kameradale

slider

i have never packed with a slider.... i think i have it figured out except for what to do with it when i pull the canopy into the container.. does the slider just lay there. can it get caught on anything?? such as the toggles.

A couple quick questions:
You have NEVER packed with a slider ?
You have Never done a Slider-Up jump ?
Does you Slider get caught on Toggles or anything else when you are Skydiving ?
Are you talking about. Packing for a Slider-Up WITH your Slider pulled DOWN ?
Are you talking about packing for a Slider-up ?
Do you want it to just LAY there. Or do you want it to Slide Down. To delay your opening ?
Do you have anyone in Real Life to ask that can show you how it is done ?
Are you just teaching yourself to BASE jump by reading a predominantly skydiver BASE web-site ?

I assume you're talking about packing slider down, correct?

If so, the most important thing to remember is that if it's packed down, it needs to stay down. So either slide the front-riser slider grommets below the rapide-links and stow/restrict the slider in place using the slider bumpers; or you can tie it down by threading a line through the bumpers and links and then into the front slider grommets. Then shift the knot into the slider bumper (I can post a picture of this some other time if what I'm saying isn't clear). You only need to do this for the front riser.

Otherwise, when placing the packjob and risers in the packtray, it's good to neaten the slider up a bit. I'm kind of a fan of the DexterBASE slider-origami and it really doesn't take that much more effort.
To reiterate what has been said already and will be said more...hopefully you have some locals around to help you, as well.
-C.

For slider down, secure the front of the slider to the risers, not the rear of the slider to the risers. Securing the slider is done to prevent it from riding back up the lines. The rear of the slider is not secured because that will affect your ability to steer the canopy properly using risers.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Here's a picture which may help.

Note: route the brake lines outside of the rear slider grommets and the guide rings. Because of the way I have my toggles attached it may look like the brake lines are going through the guide rings but they are not.

If you are unsure about it at all you should just jump without a slider until someone can show you in person.

I called Dale...he is flicking a B tonight.

He is going slider down, and doesn't want to take his slider on and off between objects.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Perhaps he should leave the slider off for the B tonight. B's are notoriously more difficult than other objects, except for cliffs in some cases.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Perhaps he should leave the slider off for the B tonight. B's are notoriously more difficult than other objects, except for cliffs in some cases.

I know this, he's been told this by Marta and Jimmy as well...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Are you just teaching yourself to BASE jump by reading a predominantly skydiver BASE web-site ?

He took the Apex FJC.

Many FJC's in the US (not all of them) don't cover slider up packing because (a) it's fairly simple to learn once you've learned to pack slider down, and (b) there can be a shortage of time (it's simply impossible to cover all important BASE topics in a course that spans a long weekend).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

"(it's simply impossible to cover all important BASE topics in a course that spans a long weekend)."

That's a crock! I was taught on the way out to the antenna how to base jump. Right before my first jump they said "Jump really far out off the metal and pitch fast 'cause you don't want to put Kenny low on this two-way, he's been drinking all day and his judgement is not the best. 400 feet is sorta low, but you should be fine. And pass the joint already you nervous sissy!"

Good times
Good times

Ya Tom I was just about to ask that question of (where he took his first FJC ?) from all the info given from his 1st Post in the thread.
-
Hey before I provoke more hate mail like the one received from gharendza.
The questions I asked are out Shear Curiosity for an EXTREMELY Vague question being asked by Kameradale. How the hell is one to answer a question that is without the facts to give an answer ?
The only fact given was the first sentence. " I have never packed with a Slider."
Followed by the next sentence of: ..." I think I have it figured out except for what to do with it "
The rest of the post was just - PLAIN SCARY
-
Really kameradale you should for your own safety get someone to help you with hands-on to visually show and explain the workings of a Slider-up BASE jump.
Do You really want to LEARN to properly pack a BASE slider-up pack job Off the internet ?

He took the Apex FJC.

Many FJC's in the US (not all of them) don't cover slider up packing because (a) it's fairly simple to learn once you've learned to pack slider down, and (b) there can be a shortage of time (it's simply impossible to cover all important BASE topics in a course that spans a long weekend).

