CBRnick

Simon Jakeman, Author of Groundrush

I read this book a few years ago and am kicking myself that I dont still have the copy as Id like to read it again. Ill have to wait till a reasonable price copy pops up on ebay.

What I was wondering though, does Simon jakeman still base jump or skydive ? I assume that hes not passed away. No specific reason for asking, just idle curiosity is all. :)

Last time I spoke with "Jakey" (Perris Valley, California, winter 2001), he was living in San Diego and writing a book for beginning BASE Jumpers.

Try contacting Jakey through Apex BASE, California branch, as he used to sew for them occasionally.

Cool, Im glad hes still around :) Thanks for the replies.
He should write 'Groundrush 2 - The next chapter'.
Im pretty sure it would be a best seller :)

Check our Ebay.co.uk right now as there is a copy up for sale.

Its on the skydiving/paragliding page, but sorry i don't know how to make the location clicky.

Im watching that one at the moment. There is a while left on the auction yet, but I might get lucky :)

Im watching that one at the moment. There is a while left on the auction yet, but I might get lucky :)

THERE'S A COPY FOR SALE?????
Omg omg I'm going to buy that whatever the cost :o

Jk ;)

It's mine, no outbidding me.B|
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

I looked it up on amazon.com the other day and apparently there are numerous used copies available from their registered sellers starting at 5cents... it wouldn't let me order though because I don't live in the US..

Might be worth a try for someone who does..

Err...you can still order books even if you don't live in the US. Did you doublecheck?

For 10$ I can have one shipped to belgium. The book will be 0.75$ and the shipping 9.25$ :(

I have ordered books off the actual site & it's all good. But because this book is out of print, they only have it available used from certain registered sellers. I have tried adding ones from different sellers to my cart and checking out numerous times but I keep getting an error saying they can't ship it to that area..
So I gave up.
Maybe Europe is on the OK list but Asia isn't.. who knows..

Maybe you can order a copy for me too & I will get the cash to you... :)

Before you order that one on amazon (us), you might want to check the ISBN and the author's name. I don't think it's the same book.

You can try your luck on ebay (uk), or find it here on amazon (uk) for 15 pounds ($26.13 US Dollars) + shipping.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0099232618/ref=ed_ra_of_dp/203-8399750-1332742

Or search around for a cheaper one elsewhere. Note that there's a paperback and a hardcover version.

More info here http://www.groundrush.co.uk/
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

Tried to do it from the link of the UK site you posted.. same error:

*** We're sorry, but this item can't be delivered to the country you selected. You can enter a different delivery address above, or you can remove the item from your order by changing its quantity to 0, then clicking the Update button. ***

Dammit!!!

>>More info here http://www.groundrush.co.uk/<<

>>>this is a link to someone trying to make money out of BASE jumpers<<<

Stay away from this guy, his name is Doug Blaine and he's exactly what the above quote says he is . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Before you order that one on amazon (us), you might want to check the ISBN and the author's name. I don't think it's the same book.

You're right, it's not. And it's pretty easy to think that it would be because there are no descriptions whatsoever, so just want to alert others too! I would never have thought of that.

You can try your luck on ebay (uk), or find it here on amazon (uk) for 15 pounds ($26.13 US Dollars) + shipping.

Thank you for the heads up! Emailed the seller, we found a way to work around the error.. and so I am finally going to have the book!! There are still 2 more copies on amazon uk for anyone else that is interested...

Thanks again!

I have a copy of "Groundrush" that Jakey autographed for me.

The first $5,000 gets it . . .

I'm also mentioned in the book so I'll add my own autograph to it if you want (or would that kill the value?)

And it makes a great gift too . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

right cheers! after missing out on ebay a couple of times ive ordered it off amazon uk- this guy must be a bit puzzled by the sudden rush of orders! now it can go next to Base 66 when ive finished pouring over it!

edit:spelling

Hey what's up. Yep I'm still alive and well in southern california. Jumping at Perris most weekends. Did a handfull of base jumps this year so I'm still in the game. All solo, all so low. Some things never change! I never thought Groundrush would be so sought after for so long. It's a shame the publisher doesn't see it as still viable. Anyway, thanks for the interest. Be fairly careful out there. Jakey.

Wow, Nice one.

I just managed to get a copy of your book.

Excellent stuff.

Glad to hear you still have your knees in the breeze.:)
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

Hey there :)
Well I wasnt expecting a personal reply. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Your book was the first factual thing I ever read about base.
Years later Ive now learned to skydive (just about) but Im still content to just read about others base jumping.

I might even get say hello one day if I end up at Perris one summer

Great to hear your still enjoying it .

So where can I get a copy of Groundrush? My darn mom didn't get me one for Christmas like I had asked! SHE DIDN'T EVEN GET ME ANY SKY DIVING GIFT CERTIFICATES EITHER! I would like to have one of the 1st editions too. I guess I will just keep looking on half and eBay. Jake, I get one, can I mail it to you for a John Handcock? DR
"... and I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it...."