woodpecker

gear sizing

Ahhhh, Well that’s kinda like using Toyota parts on a Ford. It may work but probably not be a good idea.

Good Analogy?

Edit to add: It might not be but its the first thing that popped into my head. :P

Ahhhh, Well that’s kinda like using Toyota parts on a Ford. It may work but probably not be a good idea.

Good Analogy?

I suppose. It really does happen all the time, though. So you pretty much need to be armed against it by knowing what to look for. Even if it's not going to kill you, it may kill the guy who asks you for a gear check at the exit point (I've caught this problem 3 times at exit points--I've also had it caught on my own rig by a friend who was gear checking me).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

That may be true, but if there is a really hot chick waiting for you and you need a car to get there and all you can do is put a Toyota part into your Ford, you're still gonna do it and bone the crap out of that hot chick.

Good Analogy... B|

So what gear are you looking at give us an update.

Coco

To get back on topic.....I'm still flipping the coin on velcro v/s pin but sticking with morpheus, so either the medusa or gargoyle.

Post opinions, advice here:

Canopies: Blackjack

Post opinions, advice here:

Thanks to tom for the "base gear" write up and all who posted.

~Billy~
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

out the middle? I have seen it on rigs such as the neo and some other russian rigs. Also have seen pics of the routing. I have always routed the Bridal out of the top on my Gargoyle and have never had issues. Could you please post your thoughts on the Pros and Cons of routing the bridal out the middle as opposed to the top?

woodpecker: I have a gargoyle and a BJ260 and absolutly love it. Packing is easy, easy to keep it symetrical, easy to close, and as an added bonus looks shit hot

That's pretty much standard on all rigs where the manufacturers intended routing is out the top. Some manufacturers also put both patches of velcro directly on the bridle (so you have to fold them over against each other, which creates the needed slack). The problem is that people swap bridles around quite a bit. I've even seen several "dummies" who didn't know what that little patch of velcro was intended for.

On rigs where the intended routing is out the middle (like the Gargoyle), this is obviously a non-issue.

The problem is when people get a bridle from a rig that doesn't need the velcro (like a Gargoyle) and put it on a rig that does need it (like a DP).

Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I'll try to snap some photos tomorrow.

any word on those pics?

id really like to see this.. im jumping a warlock, and couldnt engineer a total, but the idea scares me...

I suppose. It really does happen all the time, though. So you pretty much need to be armed against it by knowing what to look for. Even if it's not going to kill you, it may kill the guy who asks you for a gear check at the exit point (I've caught this problem 3 times at exit points--I've also had it caught on my own rig by a friend who was gear checking me).

That’s a good point. And to answer your earlier question (or might have been Jaap’s), yes I do do a lot of phone ground crew jumps so I do check my gear very very carefully. I also have issues with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) checking so the chance of this happening to me is low. Not saying that it could never happen but I do check things pretty obsessively. If you don’t believe me ask Jvair. Hey Josh I’ll quote you, “Coco, its gonna work, stop fucking checking it!” :D But as I have been told by many people in BASE, that’s a good thing in our sport. Just takes me a little longer to gear up.

I have also on many different occasions and with different pin tensions, put on my gear to see what effect it would have on my pins once I was geared up. I would gear up and then take if off very carefully to see if there was any change. So far I haven’t noticed any problems so I’m not too worried about that issue when I jump by myself. The only time I could see this being an issue is if I was doing a static line on a very low jump with pre-tensioning. At the moment I am doing 600+ feet jumps so its not really a problem.

Jaap:

Dude, if it involves a hot chick, I’d do some Flintstones feet peddle BS to get there! Yaba Daba Do!

That may be true, but if there is a really hot chick waiting for you and you need a car to get there and all you can do is put a Toyota part into your Ford, you're still gonna do it and bone the crap out of that hot chick.

David,

If you do that, take it to the next level. Use a scale to see what the tension is. How about packing a tight packjob and put the rig on and get in a funky dearched position. Have a buddy use the scale to see what the pull tension is. Then try packing a "loose" packjob and arch and have your buddy check the pull tension.

I have readings as low as 2lbs on top/4lbs on bottom, and as high as 22 lbs in a dearched cat position.

Note that Avg pull tension on my packjobs are 8-10 lbs

BTW... 600ft? go lower.... JK Stay in ur comfy zone

I have also on many different occasions and with different pin tensions, put on my gear to see what effect it would have on my pins once I was geared up. I would gear up and then take if off very carefully to see if there was any change. So far I haven’t noticed any problems so I’m not too worried about that issue when I jump by myself. The only time I could see this being an issue is if I was doing a static line on a very low jump with pre-tensioning. At the moment I am doing 600+ feet jumps so its not really a problem.

Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Yea thats a good Idea, I'll work on doing that.

Dearched cat position??

Coco

David,

If you do that, take it to the next level. Use a scale to see what the tension is. How about packing a tight packjob and put the rig on and get in a funky dearched position. Have a buddy use the scale to see what the pull tension is. Then try packing a "loose" packjob and arch and have your buddy check the pull tension.

