LukeH

Anyone taken this FJC in Spain?

In about 2 weeks.

I also know of one other person who has already taken it.

Edited to add:

www.baseeuphoria.com

The same people.
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

Some of you may feel that I'm too money minded...so for what it's worth: I think the price is very reasonable compared with other FJC's.

what's the cost ??
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

700 euros.

Slightly cheaper if you take your own kit.

Some of you may feel that I'm too money minded...so for what it's worth: I think the price is very reasonable compared with other FJC's.

700 Euros = US$825 at current exchange rates. For what it's worth, I taught a 4 day class this weekend for which I charged US$800. I also, of course, teach week long classes for which I charge US$0, a price that even you can probably agree is reasonable.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

700 Euros = US$825 at current exchange rates. For what it's worth, I taught a 4 day class this weekend for which I charged US$800. I also, of course, teach week long classes for which I charge US$0, a price that even you can probably agree is reasonable.

Depends on the quality of the instruction though.

I can't quote on theirs (yet), and even then I will have nothing to compare it with (I plan to do a US based one, and the Norway one at some point).

I decided to take this FJC based on location, timing, a debrief of a recent student, and talking to the instructor. (Ulli)

Price wasn't a factor. (Edited to add)

At the moment, all I know is that I don't know enough.

Depends on the quality of the instruction though.

Sure. I happen to think the quality of my instruction is fairly good.

For what it's worth, the BASEeuphoria folks seem to have a reasonably good reputation. I have no personal knowledge of their course.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Yes...but you're a niceguy. So that doesn't count.

I was referring to the FJC's the manufacturers provide. Am I being naïeve if I say that if you buy a rig you should get some sort of discount service?

Edit. And I'm not trying to kiss your ass. I meant what was posted while I was typing. Depends on the motivation. I don't mind people making a buck...but I already paid good money to a manufacturer for a rig so I have some problems with them making even more money off of me. One course was listed 1100 dollars for three days (correct me if i'm wrong). If you just bought a 2500 (or somesuch) rig...that's pushing it.

I was referring to the FJC's the manufacturers provide. Am I being naïeve if I say that if you buy a rig you should get some sort of discount service?

I believe that some manufacturers do offer discounts on instruction if you purchase a rig at the same time. Since the only manufacturers offering instruction currently are Apex and Asylum, it ought to be easy to phone them up and ask, though.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Sure. I happen to think the quality of my instruction is fairly good.

I didn't mean to suggest otherwise Tom, I meant that $825 IS reasonable if you are receiving quality instruction.

For what it's worth, the BASEeuphoria folks seem to have a reasonably good reputation.

Exactly why I chose to go there, rather wait another year to visit the states. (Damn Army ;) )

One course was listed 1100 dollars for three days (correct me if i'm wrong).

I believe that Apex (the clear market leader) charges US$1100 for a 3 day course (starts Friday, usually early afternoon, but they actually start working sometime in the morning, when they pick students up from the Salt Lake City airport, and ends Sunday about the time it gets dark).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I paid more than $825 just to fly to TF. If I was doing it now, I'd do the course in Spain. But if money is a big factor then you'll probably find BASE to be the most expensive bargain of your life.

The correspondence I've had with Paula and the feedback I've heard regarding her course has been positive.

Will

It's not that money is a factor. It's really about some people always wanting to make a buck. I can't blame them because everyone likes to make money. Even more so by doing something you like. Still it is my opinion that some things in life should remain "free". It is my good right to steer away from the moneymakers if possible.

It's not that money is a factor. It's really about some people always wanting to make a buck. I can't blame them because everyone likes to make money. Even more so by doing something you like. Still it is my opinion that some things in life should remain "free". It is my good right to steer away from the moneymakers if possible.

Hi Tenshi,

I might possibly agree with you if the instructors had regular day jobs and did this at the weekends for kicks. However when you take three or four days out of your working week as a professional skydiver ( Ulli and Paula are both AFF-I´s ) to take people on a a course then I think its more than fair that they recieve renumeration for what they are doing.

Having watched Ulli and Paula work for the last year or so i have to say people coming on their course get great value for money. I do confess to being biased however .. they are friends of mine.

David

when you take three or four days out of your working week to take people who are coming on holiday to do a course then I think its more than fiair that they recieve renumeration for their work

Sure thing. If you scroll up you can see I called the price reasonable.

