The Official Object Strike Poll - don't post if you don't BASE, thanks.

It's always avoidable...

The only way to guarantee that you will not strike the object is not to jump.

dude! :S:S:S:S:S:S

check out this quote:

3) If the wind blowing you away from the tower is greater than the forward speed of your canopy, it's impossible to strike the object. I used to jump an "A" that regularly had very strong tailwinds, and we called it the "Vertical S".

from this post by some guy named Tom something or other

you may want to argue this with him, but then again, maybe not...

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

I placed my vote in the "Experienced jumper who has not had an object strike" category.

I have 598 BASE jumps from 71 objects. Statistically, the most dangerous objects that I routinely jump are in Moab, of which I have 168 jumps from 34 objects in that area.

I have not had an object strike yet, although I have come close on 4 occasions.

Sorry for the short reply....I'm on a BASE road trip right now!

Bryan

Now we need to define object strike. If your canopy touches the object and you don't, is it a strike?

If so, I need to change how I voted.

My canopy touched a cliff wall on jump 16, but I didn't, and I flew away from the incident. I've never really considered it a real object strike. Should I?

Lou

Now we need to define object strike. If your canopy touches the object and you don't, is it a strike?

I think here's another jumper who needs to know that..;.;) Never considered my jump #70 as cliff strike but others did.... The same shit happened.
Between two evils always pick theone never tried

JESUS.

I wont BASE for months... but i might get one then. no strike after 130BASE jumps. mainly cliffs.

I think here's another jumper who needs to know that..;.;) Never considered my jump #70 as cliff strike but others did.... The same shit happened.

Well, if you hit a cliff and get stuck on it - that is as much of a cliff strike as one can get ;)

bsbd!

Yuri.

I hit a wall in Moab last October (the day before my 1 year BASE aniversary). I had 261 jumps, most slider down and all but 2 lower than 600ft. I was wearing a t-shirt, sneakers, and no helmet.
I don't know if I could have avoided hitting the cliff, but I know I hit it 1.3 seconds after line-stretch (I checked the video). I ended up stuck on the talus and was rescued by the jumpers there. I had been jumping in Moab for 3 weeks prior 1 or 2 jumps a day.

In my opinion, the only thing I could have done to avoid my cliff-strike was not jump.

3 weeks to the day after my cliff strike I was jumping the ITW. And my new favorite place to open is 1 mile away from the cliff.:)

~
Fear is the thief of dreams...

8 slider down...max 2 sec delay....mostly fine...one there was an off heading between 90 and 180 to the right.

Kris.

Dug up and looked at the video...it was between 30 degrees and 45 degrees off heading...guess I was too excited about nothing :S.

Kris.

Hello,

here is the info to my object strike:
The cliff strike happend at the waterfall (exit #1) in the famous swiss valley. For all that don't know it: it has a huge overhung which should avoid almost all strikes. The strike was my fault, because I pulled ca. 2 sec. later than I should have done to have
the canopy open at the best overhung. The position at opening felt quite stable.
The harness is a little bit too big (even though is was made to fit me). This is why I sometimes get the riser in my face. It was the same in this jump. While opening the riser hit me. But this time my glasses fell down because of that. I even managed to catch them but after looking up I saw that I had two line twists and the canopy was heading
to the wall. I immediately threw the glasses away and thought that I will never get out of the line twist before hitting the wall. Thinking about how to solve this cost me 1-2 valuable seconds. While getting out of the line twists I hit the wall at least two times. From all I know I kicked away from the wall with both foots and the V-Tec of my FOX 265 definetely safed my ass in this situation. Somehow I got it managed to get away from the wall (probably by stalling the canopy away) and landed safely. The jump only resulted in a headache and my own basic
questions about my future in BASE jumping.
I think there are many exits where it is only a matter of time, when you get a cliff-strike. I will not do that kind of jumps anymore. Maybe only direct bag jumps when I really need an on-heading opening, because I think with that there is only a very low risk to get an off-heading and another strike again. But thats only my personal point of view. I hopefully don't find an excuse for that and change my mind ;-).

Cheers,

i hit a guy wire while clearing a 180 off an 3 wired A,i only hit by my feets and walked away whith out a scratch.no tangle ment or what ever.It were on a jump testing my dbs i guess they wasnt set as as surpossed:ph34r:

at that point i had 700ish skydives,250 BASEjumps

include in your post what options applied to you.

baa cant rember too much to vote on and too many answeres..:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I voted inexperienced with no object strikes.
17 jumps. All Spans but 1 A and 1 E. So far so good.

I have a question.

32 people voted "I freefalled the object that I had a strike on."

Only 2 people voted "I did not freefall the object that I had a strike on."

Is this because you are less likely to have an off heading opening with a PCA or SL? Or is it just because most jumps are freefall?

Only 2 people voted "I did not freefall the object that I had a strike on."

Is this because you are less likely to have an off heading opening with a PCA or SL? Or is it just because most jumps are freefall?

i would say both..
Most people freefall which will give a higher ratio of offheadings to this poll that said i also think its more likely that you get an offheading from a freefall than a SL or PCA,however on SL and PCA´s your closer to the object and to the ground therefore IF you get an offheadding on either of thouse you need to react fast or prepare to get hurt/or atleast bruised up..

Just my thourght

Stay safe
Stefan Faber