HydroGuy

Google Earth hiding objects...

There is a 90+ meter A close to my business.

It has been wiped off of Google Earth...completely non-existent.

Is this common?
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

How old is the antenna? Google Earth uses data ranging from one to over ten years old. Perhaps the antenna was build after the satellite shot the imagery.

This thing has been there a long time.

And the imagery of my area isn't very old...a year and a half max. I can tell by the construction on a hospital less than about 1/2 mile away.

And you can see it's shadow falling on other buildings and parking lots nearby.

Hmmm. Is it military?

I noticed that I couldn't find an A that I know about, which is owned by the department of defense.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

And you can see it's shadow falling on other buildings and parking lots nearby.

Maybe the photo was just taken from directly above it?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

hey, you mind providing a basic 'how to' statement on using google earth for the computer illiterate.
i am trying to find out about some earth in western nc/sc.thanks
blaine

LOL...I'm trying to figure out how to use it myself.

I looked at some exit points in MOAB earlier. Then I tried to check out this A...Google Earth is only 50-50 for me at the moment:P

Type in coordinates or a city, etc. Then I use my mouse wheel to zoom in. You can tilt to change the elevation of your eye level etc.

This is a city/county owned tower...Homeland Security must be able to edit out whatever they deem necessary.

I'll PM the coordinates and ground crew for whoever is interested though.

This is a city/county owned tower...Homeland Security must be able to edit out whatever they deem necessary.

Dude, there is a lot of stuff on Google Earth that would shock the witting. My buddy and I sat for over two hours sending links to each other of shit that should never be on there.

Your little antenna I would bet does not qualify as more important than these things. The pic is most likely straight overhead. I have found other antennas hard to see.

According to Google Earth the cliffs in the Swiss Valley are heavily underhung, more like 'slopes'... :S

...perhaps groundlaunchable! :P

www.vandrunen.ch

they also have a conspiracy of making towers invisible. they just up and disappear. ?? i don't get it. i was at the top of this particular A, when my buddy drove up and thought i was floating...:P

I've had a quick look through Google Earth. This is what I've found.

You have to download the software and install it to use it. I suggest broadband as dial up can be a pain in the bottom if you are looking at lots of different areas. If you are looking at one area it actually stores this info for you so you should get the detail quickly after you have used it for the first time.

They use satellite imagery and topographic elevations to develop the 3 dimensional images you see on the software. This means that when you try to get the side on views for many areas, the view is actually calculated from 2 dimensional data. i.e. if there is an elevation difference between two points, they will just stretch the 2-D satellite photo to fit into the 3-D image. This is why some places will appear stretched - and those pesky overhung cliffs you are looking for may be hidden (make sure you do a drop test before you jump off something that Googe Earth recommends ;)).

You will also see that remote areas are less detailed than many city areas. The USA seems to be more detailed than most other parts of the world - as far as I know, it is a USA company developing Google Earth technology, so naturally they will provide better local info. I have also heard that there are a number of cities where they actually have 3-D data so that you can see an accurate side on picture of various buildings, etc. Should make it easier for some of those foreign pilots :([:/]B|.

I checked out a property I own in Souther Europe tonight - you could actually see the plants in the garden and the type of car that was parked in the driveway. I am going to chase up the tennants about that!!!!!! ;) Makes you wonder how good the military tech is r.e. spy satellites etc. Don't look up when you go jumping, someone might take a picture of you on the exit point!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, where is my copy of Fahrenheit 9/11?????? ;)
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Here' an example of a tower being hard to spot. You can see a few shadows from this 700-footer . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Don't look up when you go jumping, someone might take a picture of you on the exit point!!!!!!!!!!!!

What if the satelite is really low on the the horizion, it would already be looking at your face.

Keep your helmet on from leaving home, to getting back!;)
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

What if the satelite is really low on the the horizion, it would already be looking at your face.

I don't think so. They have quite narrow angle of view.

Where is it? I can't see it!!!! :D

Oh, that was really bad. Sorry Nick, I'll just go away. ;)
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.