JaapSuter

I'm a Media Whore

Woohoo, what many people have known for a long time is now finally confirmed; I'm a media whore!

This weekend a photo of one of my BASE jumps has been entered in a local contest called ARTdrenaline. The photographer asked me if he could enter, and I didn't see a reason to have him pass up on an opportunity to win some money. Especially considering I'm normally the one having all the fun on our local legal cliff.

Like Dan said, it's all about me, me, and me.

On an unrelated note, I recently managed to use BASE WIKI as an example of how to align a group of chaotic people talking about contentious issues. Software engineers are much the same, and the group I presented to was very interested. Who said employers didn't like BASE jumpers?

Total bull of course, but I'll ride that wave while it lasts...

That's a desktop picture waiting to happen if it were higher resolution. :);)
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Who said employers didn't like BASE jumpers?

Funny you should mention that, I had an interview on Monday and one of the interviewers said quite smugly "so, you're a BASE jumper". My response was something along the lines of, "so, my reputation preceeds me. Now, let me tell you about risk management, safety systems, standard operating procedures, and the correlation between all these and improving safety performance. . . . .". An interactive discussion followed. The questioner changed their opinion.

I guess it is all about perceptions!!!!!!

In my current business, I have done a number of "guest safety presentations" from shop floor level to upper management. If you sound systematic, progressive, and intelligent, your business will like it. If you sound like a yahoo or your business is full of backwards people, then they won't like it.

But in the end. Who cares what they think. I jump, therefore I am!!!!!!!!! ;)
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Woohoo, what many people have known for a long time is now finally confirmed; I'm a whore!

Yes, I have known your status for some time now!;) And that cliff.......pfffft, not even scary. I can't even imgine someone would stand up there while it is getting darker and darker trying to get the balls together to jump it. Piece of piss mate:P

SabreDave

Yea I agree. Its also easy as piss to wait for the local search and rescue dudes to climb their ass all the way up to the highest tree on that wall at impact level so they can peel your dumb ass off the wall after you just jumped it in less than ideal winds with some random jumper you met on this forum who turned out to be a coke dealing flaming pedophile. Neat.

Neah, nothing to see here. Cliff is at least partially right, and even the local pub owner recalls that incident. Hahahaha... all in good fun.

Dave was being ironic in saying that it's an easy cliff. It's definitely not, imho.

Thats a really interesting picture.
The way that you are in sunlight because you are elevated and not yet in the shadow of the cliff, against the background which is all in shadow makes it look like you are superimposed there out in space.
Plus its a sort of unusual angle that the picture is taken at, and it looks like the cliff has a really low angle the way the background rolls away at that angle.

Its a good picture. Id love one day to have a picture of me like that. As has already been said, thats a desktop picture for sure. Shame its not a higher resolution or Id have already nicked it :)

Nice picture!! Where is the landing area?

Kris.

I was wondering the same thing!

Greenie in training.

There are two landing areas. One is small and challenging, embedded between two sets of powerlines. It's fun when you feel like it. The other one is a huge open gravel field next to some logging machinery. This is the easier one. See the red circles on the attached picture.

It's a 1300 foot canopy ride, close to a big wall for a large part. It's quite an amazing jump.

The photograph was made by a professional outdoor photographer with impressive camera gear. He rapelled down a few meters from the exit-point to make the shot.

I agree with the super-imposing. It looks as if I lay belly down on a green carpet, and then chroma-keyed on top of the picture.

Edit to add the attachment.

Yea I agree. Its also easy as piss to wait for the local search and rescue dudes to climb their ass all the way up to the highest tree on that wall at impact level so they can peel your dumb ass off the wall after you just jumped it in less than ideal winds with some random jumper you met on this forum who turned out to be a coke dealing flaming pedophile. Neat.

So....what was the status on the rescue? Did they charge ya for it or were they just "happy to oblige" like real super heros?;)

THat jump is sweeeet but scary as Jaap more or less said. The day we jumped it I stood up on that bitch forever until it was dark enough to not be as scary anymore.:P The winds were perfect and finally blew the sand out of my vagina so I hucked-stable.
Awesome............
SabreDave

Search and rescue in that area is a volunteer service so it was free. However, forcing volunteers to have to perform a rescue of that nature into the late hours of the night is a pain in their asses. I sent them a donation and then prepaid for several of them to go have dinner in one of the nicest restaurants in town. It was the least I could do.

Yeah, for sure! I bet they appreciated the gesture and I am sure if I found myself in a similar situation I would be very happy to fill their bellies with beer and food!

Glad it worked out...........
SabreDave

Cool pic Jaap.
"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"