FIREFLYR

Slider down lineover

I guess this is an Incident but I'd prefer if it stayed in the BASE zone.
September 25ish 05
Malaysia, 340ft(104m) tower
Mojo 260 46'pc tailgate linemod
I was doing my 4th jump of the day,having done 10 the previous day.I exited with a gainer kicking a little as I got over, pitched onheading opening. The parachute immediately started rotating on its axis and I pulled down on the right toggle to continue the turn and avoid the tower which sent me into a spiral. I looked up and saw what appeared to be a lineover and gave 2 quick hard tugs to try to clear it, then threw the toggle. at that point i grabbed my risers. The parachute continued about another 270 degrees untill I impacted the ground. I managed to get my feet under me and flare before impacting the cement.
Luckily I only suffered a fractured L2.
I am an obsessively neat packer and sure I set my tailgate. Maybe the kicking shook something up?
I'm curious if while trying to clear the lineover I actually tightened it and that's why it didn't clear when I threw the toggle.
Id like to send a special shout out to my Hanwags worth every penney:)And everyone who helped me out when I needed it,ya'll know who you are:)Id like to attatch picks but I dont know how,I've got a Mac.
Goodtimes;)
~J

edit to attach photos ~TA
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Thanks for sharing Jamie! It goes to show that the tailgate has not necessarily rendered the LRM useless, even though it didn't help you in this case. Good to hear you're okay-ish.

Glad you're ok, good job not dying.
:)
You can attach pictures exactly the same way as anybody else... just press the "Choose File" button on the reply screen and then the "Upload attachment" button after you've selected it.

Is there video of the incident? I can host it if you don't have space.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Peter K. had a similar experience here, but cleared it before landing.

Tailgates are very good--but nothing is guaranteed in this sport.

Glad to hear it wasn't worse.

How high were you when you released the toggles? Is it possible the line over was still in the process of clearing (and the canopy recovering) when you impacted? Or was it firmly locked on?

I doubt that kicking or flailing, no matter how hard, could have popped the tailgate while the canopy was still in the container. How long before had you packed? Is it possible the rubber band was faulty, or somehow broke in the container? Unlikely, I'd think, but perhaps.

If you want some pics put up, email them to me and I'll add them to the thread.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I finished packing about 5 minutes before I jumped, the rubberband used was brand new and slightly thicker than usual.I was still 100ft ish in the air when I tossed the toggle...I think.
I email pics to you at themac.
~J
PS: the pictures were taken by Jake Avila, I cropped them to show only the lineover.

Something to consider is that a 46" PC is really just for go and throw. If you are doing gainers you had to of taken a delay, perhaps 2 seconds. That is a lot of snatch and may have contributed to the LO.

Yo, Tom thanks for hooking up the pictures!
Spicy;)
~J

Whew, crazy pictures. Video?
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Hey Jamie!
Glad you're ok.

You'd better be in good shape before I get back to SF ;)

Take care.

Jul.
JFK #1013
PM Me
No Adrenalin.... No Fun!
"Minds are like parachutes the

Wow Jamie,
Glad to hear you are somewhat ok. Heal fast!!
jen
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."

Glad you are OK mate

I've circled an area of the canopy in the attached pic; is it just me, or does it look like there is a section of the top skin wrapped by some line? I guess watching the video that this was grabbed from would prove it either way...

Ivan
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

Way to catch that:P
These were stills that I cropped, i don't have video.
any who, I was wearing Hanwags, and a spine guard, most importantly.
Yeah, I'm not sure why it all happened. hopefully I'll be back in the air soon.
~J

Something to consider is that a 46" PC is really just for go and throw. If you are doing gainers you had to of taken a delay, perhaps 2 seconds. That is a lot of snatch and may have contributed to the LO.

Treejumps,

Do you want to explain your theory behind this?

It doesn't sound right to me but would be intested in your thinking and obviously I don't know every thing.

I have been running 45ZP PC for approx last 150 1-3 second delays, half of them stowed. It s my basic all round non slider PC.

Greeny

I have been running 45ZP PC for approx last 150 1-3 second delays, half of them stowed. It s my basic all round non slider PC.

What kind of jump are you doing in that configuration? Flat and stable or aerials?

Jul.
JFK #1013
PM Me
No Adrenalin.... No Fun!
"Minds are like parachutes the

Not my theory, but a published delay chart from BR & CR. To much PC force can cause over stress on the system, and center cell strip. Center cell strip can cause of headings and line overs.

Large PC's (45" +) were never designed for being stowed, and are for 0 - 1 second delays. They are also more likley to hesitate when stowed.

Most jumpers I know use a 42" for slider down, and only go to a larger one when handheld on low stuff. A 42" works great on a 1 second or a 3 with no ill effects on either. A notable exception is a guy who uses 38" on everything he jumps, only switching to a 48" for really low stuff.

Its hard to tell from the pics, but I think that reason it didn't clear is that it appears to not be a control line causing the LO. If it was a suspension line LO (C or D line), throwing the toggle won't do a thing.

What was the wind?

Cross wind, windy probably about 10 or so mph, there is a big flag at the top, it was standing up pretty good.

I am old school, but some of the newer jumpers prefer to
not use the LRM because of the utilization of the tailgate combined with the fear of misrouting their brake What is your take on this?
take care,
space

Fear of misrouting their brakes?
I'm all for being able to release my toggles,the tailgate is apparently not a guarantee:S
from the pictures of my lineover it appears to me that there is more going on then just a stearing line over.
~J

Yo Rick James , glad to hear your OK. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Any pics of the extraction /opening sequence ?

No pictures I can find, I hear somewhere in Malaysia there is a video, hopefully it turns up.
~J

Jamie,
Glad to hear you are alright. That is pretty wicked. I bet that body armor helped a lot. I would guess you hit the ground pretty damn hard. I should be out of this damn country by the end of the month. Hopefully we can get some jumps in again. It's always a blast hanging out. You also have a high honor now....FIRST JOHNNY UTAH BASE COURSE GRADUATE TO GET INJURED. ;) Well hope you heal up well and look foreward to sharing a beer.

Bryan