skydivingdutch

transistion sabre -> katana ok?

Hello,

I want to buy a new rig/main combo sometime later (that is, not now). Currently on a sabre 135. I plan to play with the canopy for quite a while yet, I still havent touched my front risers. Anyway, when the time comes, would it be wise to transition to a katana of similar size? or would an intermediary canopy be advised (e.g. stilleto/xf2)?

http://dropman.com

It's funny how fast a canopy can change from high performance to intermediate.

It's only been two weeks since the launch of the Katana and already the Stiletto and XF2 are considered "intermediate".

They are NOT!!! They are still HIGH performing parachutes!

I have downsized slowly from PD170, to Sabre 150, to Sabre 135 and am now on a Spectre 135. I recently had the chance to chat with a guy who had done some test jumps on a Katana and asked him a few questions along the lines of “What is it like?” and “How different is it from a Stiletto?” and… “Would I be stupid to try one?”…

I was told that it was a very nice canopy, but closer in performance to a Velocity than a Stiletto and therefore it would probably not be a good canopy for me to try at the moment (with 900+ jumps).

If your profile is correct, you have less than 100 jumps. Have fun learning about your current canopy, take a canopy control course and really get to know that canopy.

Have fun and stay safe! B|

Vicki

would it be wise to transition to a katana of similar size

No I don't believe that would be a wise choice.
Learn to fly your current canopy to its fullest. The Katana is not an intermediate canopy nor is a Stiletto. Remember that it is better to take baby steps up in your progession. Do not be in a hurry to downsize or purchase a high performance canopy.
Keep in mind the saying: "Stupidity should be painful" it has served a lot of folks well.
I advocate strongly for canopy coaching, again going back to learning to fly your current canopy to its fullest.
As Derek would say....think.:) read this

have a look at the post I made here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=915222;page=4;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
It's part of a review of the Katana by Pete Allum.
It suggests that the Katana is definately not suitable for Novice / Intermediate jumpers. I'd also advise reading the whole thread...
Will

edit: thanks Ian - I forgot about he clicky part...

OK ok, I know the stiletto/xf2 are high performace but it was my understanding that katana was a step above. Anyway, i was just trying to get a feel for what the differnt canopies are like.

I am NOT planing on downsizing or switching anytime soon.

seriously, I am smart enought to know this. There are ppl I know who jump elipticals when they probably shouldnt , just because they like to make SLAMMs, (so far all turned out ok).
More of a 'for future reference' question. I guess I will demo jump a few different canopies when the time comes (multiple hundreds of jumps)

http://dropman.com

I believe the orignal Crossfire was to be direct competition for the Stiletto with better opennings and a longer recovery arch. Now I believe the Katana is to compete with the Crossfire 2 which is a step above the Stiletto but just a step down from X-braced. But if you really want the best comparison you should demo as many different canopies in the performance level you want.
Make no mistake the Stiletto, Crossfire, Crossfire 2, Vengance, Katana, Heatwave, Samari, Jedei are ALL high performance canopies and need to be flown and treated like it. Good Intermediate canopies are Safire, Safire 2, Sabre 2, Hornet all of these are semi eliptical.
Kirk

It's funny how fast a canopy can change from high performance to intermediate.

It's only been two weeks since the launch of the Katana and already the Stiletto and XF2 are considered "intermediate".

They are NOT!!! They are still HIGH performing parachutes!

Just to clear this up, I believe skydivingdutch called a Stiletto intermediary, not intermediate. As in a stepping stone to a Katana. As in lower performance than a Katana but more than a Sabre.;)

Anyways, I have no advice to offer as I don't have enough jumps to offer it. I just wanted to make sure someone wasn't getting burned for something they didn't do:)
Flying Hellfish #470

Hey dutch, just something I noticed recently. Some people read the initial post (myself icluded) and respond to that without reading the other responses. I just noticed it in one of the threads I posted and well. No I know why I should read the WHOLE thread BEFORE responding.;)

That's why you get posts that seem to have ignored what you say later in the thread.

Just FYI.