bert_man

wooooohoooooo! BASE!!!

I just got me E today on tombstone in moab. What a kickass exit point to be at while completing the last of my BASE requirements! All in all, it took 27 jumps and a little less than two months to complete. My next goal is to stop being a scrub and to actually buy my own gear, so if anyone's selling something that would fit a 6'5" 200lb guy with a 280-310 sized canopy, drop me a PM :P

By the way, I highly recommend Tom's course. Even if it's only 10 degrees in twin falls. :o

wow dude congrats
How did you mannegede to make 27 jumps before desiding that you need gear your self?

complete the word in 27jumps,sounds like you were hunting it..

No worryes congrats anyway:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Well, I realized quite a while ago that I need gear, but I just havent found anything yet, nor have I managed to set aside the cash to buy it. Some very cool people have been letting me borrow gear up to this point.

As for the 27 jumps to BASE thing, it just kind of happened. I went to bridge day (S), then started doing a few jumps with a few locals in my hometown (A and B), then went to Tom's course in twin falls and jumped the perrine a bunch of times. I randomly met a guy who was going to moab, and on a whim I changed my return plane ticket to a later date so I could go with him, and before I knew it, I had my E.

Is BASE in 27 jumps fast or something?

Is BASE in 27 jumps fast or something?

hell no

in fact, it's 6.75 times longer than you need to complete the word

and you even wasted the time to do 200 and something skydives first...

I don't know what's up with all this holding back people are doing these days?

Haven't they realized yet that it's all about instant gratification?

congratulations and don't take so damn long next time!

it wasnt to pick on YOU:P

BASE is personal and you did it your personal way..

I just see the trend as getting the # sub 50 jumps as low:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I just got me E today on tombstone in moab. What a kickass exit point to be at while completing the last of my BASE requirements! All in all, it took 27 jumps and a little less than two months to complete. My next goal is to stop being a scrub and to actually buy my own gear, so if anyone's selling something that would fit a 6'5" 200lb guy with a 280-310 sized canopy, drop me a PM :P

By the way, I highly recommend Tom's course. Even if it's only 10 degrees in twin falls. :o

Congrats Ghetto. May I add to the advice of people TO GET SOME GOOD GEAR ?

WHY you want to complete the "word" ? whats the point....? tell me ? i mean in your opinion, not the way it looks?

WHY you want to complete the "word" ?

In a word: History.

It joins us to the generations of jumpers before us, and makes us feel the history and community of the sport.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

In a word: History.

It joins us to the generations of jumpers before us, and makes us feel the history and community of the sport.

also, the challenge.
each letter has it's own peculiarities. jumping all of them demonstrates an ability to negotiate a wide variety of risks.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

jumping all of them demonstrates an ability to negotiate a wide variety of risks.

Or a bucket full of luck...

Show me a thousand jumps from a hundred objects, and I'll compliment your ability to negotiate a wide variety of risks. Until then, the best we can do is assume, and hope for the best.

In a way, getting your BASE number in 27 jumps might just be a great strategy. Spreading your risk over the least amount of jumps can be a life saver. That begs the question, maybe we're better of skipping skydives all together, and getting our BASE numbers in just four jumps.

For the record, I got my BASE number in only 39 jumps, so I'm no better.

Sarcasm.... out.

And because saying you got BASE gets you hot chicks! I mean take a look at the hotties Abbie has gotten...:P
Ok, well, maybe scratch that idea. :(

And because saying you got BASE gets you hot chicks dudes! I mean take a look at the hotties hot studs that Abbie has gotten.

Hmmm....

Looking back, it took me 8. But then, I didn't want to waste time and maybe get killed before finally getting that building....

Skypuppy
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Congrats!! :D Fucker! :P

I'm sticking to the AS part of my BASE for a while.
Besides, as my sig line goes, life is all about ass.... or as, whatever. :S

My gear is gonna be built starting in January, so it looks like I got a leg up on you as far as that goes anyway! :ph34r:

I'm hitting the big wall this summer on the way to the Russian wingsuit boogie, wanna come with? B| No takers so far from my local birdies, bunch of pussies :D;)B| Wait, don't pussies eat birdies? Whatever....

Hey, and post those f'in vids pleeeeeeze!

"I know it's friday night, but come on. Surely there's something better to do than yell at people on the internet?" - Tom A.

