victims of abuse themselves and simply passing it on.

They don't know any better is my guess.