That's a pretty tough topic, and perhaps one that is outside the scope of this thread.

The thing is that if you are forced to put your own resources (financial or otherwise) into something, you have a limited ability to help (or otherwise influence it). Then, if someone else decides that they are going to make a boatload of cash by "selling out" (however you might define that nebulous term), then they will have much greater resources to effect the future direction of the sport than you will. So, if you want to "compete" in having some impact on the future direction of the sport, you have to "sell out" for a bit of cash, too, so that you can try to have whatever you perceive as a positive influence on the sport.

So then, in order to work for the "good of the sport" (again as defined by you), you are forced to "sell out" a bit. And the cycle continues...

Maybe you ought to start a thread about the topic of making money in the sport, and whether it's a good, a bad, or just a reality.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'm pretty sure it's a reality (like you said) and that every athlete (;)) should decide for himself whether or not the education is worth the price on a case to case basis. Let's leave it at that.

Everyone is free to do what they want. Agree on this.

So the paying course even take the ones noone is willing to show the activity.... Every paying customer... This is what I don't like.

I do teach people for free, yes, but I don't take anyone with me I don't want. My "courses" take weeks and weeks (up to one year even) so I decide I want to be with this particular person (I never take more than one at a time!!).

This is my opinion. I hope there will be never any BASE courses in my country at "our" spots! It will endager the spirit I (and many other here) see in it. Commercializing (and federalizing) doesn't make part of the my point of view of this game.

All the best,
toni

I believe that some manufacturers do offer discounts on instruction if you purchase a rig at the same time. Since the only manufacturers offering instruction currently are Apex and Asylum, it ought to be easy to phone them up and ask, though.

Tom,

I think Morpheus also offers a BASE FJC. When I talked to Robi Jones last December, he said that they offer courses during the warmer months only.

Kris.

I think Morpheus also offers a BASE FJC. When I talked to Robi Jones last December, he said that they offer courses during the warmer months only.

I'll email them and ask for clarification.

The last time I asked them, they told me that they were no longer offering FJC's and were instead referring all their students to another FJC.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Everyone is free to do what they want. Agree on this.

So the paying course even take the ones noone is willing to show the activity.... Every paying customer... This is what I don't like.

Toni, I think that may be harsh to anybody offering a BASE course commercially or otherwise, i refer to the sentiment expressed that its only potential jumpers that people like you " are not willing to take " who end up on commerical course.

For example we could get an AFF student here who was turned away elsewhere , this could happen.. perhaps though we too would identify them as a person best suited to golf.. I have also seen people " ejected " of their BASE course. Im surprised that anybody stays on their course to be honest as they , go , outwardly it seems, to lenghts to discourage people before they even get here... talking about the dangers etc. etc. As soon as they get here , its horror video after horror video,, im sure this will over time weed out non suitable candidates aswell.. Thus lets set aside the aspertion that poeple who would do commercial courses take anybody, especially so with BASE Euphoria. After hundreds of jumps i see Paula as being as enthusistic and cautious about the sport. Ill leave it to former customers to spread the good word about their courses.

As an outsider to BASE i dont claim to know much about it and the bond that you refer to , but i do know this. There are increasing numbers wanting to try it , and in my time in Skydiving i have seen many people do really stupid things in BASE .. Such as travel to sites they know on their own and jump ..thier first jump ?? I recall getting a text at 7am from France saying " im at the top of ****** , about to do my first BASE if i dont text you in fifteen minutes call an ambulance " ,, this guy made it despute not even having a Buddy.

I think it better that people do the course with seasoned jumpers ( rather than another guy I saw do one with somebody who had 20 BASE , a low bridge pilot chute assist ).

Speaking very generally , i think these courses are good for your sport , i am assuming that the BASE community wants to expand of course. This may not be your point of view.

David is quite correct in what he says about the thoroughness and professionalism of Ulli and Paula. I plan to take a course with them early 2006 and would not really consider anyone else. I understand the points made above but in the cold light of day, friendly, accurate and trustworthy advice is very hard to come by it seems for BASE jumping wannabees.
If anyone could point me to a website or person that can help me out other than the contacts I have that would be appreciated.

Mike
www.freefalladdicts.com