johnny1488

Rolling the nose and other such voodoo

I am a packer and the people i pack for that are jumping bigger or older canopies usually ask me to roll the nose.......it gives them a little bit of a snivler, but a soft opening......i noticed that jumpers who have gotten hurt and suffered broken backs and such usually request athe nose to be rolled at least 1x..........

skygirl1
" Mean people SUCK!"

Things do happen quickly up there, but every oppertunity you give your slider to spread out and get a firm seat on your stops will help the opening.

If a cell or two was to grab some air as the bag stripped off the canopy, before the line groups had spread out, your canopy would begin to inflate, and force the slider down prematurely.

It's a big struggle between airspeed holding your sldier up, and your canopy trying to spread out and force it down. As you slow down, air pressure on your slider will decrease, and the canopy will begin to win the fight, but every but of help you can give your slider in the early stages is beneficial.

I agree.. some canopies you have to let the slider do its job..
The past two canopies I jump regularly a Jedei and a Nitron would smack the crap out of me when I would roll the nose. The canopy would take too much time sniveling and the slider would come down the lines then bame the canopy would open and hard.

But once I stopped rolling the nose the canopy would open quicker causing tension for the slider to do its job and I never had a hard opening again on wither of the canopies..

Much of packing nowadays is essentially voodoo

That is pretty much the truth. If it makes the customer feel better i'll do it. Otherwise a standard pro-pack with good stows, straight lines. will do it.

F111 doesn't play much of a role unless you actually cut holes in the bottom of the canopy

I have seen an old time jumper just frustrated and cut a hole in his slider with a knife, to get a faster opening.

Does it do anything? I know plenty of people swear on rolling the nose/tail/ spend 20 minutes getting everything in order in their preparation to lay the canopy down.

I have watched openings in slo-mo and thought about it an awful lot and it seemd to me that as soon as the last stows come off the bag and the slider hits the airstream, everything you just spent 20 minutes on goes right out the window and the canopy is going to do what its designed to do.

Assume that the slider is all the way up and the brakes are set and not gonna line over. Does waving a dead chicken nailed to a packing paddle over your sabre/monarch/any canopy you want really do anything?

When I got my Stiletto (new) I hardly ever had a soft opening. Tried all kinds of stuff, rolling tail, nose (even though PD advises not to), different ways of stowing the slider.... Even when a master rigger packed it, it was still the same.

Finally I sent it off to PD to be checked out. They kept it nearly 3 months (I wasn't in a great hurry since I had another canopy). It came back with a bigger slider. Now it always opens softly, without any special voodoo.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Why didn't you try the dead chicken?

It probably would have been as helpful as rolling the nose proved to be.

However, a trip to White Castle sufficed, and it's nearer than KFC.:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Does it do anything?

Yes, it increases your chance of an off-heading opening. After experimenting with rolling the nose, rolling the tail, positioning the slider just so and standing on one foot, I have come to the opinion that a longer snivel doesn't mean a softer opening. These days, I don't roll the nose, barely roll the tail, make sure the sliders is all the way against the stops, and I have pockets sewn on the sliders of both my rigs.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Back when the Falcon was a popular parachute, properly rolling the nose DID make a difference.

There were many of them at them dz when I started skydiving. In fact that was my very first canopy. Don't roll the nose... ugh. Good Technique rolling the nose.. Not ugh....

This also went for the Ravens and lots of others.

It does work on many parachutes. That ever so brief moment the air doesn't hit the bottom of the nose opening, made a big difference in how rapidly the canopy inflated.

Thank god, or deity of choice, the parachute manufacturers figured it out since then.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I agree that rolling the nose increases snivel time, but I'm not convinced it makes for softer openings. I think pockets on the slider are the best way to get a softer opening without sacrificing extra time because of a long snivel. But I know I'm not going to convince a lot of jumpers that still swear by rolling the nose :P
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I can prove it with a Falcon.

However, changing things like the slider and adding pockets would be a better method.

However, some saturday morning, hand me an unmodified Falcon, and hand you an unmodified falcon. You go put the slider pockets on while I go skydive all morning ;)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto