avenfoto

vent/no vent mod...

so i had this idea in my sleep last nite... i jump vented canopy for obvious reasons...

however, id like to take the same canopy to terminal,
(tall towers and low airplanes over the beach)
without having to endure the negative aspects of vents at terminal...or buy another canopy so..

what to do?

what if you assembled some f111 panels, the same size as the vents, with velcro hooks on the outside edges and the loops on the canopy (highlighted in yellow on attachment)

going low? leave 'em off.. taking a serious delay? put the panels on.. viola unvented canopy...

so,.. what am i overlooking?

Too unreliable and notoriously stiff and bulky. BASE manufacturers stopped using the sail insertion mesh slider years ago for the same reason.

Consider just putting a sail slider (possibly with a hole in it) on the canopy instead of using a mesh slider.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

last time i was in kjerag i used a sail slider and did not expose my nose and the openings were great on my blackjack

Going back to sail sliders is heading the wrong way.

Its pretty well proven that heading performance is degraded with a sail slider. Jumping something like kjerag with one is fine when all goes well, but when you go unstable have a shit track and end up close to the wall do you really want a sail slider.

I think removable valve covers sounds like a good idea.
http://georgechurchill.blogspot.com

George is right. no need for sail slider.
Do some BASE site search on packing. I am sure you will find Tons of reading.
There is no need to modify panels. Just use the appropriate pack job on a Vented BASE canopy while using the large mesh Slider for high speed velocity. No need to even roll the canopy Nose For a nice smooth opening .

It sounds like a cool enough idea, but I'd be a little wary about a panel coming unattached--partially or totally--and inducing off-headings or a mal because of uneven pressurization. Of course, your intent is for terminal objects with proper separation, so a simple off-heading might not matter that much. The other influences it could have are my point.
-C.

Just use the appropriate pack job on a Vented BASE canopy

What is appropriate pack job on a Vented BASE canopy?
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

sorry It should have said small hole mesh slider not sail slider
B.rad

What is appropriate pack job on a Vented BASE canopy ? .
-

The Key word in your sentence is - Appropriate. And I really don't know what is appropriate for you. You probably already have a good system down already.
What everyone seems to be seeking on high-speed openings is. Positive but Smooth Staged inflation with Good Headings but what everyone seems to be scared of is Not getting them with Vented big 7-cell base canopies.
What is Appropriate for Me on a normal clothed tracking jump is. (normal clothed being) just baggy pants and a wind breaker. If I am going past 10-sec. I always use a 32 pilot chute. In the jump I usually just Bust out of my Track. Square up & pitch.
I always get smooth on-heading openings by using. Direct Slider control, plus direct control of Primary Stow in conjunction with the Taping of my Brake lines. I Never roll the Nose & I Never use anything but Large-Mesh Sliders. While jumping vented BASE canopies.

I'm confused. Is "direct slider control" a cryptic term for "slider up"? And indirect slider control = stowing a bite of slider mesh to the line? Is "direct control of Primary Stow" simply using primary stow? Then what is indirect control of primary stow?

Nevermind, found the answers here:

Direct Control
Indirect Control

Hail to the heroes who put their time to share the information! (Jason Cooper in this case.)

Yuri

I'm confused. Is "direct slider control" a cryptic term for "slider up"? And indirect slider control = stowing a bite of slider mesh to the line? Is "direct control of Primary Stow" simply using primary stow? Then what is indirect control of primary stow?

Direct control is taking a bite of your slider to a band connected to your inner C line

Indirect control is the bite you take as you stow your lines into the tail pocket...

Vents can be covered but using velcro is absolutely the wrong approach. The same idea of using velcro was used on mesh sliders back in the early 1990s. The technology was a sail flap to put over the mesh using velcro. The stiffness and bulk and inconsistency of that technology was terrible. In other words, do not pursue this idea in vent/flap technology.

Have you considered retacking your flaps to prevent airflow into the vents.

Have you considered using a marquisette mesh slider instead of a large mesh slider?

Have you considered using a smaller pilot chute (but still appropriately sized)?

Have you considered getting advice from the manufacturer?

Personally, I jump terminal all the time with a vented canopy. The openings are brisk but I'm relaxed enough through the sequence to minimize shock from being too tense.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

A little off topic but when you spend all that money in taking a FJC, do they actually teach you anything or your ADD kicks in and nothing can be absorbed?

And you are not the only one...most come back from a FJC without even knowing how to pack a BASE tarp...

Maybe I should move to TF and death camp anybody for 1000 bucks.

The more I read this nonsense, the more Maggot makes some sense:S

PS
This is not attack, just a personal observation based on direct experience with FJC graduates. Flame fucking away.
Memento Audere Semper

Graduates of which FJC?

If a student spends a day packing with me, they'll be among the neater BASE packers out there.

Im the best packer in the world
and all u need to do is put duck tape over your vents to slow down the opening.
its not rocket science

i bet he wont. but if he spends three weekends in a row with you, then yes he will be.

a fjc doesnt allow enough time to absorb everything there is to know to be a well rounded base jumper. its just enough to keep you alive and get you to a point where you can ask good questions. todays base jumper has 100 skydives, probably still uses a packer at the dz, at smells like energy drinks.

-am
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

...a fjc lifetime doesnt allow enough time to absorb everything there is to know to be a well rounded base jumper.

edit to add: I'm reasonably confident in my Death Campers packing by the time they leave. Not so much with the traditional FJC students, but a lot of that depends on their previous training, pre-course practice, and preparation.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Yo!

Honestly I don't give a fuck, but what does "HIDGAF" mean anyway??? I'm a confused retarded ninja. ;)

Yuri