Thijs

Starting Skydiving for BASE

Don't trick yourself into thinking I have XX amount of jumps so now I can start trying a hand a BASE.

Now, I'm sympathetic to the general idea that BASE is very dangerous, and that one should prepare carefully before that first jump. I also think it seems like a waste (to me) to spend a bunch of time skydiving without really wanting to skydive at all, so I understand the "skydive to skydive" comments.

But this... If a person starts BASE jumping without a bunch of skydives, they catch hell for not doing at least XX skydives. And now, if a person proactively researches things, then does XX skydives building skills for BASE, they catch hell for wanting to start BASE jumping after that?

Damn... My brain hurts. I'm glad I'm already jumping, 'cause all these rules are just too complicated for me.

what is your motivation why you want to get this?

I imagine it's the same as why many of use BASE jump. In the words of Carl Boenish: it's a celebration of the human spirit! What's not to like?

You have no experience, little or no training, and have no idea what kind of skydiver you will be let alone be able to take it to the next level such as BASE.

Which is probably why he is getting into skydiving at the moment. I'd say that's a great decision.

Don't trick yourself into thinking I have XX amount of jumps so now I can start trying a hand a BASE. That mindset is an accident waiting to happen.

But we don't know how his mind works. Perhaps he already has the appropriate mindset, distilled through many days spent climbing, mountaineering, platform diving, non parachute based rigging-work, etcetera. I'm not saying that this is the case. For all we know, he could do ten skydives, decide it's too boring, buy a rig off of Ebay and go kill himself.

If he was getting into BASE, we should consider him cautiously, and measure his mindset downward for his own safety. Considering he is getting into skydiving, we ought to give him the benefit of the doubt and commend him for this approach.

Mindsets are not developed through skydiving alone. In fact, the general impression that I get is that the less skydives a person has, the more tactful and intelligent he is in his approach to base, both in execution as well as ethics and theory. There are many exceptions to this general observation.

I don't think it's the low-timers dedicating themselves to BASE that will become a problem. They are flying seven cells from early on in their career and focus strongly on BASE skills. A much bigger problem is the hardcore freeflyer and swooper who has never spend much time tracking, nor played with a canopy bigger than eighty square feet. After 400 jumps he suddenly realizes that BASE might be cool and thinks he can take a few shortcuts because he already has many (quote unquote) jumps anyway. He'll end up borrowing a rig from a friend and run headlong into BASE. He is the person that start jumps the slider-down cliff without tuning his brake settings.

For the record, Thijs and I have talked a little offline. While I am in no position to give any sort of BASE related advice, I would like to argue that he seems an intelligent and heads-up person that, for somebody with a desire to go straight into BASE, approaches the sport in a great way.

Just don't poop your pants on your first skydive, ok? ;)

Edited to add: with only 220 jumps, I am in no position to write what I did above. Please take my words with a grain of salt. I'd delete the post, but somebody with more than 1000 jumps specifically asked me not to.

If you really want to know how to make it easier, think about the rigging aspect.

Probably the most overlooked part of learning to BASE is rigging skills. If you learn how to assemble complete rigs and pack reserves ... neatly... parachutes begin to make more sense.

Another cool thing about it is when you put holes in your canopy you can patch them yourself. If you put your canopy over a light pole and use your hook knife to cut the lines so you can get away, you can fix it yourself.

I can't say enough about learning how to rig. You don't have to become a rigger, but get the knowledge. Buy a decent sewing machine and make stuff. It comes in handy. Don't tell your friends though because they'll want you to fix their jumpsuits.

Get a large 7 cell canopy and learn to fly the canopy backwards, do back spins. Swoop it, land around corners. Just wring the heck out of it.

Do CRW, Accuracy, and as many skydives as you can afford. They help more than you know.

During skydives, learn how to be relaxed and symmetrical during deployment. Learn to track. Race your friends on tracking dives so you can track really fast.

And simply … don't be in a hurry.

Good luck
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

It doesn't really boggle the mind...

We're just sick of watching our freinds go in.

Good luck on the journey. But please make it a LONG journey.

-smd7

I have a friend that was into climbing, saw some BASE jumpers, and thought he'd like to do that. So he started skydiving. :)
He is now both a skydiver and a BASE jumper, and pretty happy about it.

-To the people that are concerned about someone interested in base this early on, do you not have future goals in anything else you do in life? Just wondering. I'd like to do some big-ways some day. Am I now dangerous because I shouldn't be doing it yet? I think this argument sounds silly directed at someone that seems to be willing to go through appropriate training (and not his version of appropriate, but what others with experience would recommend) to get there.

