skypuppy

scared? lonely?

Looking thru my logbook today came across this 'nugget'.

'Oct. 20, XXXX. Solo Antenna, 750'. 12:50 am. Cold, Dark, Lonely. Scared. Waited up top to get courage. It wasn't working, so I went anyways.'

Ever feel like that?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Nice,
Last night.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

I often feel braver alone as I feel more in control of events to come. It's the doubts expressed by others that sometimes spooks me. I'm screwed as soon as someone says, "It don't feel right."

I took to jumping alone quite a bit, and thought I had fear thing licked, until one night I was on the 40th floor and looking over the edge. There is no wind, no traffic, and the big empty parking lot across the street is massive. There is nothing at all to stop me from going. But, I just couldn't do it . . .

Ever feel like that . . . ?

I was in a fight with my inner man and I lost. I climbed that building twice more and the same thing happened and I walked back down both times. The fourth time I did just as you said, I just went. However, later I realized I didn’t win that game, I just choose not to play . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Yes. A couple of times.

Once off a bridge. Then I turned around and saw a picture of Seth Blake taped to the steel at the exit point.....

....that was a very nice jump.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Travelling through the UK, I went to 2 well known BASE sites (bridge in the west and cliff down south).

At each location hung a sign along the lines of:

DO you feel lonely, scared, depressed, angry? Talk to us before you make any decisions. The Good Samaritans".

So I did. ;) Once they realised what I was doing, they didn't think it was very funny. :(

In hindsight, neither do I.

:)
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Priceless!

BASE 3:16 - Even if you are about to land on a cop - DONT FORGET TO FLARE!
Free the soul -- DJ

strange thing is, I find it easier to control my fear when I am solo.

Is that strange?

Travelling through the UK, I went to 2 well known BASE sites (bridge in the west and cliff down south).

At each location hung a sign along the lines of:

DO you feel lonely, scared, depressed, angry? Talk to us before you make any decisions. The Good Samaritans".

So I did. ;) Once they realised what I was doing, they didn't think it was very funny. :(

In hindsight, neither do I.

:)

thats the second story I have heard from an Aussie about the UK Span down west that made me smile......... the other was from Darcy.....

Other people make me nervous,I never let anyone gearcheck me, I know I did it right. the closest Ill do is say "looks all right?,lets go"
Solo's are strangely comforting,even if you're scared,cold, and lonely.
The feelings never lasts longer than 3...2...1..............
:)~J

for whatever reason ive found that its infinitley easier for me to just take a deep breath and commit than it is to stand there, contemplating, and then count down 5,4,3,2,1, yada yada yada,... but thats just me...

Counting actually distracts me, I only count when I'm cueing a camera or if its a multi way.
~J

strange thing is, I find it easier to control my fear when I am solo.

Is that strange?

wont help control the bleeding though dude....
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com

How about being on top of a B, on one side the city and on the other a huge lake with Northern Lights above..

At that point I wish I would have had someone to share both the view and the jump.

Lonelyness..

Jul.
JFK #1013
PM Me
No Adrenalin.... No Fun!
"Minds are like parachutes the

How about being on top of a B, on one side the city and on the other a huge lake with Northern Lights above..

At that point I wish I would have had someone to share both the view and the jump.

Lonelyness..

Jul.

I feel with you and you know it. One day I`ll visit you and we go out and have some fun up there.

"There is nothing at all to stop me from going. But, I just couldn't do it . . . Ever feel like that . . . ?"

Weird, but I did, just a week ago. I was on top of the Pizza Rock, hours after my last jump. No one was around, but for the longest time (about 10 minutes by my watch but it felt way longer) I couldn't jump.

I was geared up, completely confident in my equipment and pack job. But each time I started toward the edge, a LOUD voice rang in my head... "What if it doesn't open?" Won't open? This ALWAYS opens! parachutes want to open.

Again to the edge, and again, "Those are awfully sharp, pointy rocks down there. Look hungry to me." No, they're just rocks, and I'm not hitting them because this rig always opens. Now shut up and let me jump.

I looked both of my hands and thought of Gene Wilder in Blazing Saddles. "Look at that hand. Steady as a rock. Yeah, but I shoot with this one" (shaking like a sewing machine.) My left hand was steady as a rock, but my right, holding my pilot chute, quavered a good half inch up and down.

Deep breath, two steps toward the lip of the cliff and "How about an off-heading opening? You know that happens. You got bit less than a year ago on that tower." OK, it can happen, but that's the risk I take and accept. Besides, I'm armored up, I'm fast on the risers and this is one of the cleanest pack jobs I've ever done.

I eventually got off that damned rock with a perfect, on-heading opening and a landing a couple of feet from my target. No problems on the next jump, either.

I dunno, maybe I had indigestion?