Ya, scary thing is either he is asking about packing slider down, or flicking a B slider up.....which is also pretty scary... or, he is doing his first slider up/down off a B.once again, Scary!
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

I would like to nominate this for a Nugget
..." I think I have it figured out except for what to do with it."

Dale
sliders are black death thats all u need to Know. If your not doing a slider jump. take the fucking thing off SERIOUSLY it take's 5 minutes
and it may save your life
and don't listen to any of the rifraff here they just like to bust chops
but they wont steer u wrong /maybe
TAKE THE SLIDER OFF FOR THE B
TAKE THE SLIDER OFF
TAKE THE SLIDER OFF
OR GIVE ME YOUR CREDIT CARD # BEFORE U GO
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

yeah, but the real trick is doing it in the dark;)

Yeah, just like banging Magot's sister you have to be able to do it in the dark. :P

my sister says u never call

just because u or your friends never had there slider get snagged in something doesn't mean it wont happen. it usually take around 10,000
skydives on a system before shit starts going wrong. and then they chang the design after a few people die like the CROSS FIRE or the origanal soft links. I had a stearing line get notted around a soft link and i didn't unstowe brakes until 400ft and it went bad fast under a small canopy. it never happend again, But that was because i always made shore it wouldn't.
U WONT HAVE TIME TO FIX SHIT WHEN U FLICK FROM 270
it would be a horrible to be laying on the ground gasping for air and thinking Magot was right that shit would just be fucked up.
TOSS MY SALAD

I had a stearing line get notted around a soft link and i didn't unstowe brakes until 400ft and it went bad fast under a small canopy

Hardly a great track record in order to give everyone else here advice , no offence

This is just a story i have been told but have never read anything about. An Italian base jumper was saved by having the slider on when the risers came loose on one side (probably some of you know the exact facts). A few local jumpers i know leave their slider on for this reason.
My personal preference is to leave it off on slider down jumps. It just doesn't feel right having this thing lying around in the container even if some people argue that there has never been an incident. The other argument against taking it off is rigging error. it's no rocket science really. If you get distracted, you shouldn't be packing and if you don't know how to remove it you shouldn't be base jumping.
poc

well 501 jumps in 3 years shut up when u have more jumps then me than
give all the advise u want
until then u should get your ass to the DZ and jump by the way do u BASE JUMP
TOSS MY SALAD

I wasnt giving advice......I was commenting on your ability to do so given the information you gave freely.

Personally , even with my low jump numbers and very limited experience skydiving......I know enough, not to take the advice of someone skydiving who chooses:-
1. Not to check their canopy is controllable
2. Not to unstow their control lines

...Both below 401ft

I merely highlighted that point.
Even if you do have 6000 jumps and every skydiving/rigging rating that is available.....
(note to self.....read profile of suspected Trolls before dignifying a response)

;)

You don't know the all facts of that particular incident, so don't jump into any conclusions.

It was a low pull contest that maggot, of course, won. He was jumping a stiletto 97 and pulled at 800'. Then he had that break line stuck and he was able to release it in very little time given that he had a controllable canopy by 400.

Now go out and make few more jumps :P
Memento Audere Semper

actually i have no rateing but i dont know how to take then off ...my profile so u still did
not answer me do u base jump I know u think u know what your talking about I did to when I had 500 jumps but then again. u should have more jumps than post's I think thats a good rule of thumb
SO DO U BASE JUMP
TOSS MY SALAD

To answer your question I have no BASE jumps.

But I look here to gain knowledge.

However the judgement you displayed whilst skydiving ( in the incident you mentioned) and your online 'demeanour' would not change my view of your ability to offer advice.

Also.....if you didnt have the ratings you suggest on your profile.....why did you put them on /select 'yes' in the first place....?
And if you were dishonest then....why would anyone trust any thing else you have said/suggested..??

u should have more jumps than post's I think thats a good rule of thumb

I disagree.....
I like to ask questions.....

...Now as this thread has been taken wildly sideways with your crap and my response...I'll politely step back into the shadows and let it get back on course.
I suggest you do the same.