I get what was being talked about above regarding focusing on the task at hand whole-heartedly...but I am going to fly jets some day. Does that make me a 'dangerous thinker' because I'm still working on little Pipers right now? :S I have future goals, but when I'm in my little bird, I'm all about the business at hand. ;)

-I just offered because I know of someone that fit the original poster's question. :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I started skydiving wanting to get into base. I don't see how having a goal is bad. Right now I'm having fun in the sky and working on my canopy skills (Giant 7-cell canopy), and reading as much as I can.
You'll have lots of fun in the sky. B|
----------------------------------------
....so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Has anyone missed the fact this person has not even gone through the static line course and is hell bent on getting BASE? After reading your comments, what is your motivation why you want to get this?

I can't really explain (in decent words) what attracts me into basejumping. The fear/danger/adrenaline are defintly factors in that, but I'm also keen on the factor of traveling around the world to jump (and to combine it with other activities).

Edit: I do not really feal the need to 'justify' my actions to anyone, weather it is concerning caving, diving, skydiving or basejumping. I just want to have fun. Isn't that what it is all about? :)
I have read that basejumping and skydiving are quite different (I don't see basejumping as a consequence of skydiving anymore, I don't see it anymore as a natural progression as I used to).
Maybe an analogy for example: if someone wants to drive bit truck, he first has to learn to drive in a safer environment, meaning driving a normal car. Later he will then progress to driving big trucks. He might not even like driving the car, but will do so to fullfill his dream. But not everyone who is able to drive a car, is able to (and wants to) drive a big truck.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but do a poll on the EXPERIENCED people who frequent this board and ask them how friends have been lost and bones broken in this sport.

I am aware that people die in basejumping and get injured doing it (as Tom A. once said: I basicly lose a friend every six months (or something like it)). Death itself is a big stranger to me. I've never lost someone close to me because of death, but I have to admit that I don't really have a lot of close persons, so that is also a factor. Never had broken bones (and do not intend to ever have any ;)) so I know nothing about that either.

If you really want to know how to make it easier, think about the rigging aspect.

Thanks for the advice. Since I will not be able to jump very much (money related) I can spend time doing that (and maybe make some money :)

But we don't know how his mind works. Perhaps he already has the appropriate mindset, distilled through many days spent climbing, mountaineering, platform diving, non parachute based rigging-work, etcetera. I'm not saying that this is the case.

I'm a beginning caver and have some experience in high diving (both good and bad). I feel that weather it is rockclimbing, caving, canyoning or basejumping have a lot incommen, on the level of mindset approaches. I see people who are lacks with safety, urge students to do things fast, ect Something I also noticed is that for most people at our club, the caving isn't really the thing. The drinking and parties for them is more important, something that I find less important.
I do a lot of plateform diving. As there is no club at our pool, I'm forced to jump during public hours. Well, there are always these guys with a big ego that jump to show off (atleast, that is what I feel). They say to each other: 'ha, if you don't do that your a pussy' or they see someone doing something and say 'I have to do that too', they laugh with people who make mistakes. I guess you (to Jaap) would call that an inapropriate mindset? They also seem not to learn from bad experiences.
I don't like to jump when there are a lot of people around, don't talk to people about the jumps (unless they ask something about it). I feel I became a lot more carefull after an accident at the pool.

Just don't poop your pants on your first skydive, ok? Wink

I'll try ;) not to offcourse.

We're just sick of watching our freinds go in.

Don't think I'm not.

But the answer to that is "don't jump" not "jump only the way I tell you to" because so far no one has hit on a sure method of depressing the fatality rate.

But I can't help noticing--like it's fucking crater inside me--that all the people I find myself missing from day-to-day had plenty of experience, and it didn't change their fate one goddam bit.

If I thought that giving orders would keep the people I love alive, I'd get a uniform. But it doesn't work that way. And all that ever seems to happen when we try to control others is that we suck the life out of them so that they're as good as dead anyway.

rl

If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

...The drinking and parties for them is more important, something that I find less important.

I heard someone say once, "AT first you will come for the skydives... Then you will come for the people..."

No matter how hard you try, you will get involved in the interpersonal side with people at the DZ or BASE. One needs to embrace BOTH the personal side and the learning side.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I started out wanting to get into BASE jumping, I got in contact with Thijs and some other people and they’ve helped me a lot. The next logical step was skydiving of course and I looked at it as a pre training stage thinking to spend not to much time in this stage. But that all changed after my first jump just recently. I want to become an experienced skydiver before even thinking about getting into BASE. Not because I could be a better BASE jumper if I do but because I know skydiving and all its aspects are going to keep me busy for a long time not to mention that I love skydiving. And it can’t hurt to first become an experienced skydiver, with that said I’m not saying that a less experienced skydiver couldn’t be an excellent BASE jumper.

Simply put into one sentence I’d say people have different ways to approach BASE jumping and that approach can change throughout there journey.

And the key phrase for me personally is “no need to rush it”

I’d say people have different ways to approach BASE jumping [...]

