piisfish

question on reserve seal

is it mandatory in the US to have the reserve sealed ??
I once lost my seal (the string broke...) and was sad as a stone.
but when I got the explanation that it was not vtal in my country to have that seal to jump, I was happy again.
Now, I even know riggers (in Europe) who DO NOT seal the reserves. Could I jump my rig in the US if I didn't have a seal on my reserve ??
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

In Switz you can repack your reserve on your own, if you follow a course with a rigger etc etc... but you're not going to reseal it, as you have no seal. Would it be illegal to jump it in another country ?
Little precision, in Switz only YOU are allowed to jump that rig.

So long as your reserve has been legally packed in your country of origin and is within date according to the US repack cycle you do not need a seal on it

FAA Part 105.49.4.ii states:
"The reserve parachute must be packed in accordance with the foreign parachutist's civil aviation authority requirements, by a certificated parachute rigger, or any other person acceptable to the Administrator."
A certificated parachute rigger is required to place a seal with his indentifying mark on any reserve he packs. (Part 65.133)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

So long as your reserve has been legally packed in your country of origin and is within date according to the US repack cycle you do not need a seal on it

FAA Part 105.49.4.ii states:
"The reserve parachute must be packed in accordance with the foreign parachutist's civil aviation authority requirements, by a certificated parachute rigger, or any other person acceptable to the Administrator."
A certificated parachute rigger is required to place a seal with his indentifying mark on any reserve he packs. (Part 65.133)
Sparky

so this means that foreign skydivers can do as they are used to in their own country, doesn't it ?
I did not learn to pack a reserve yet, and for the moment don't see the use in it. But Maybe one day, by interest, or if like some other skydivers of my DZ, I have to travel a lot in countries with few riggers available.

Fish:

just ask your rigger to put a seal on his pack job.

It was the same in England: seals are nore communly used, but if you ask because of traveling away, they did so without any issue. It makes things easier when getting to your destination.

Also, remember, the "foreign parachutist" waiver only applies if you jump foreign equipment. Since Talon and PDR are TSOed in the US under FAA, they have to comply with US standards.
Remster

why when I was in the US last year did I not need a seal on my Javelin? Its TSO'ed but packed in the UK without a seal.

Dont know. Whats the reserve?

Also, its up to the DZ to enforce whatever they want to (EDIT: by that I mean they have a minimal to enforce but may require more). Maybe they liked your face?

My point is know the limitation of the waiver. If you equipment is not foreign, do not expect the waiver to apply to you.
Remster

why when I was in the US last year did I not need a seal on my Javelin? Its TSO'ed but packed in the UK without a seal.

It depends on the DZ in my experience. Lots of the DZs in FL know that in the UK no seal is required and will usually accept no seal. Skydive Dallas in 1999 on the other hand would not accept it (Sebastian did earlier in the year) as they were not as familiar with UK rules.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

The reserve was PD. We must have had about a dozen rigs out there in our club and it just seemed like policy - they looked, said "oh, no seal - thats right your english" and moved on.

The club used to go to another US dz - never had any probs there either.

Should this be something we need to consider? This year we're going back and there are going to be more like 30 UK rigs out there, me with a wings/pd combination... are we going to turn up and all have to get a repack??

As with all FAA rules and regulations, they are often interped diffently by different people. The way I read Part 105.49 is:
If the foreign system is not TSO'ed,
1. It can only be jumped by the foreign jumper who owns the rig.
2. The rig has to be of the single-harness dual parachute type.
3. The main must be packed by the foreign jumper who owns and is to jump the rig or a ceertificated parachute rigger.
4. The reserve must be packed and sealed by a certificated parachute rigger.

For the purpose of all FAA rules and regulations a "certificated parachute rigger" is someone how hold a rigger certificate issued by the FAA.

As I said before, this the way I read the rule.
Sparky
PS: If the rig is TSO'ed (both canopy and container) it it is subject to the same rules as any other rig in the US.

The reserve was PD.

Then, if the DZ wants to stick to the letter of FAA regs, it needs to follow FAA rules (including 180 days vs 90 days cycles).

But, just call the DZ ahead of time and check.

In the UK, I had my rigger add the seal to her pack job when she didnt have any lead pellets handy when she initaially packed it.
Remster

do you personnally believe it makes a big difference (180/120 days ??)

Me? My opinion has little influence !lol

If it matters to the DZ: yes. If they decide the stick to the letter of the rule, or err to the side the caution, they may require a 120 day cycle. As I said, call 1st. Also, as others pointed out, how each DZ interprets the rule may vary.

We have the same issue in Canada now with a 180 cycle. When I go to the US, I prefer to be within 120 days just to be on the safe side.

If you mean does it make a big difference on how the reserve will operate after 121 days? I'll leave that to riggers to comment on... But I'll stick with our 180 days cycle...
Remster

Odd indeed. Its commonly held in England that to jump in the states you must be within the 120 day repack cycle but that there is no requirement for a seal as the reserve was packed under UK regs. It seems that we are applying one half of a rule whilst simultaniously ignoring the other half of the same rule. :S

Its commonly held in England that to jump in the states you must be within the 120 day repack cycle but that there is no requirement for a seal as the reserve was packed under UK regs.

Thats what odd! :S

Unless part of your rig (container/reserve) isnt TSOed, US DZ can require you to follow US regs. But really, call ahead. And get a seal. It cant hurt, and you'll be on the safe side. I like that Rome and Roman comment...
Remster

Odd indeed. Its commonly held in England that to jump in the states you must be within the 120 day repack cycle but that there is no requirement for a seal as the reserve was packed under UK regs. It seems that we are applying one half of a rule whilst simultaniously ignoring the other half of the same rule. :S

If you will read my other posts I quote the regs, if is unapproved, i.e. not TSO'ed it can be packed by the rules of your country. It the rig or any component of the rig is TSO'ed it must be packed according to FAA rules. Very simple, no.

Yeah totally simple and perfectly clear. Im not questioning what you post in the slightest.

Im just saying that the common belief that UK jumpers have, which stemms from their experiance at US DZ's, is very oddly out of sync with the true state of affairs. I would have at least thought that if the rules were going to be broken, at least the whole of the rule would be broken and not just one half of it.