JaapSuter

Moving On...

Warning, this post has drama in it...

Hey everybody,

the time for me has come to move on. I will be spending my energy on other things. These forums have been a great help for me and I met many great friends through it.

I have recently received some PMs and emails from different people asking for BASE related advice. Given that I only have 63 jumps, I hesitate to give advice and prefer to forward them to more experienced jumpers. I realize these emails are probably prompted by my writing style which occasionally suggests that I know what I am talking about.

I do not. I'm lucky to be alive still.

Changing my writing style is not an option. Lurking or occasional posting is not possible either. There is too much bullshit -not all of it bad- on these forums to be able to remain passive. So I'm going cold turkey. I've done this before in other online communities. I join the group, frantically post-whore for a while and then move on to other things in life.

Thanks everybody. I had a great time here, and I hope that other students like myself will be able to learn as much from these forums as I did.

To all of you; please drop me an email if you're ever in the neigbourhood. I always have a place to stay for anybody, and if you bring a rig I'll have some objects too.

And remember; the risk in BASE is not the object nor the ground. The real risk is your mind. This sport is not about whether or not a particular jump is safe. This sport is about whether or not a particular jump is within your comfort zone. If that means sub-150ft freefalls, go for it! Make sure you really understand your comfort zone, and don't let your friends pressure you into growing it. Then, have the BASE knowledge and experience to asses a jump and classify it as a go; or no go.

So goodbye to bits and bytes. See you all in real life. Safe jumps!

Jaap

p.s. I won't be reading this thread or checking PMs. I can be reached on [email protected].

Jaap, I'll join you for a 2-way. There's just too much bullshit here and too many morons.

It's just not worth it.

C-ya!

Yuri

Jaap, I'll join you for a 2-way. There's just too much bullshit here and too many morons.

It's just not worth it.

C-ya!

Yuri

I see.

Morons, eh?

Tell you what, dude. Jaap wrote a nice letter explaining why it was time for him to sign off. He didn't throw mud at anyone. I, for one, will miss him.

You, on the other hand, I won't miss at all.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Sorry to see you go Jaap. Your posts and questions I always thought were well thought out and inspired a lot of great, productive discussions. I'll miss ya here. :(

Glad you're still jumping though. B|

Cya at the exit point!

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

much fun posting, PM, and IMing with you this year. You will be missed, Hope you keep your IM going incase I am in your area or visversa...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Think less.
Jump more.

Oh, wait... you are. Good work.

Think less.
Jump more.

Oh, wait... you are. Good work.

Type...... "think less. jump more" ............less
Jump more!
SabreDave

sorry to say that after a chat to Jaap yesterday he posted this but said it wasnt about my,but i dont really trust him on that one...

Jaap i think your a great guy,i still mean what i told you(you asked for my oppinion),and i see no reasson to why you should leave dz.com for that...

Its all personal same as BASE.. i respect you for your dessision but hope you change your mind.Atleast you should still pay me a visit;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Jaap,
you will be back at some later point. trust me on this one... base is not a sport; it's a mental lifestyle.

Chris
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

base is not a sport; it's a mental lifestyle.

Although, so is DZ.com, and two aren't necessarily connected. There are BASE jumpers who don't participate in internet chat forums and continue to enjoy the sport, the camraderie, and what the sport means to them, in absence of the internet.
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

Yeah, I've always made sure my jump #'s exceed my post #'s to DZee or Blinc ;)

Yeah, I've always made sure my jump #'s exceed my post #'s to DZee or Blinc ;)

HEY!!!:ph34r:
only becourse some of us once were down due injury and found help here plus were the only jumpers in our regions and goes here to talk to other jumpers dosnt mean that you can make fun at us...:D:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Sorry to hear you're going to leave dz.com, I always like your posts, in fact, that's why I clicked on this thread...

I'm glad you live relatively close, it won't be hard to stay in touch. Talk to you soon.

Katie.