I'm hitting the big wall this summer on the way to the Russian wingsuit boogie, wanna come with? B| No takers so far from my local birdies, bunch of pussies :D;)B| Wait, don't pussies eat birdies? Whatever....

you are going on a trip planning to have an object strike ? Wow, you have balls. What kind of wall do you plan to hit ? I heard sandstone is softer than granite.

Show me a thousand jumps from a hundred objects, and I'll compliment your ability to negotiate a wide variety of risks.

I think there are several posters here who can do that.

For the record, I got my BASE number in only 39 jumps, so I'm no better.

For the record, I got my BASE number in 18 jumps. It's no better an idea now than it was then. Unfortunately, all I seem to have learned in the interim is that BASE is the ultimate case of "do as I say, not as I do."
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Congrats Ghetto. May I add to the advice of people TO GET SOME GOOD GEAR ?

Fortunately, someone was able to loan him an appropriately sized canopy, with reasonable deep brake settings, for his cliff jumps.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I think there are several posters here who can do that.

I'm well aware of that. I wouldn't be visiting these forums if there weren't at least some people that know what they are talking about... :P

For the record, I got my BASE number in 18 jumps. It's no better an idea now than it was then. Unfortunately, all I seem to have learned in the interim is that BASE is the ultimate case of "do as I say, not as I do."

I call bullshit. I can't imagine that a slider-down cliff jump is equally dangerous for you now as it was when you had 18 jumps. Of course if you mean that you progressively do more dangerous things as you advance in the sport, thereby equalling the risk over time; that may be true.

The bottom line is that early on in our BASE career we only know that we know nothing. Later on we believe it too...

you are going on a trip planning to have an object strike ?

I was wondering how long it would take someone to comment on that :P Jeez it wasn't long!

I really guessed it would be someone not so wise in the ways of our intricately ridiculous language, but alas, I see you are just being a smartass :D:S:P

I was really hoping for granite, I figured I might as well go all out :P:S

"I know it's friday night, but come on. Surely there's something better to do than yell at people on the internet?" - Tom A.

Hello,
How did he do with the Mojo 260?

Well done Brett!
Happy to hear you are pursuing your dream.
I'm off to Israel & Jordan this week,
so please send that rig (asap) to:

James Schlernitzauer
C/O Parachute Center
23597 North Highway 99
Acampo, CA 95220

Yes, that's his name.
Another brother in need of gear.

Jimmy? Pete? Somebody?
Please let James know the rig is on the way,
and please help him out with some flicks.

God bless you.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Feel free to pass him my number. I know James from way back in his Hollister days. I'm quite close to the GC and A****** power towers.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I'm quite close to the GC and A****** power towers.

Yeah... and I'll be seeing you in a couple days!;)

I mean take a look at the hotties hot studs that Abbie has gotten.

i wouldn't exactly call your dad a stud. On the other hand, Russel, your niece was a blast.

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

Thanks for all the support, guys (and gals?) :)

I'm hitting the big wall this summer on the way to the Russian wingsuit boogie, wanna come with? No takers so far from my local birdies, bunch of pussies Wait, don't pussies eat birdies? Whatever....

Hey, and post those f'in vids pleeeeeeze!

It depends on when in the summer you are going, for how long, how much it will cost, and if I'll have internet access. Pussies do eat birdies, but only when they're on the ground bullshitting instead of flying around in the sky. Thats the punishment they deserve for letting their perfectly good wings go to waste.

I'll post some more vids for you once i get all the footage onto my computer. I have a shitload of sweet footage from the whole trip, from arriving at twin falls, to moab, and every thing in between. I'm going to make a compilation video of the whole trip (my first attempt at video editing....)

Fortunately, someone was able to loan him an appropriately sized canopy, with reasonable deep brake settings, for his cliff jumps.

Thanks Tom B| Your rig is on its way back home from salt lake as of about 3:30 yesterday.

Avery: The rig will be sent to the new loanee ASAP. You rock! I got BAS on your rig, but I really didn't want to jump a 260 at moab on somebody else's brake settings and all... I hope I didn't hurt it's feelings. ;)

I got BAS on your rig, but I really didn't want to jump a 260 at moab on somebody else's brake settings and all... I hope I didn't hurt it's feelings.

This makes me happy. Great work!