I have readings as low as 2lbs on top/4lbs on bottom, and as high as 22 lbs in a dearched cat position.

Note that Avg pull tension on my packjobs are 8-10 lbs

BTW... 600ft? go lower.... JK Stay in ur comfy zone

Dearched cat position??

dearch, like a cat about to go into water or about to hit the ground after a big jump
Leroy

I just reread the article by Tom Aiello... truly a primer for the newbie, packed with tons on great information... I noticed that he has our old email address and web site...

we're now applied deceleration

www.applieddeceleration.com

Leading Edge BASE gear is now manufactured in our shop... basically, we needed to change the name when we actually incorporated.. the leading edge website is no longer active.

thanks,

Tom Stewart
[email protected]
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com
What's YOUR Zombie Plan?

...I noticed that he has our old email address and web site...

I've updated my copy of the article, using the contact info on your web site. The next time it gets reposted on DZ.com, it'll show the changes, but I'm not in control of when it gets updated here.

As I said above, if anyone wants to read the current copy, drop me a line with an email address that can take 150k attachment and I'll send you the latest.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Also, my two cents, get a pin rig!! There are so many more benfits than velcro! They are easier to pack also.

still curious to hear all the benefits of pin vs velcro from your point of view.

how many jumps do you have on each?
what delays?
what gear configurations?

be safe

kleggo

I changed my mind. I'm gonna keep my mouth shut.....

Edited to add: Plus I don't remember most of the little stuff that I was told because there was tons of emails. I've got so many emails to go through to get all the little tid bits of info so it would take too long anyway. I'll stay on the side lines.

And thats time better spent jumping:P

tell me the bennefits on velcro towards pin(s)?

As far as i see
Pros on a pin:
I can deside exactly what pin tention i want before it pop open.

I can do flips whith out sh!tting my pants thinking if my velcro will undo

Pins are as easy to close as velcro,actualy i find it faster to close my pin rig than a velcro as on the velcro i want to be 100%sure that its all closed probaly all the way round.

As you can deside the tention on your loops/pins on a pin rig you can do what ever delay you want to(as long as you pack slider up or down for it:P)On a velcro i deafently wouldnt freefall low objects not even whith primed velcro,neither would i be happy to reach terminal or trying a wingsuit whit velcro.

still curious to hear all the benefits of pin vs velcro from your point of view.

im currius why you would preffere a velcroi rig towards a pin(s) rig?

Jaap your to funny in this tread dude... make your mind dude:ph34r:

For first gear i will deafently say
Pin(s) rig
vented canopy whith a light wingload
Helmet
Knee and albow pads
might a back protector(or just a danise jacket)
video cam to record the jumps:P

Personaly i think a velcro rig can be jumped and used safely if you know how to,most skydivers dont and as you´ll need to take care of different things on a velcro vs pin(s) you´ll be better set by the pin(s)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

out the middle? I have seen it on rigs such as the neo and some other russian rigs. Also have seen pics of the routing. I have always routed the Bridal out of the top on my Gargoyle and have never had issues. Could you please post your thoughts on the Pros and Cons of routing the bridal out the middle as opposed to the top?

Main idea is to my knowledge that the bridle is better protected when routed through the middle, especially when tracking. That is also why the Gargoyle does not need a tucking pin cover flap as the Vertex2 for example. I would even suppose it is not ideal to route the bridle from the top with a Gargoyle when you are doing tracking jumps as there might be a danger of loosening the bridle and undoing the pin. Sure the flaps will take some load but I guess that is why Morpheus recommends routing through the middle.

But that is my own understanding, maybe other reasons are more important that I am not aware of.

--
Eduard

Only question I still have is Canopy Size?

Get Naked.
Get on the scale.
Read weight.
Add 100 to your weight [in US pounds :) ]
This is your all around canopy size.

Gonna jump easy landing sites (Perrine) or high winds, you may go down a size.

Gonna jump tight landing sites, hard (cement) landings, you may want to go up a size.

Test jump your new canopy, adjust size for the next 4 or 5 canopies you acquire.

Works out pretty good.

t
==========================================

I didn't invent skydiving, but I jumped with the guys who did.

Im routing my bridel out from the middel on my Gargoyle i routed it out the top on my Vertex1.

I like the idea out the middel and never had an issue whith it.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I think I will try this on my next jump on my gargoyle after a few dry runs on the ground.
Leroy

its not a bigoh actualy i thinkyoull like it soon as you have tryed it out.
It aint more dificult to close but you´ll need to think about it the first few times you do it he he.

Im not packed right now so i cant upload a pic,sorry

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

i think i have a pic at home of it being done on a Neo... will upload if i find it

It will be interesting to try, being that I close the top pin first to secure the nose...
Leroy

i close top first aswell,no problem at all.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

sweet, I am going to try this at home for sure.

thanks Faber
Leroy