Bingo. And I think it's important that we respect (even celebrate) those differences, even when it's made difficult by the knowledge that, sometimes, people die around here.

...whatever happened to rational anarchy?

My question is this: What is that odd psychological quirk that allows us to make rules for others even as we declare our personal freedom from rules?

My next question is: And what's that bit about personal responsibility?

The way I figure, we all have the absolute right to choose our own path through life to death. But each and every time someone elects a road that deviates from the common wisdom, all hell breaks loose.

On this board, of all places.

It just boggles the imagination.

rl

Well said!

I started skydiving solely to BASE jump...skydiving as I was aware of it wasn't really appealing to me.(I only knew of belly RW work or skysurfing). But I'll tell you what, every time I would see Jeb's "A Year in the Life Of" or whatever it is called, I'd get chills up and down my spine.

My friend Bill Stampfle, who was once one of BR's FJC instructors, reccomended I have a minimum of 150 skydives. So I drove my ass out to Perris and Jim Wallace, who Bill happened to also once work for. This was Jan 31st of this year.

I was upfront with Jim Wallace from the day I set foot in his school. I told him my sole reason for skydiving was to BASE. Apparently I said it with enough conviction, because what he did was give me lists of canopy skills to work on and drills to perform during every skydive. Now, being that this is Perris and all, I'm sure the attitude towards BASE jumping is much warmer than some other DZ's.

All that being said, I now have ~110 jumps. I would love to say that the magical number 150 is coming up soon and I'm off to Apex...but the fact is I don't think I'd be comfortable enough @ 150 jumps. I'm shooting for 300. And I'm also awfully glad that I found freeflying...because I still think turning points is boring...but flying your body in a multitude of positions and angles is pretty cool.

In the meantime I lurk this forum. I haven't bothered stopping by Apex yet...who knows, maybe this winter I'll be hitting Tom up on his FJC.

My point is starting skydiving solely to BASE isn't that far fetched...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Seems pretty crazy to me that the starter of this thread already has their mind made up about skydiving... which they've apparently never even tried.

Seems pretty crazy to me that the starter of this thread already has their mind made up about skydiving... which they've apparently never even tried.

If he goes out the door for the first time thinking it will be just a casual skydive he'll get a shock:o

HydroGuy:
..." I now have ~110 jumps. I would love to say that the magical number 150 is coming up soon and I'm off to Apex...but the fact is I don't think I'd be comfortable enough @ 150 jumps. I'm shooting for 300."
-
" My point is starting skydiving solely to BASE isn't that far fetched... "
-

Very honest and understandable statements.
I think there are a lot of people like you who think they want to start Skydiving in order to BASE jump.
When they actually start to learn to Skydive and start to take care of themselves and start to become
Altitude Aware.
They see that what little they have learned about Taking care of themselves when doing that 1 Minute of Free-Fall and pulling @ 2000 feet, also to the mechanics of an open Canopy and the skills of flying and Landing.
When the Beginning goal of skydive jumps / maybe 200 for example, Starts to appear on the horizon.
Most I think realize that the learned skills of those 1-Minute skydive. Will now be reduced to 10 seconds or less from begining to end in some cases when making a BASE jump.

The Big-Picture sometimes becomes a Little More Clear @ that point to most enthusiastic Wana-Be, BASEers.
Then they start setting a more realistic Learning Path to the Dark-Side...........;)
HydroGuy:
"The Dark Side Already Owns Me... "

edit to add:
Your intelligent statement for your ending of Post should be.
I Will Not be in such a hurry to be -Consumed, Overpowered and Owned- by the Dark-Side of BASE jumping to soon.
Most of the Jumpable Objects in the world will still be there along with a few new ones when I start.

If he goes out the door for the first time thinking it will be just a casual skydive he'll get a shock:o

I don't think I have done this.
I want to skydive, already for a long time (as long as I can remember), it is only that fixed object jumping gets more of my attention now and in fact is a factor why I now start skydiving. Without the dream of basejumping insight, skydive would have probably waited some more years.

I don't find skydiving stupid, or for pussies, or something to look down on. It's a beautiful sport and I think (and hope) it will be fun. It is just that I will probably focus on things that most skydivers not really focus on, and vice versa, for preparing me the best for base. But, I will also do things skydivers do.

Right now the plan is to start jumping, complete the course, train canopy skills and tracking skills and rigging, start wingsuit, and only after that starting base. That's it for now, that plan can change anytime.

I'm not really setting a number in my mind. I'm not saying that I will only jump after 200 jumps. I will jump when I feel ready, and other basejumpers (mentor(s)) say I'm ready. That could be after 200 jumps, that could easly be only after 500 jumps. Focussing yourself on a number is pointless, and most of all, dangerous.

If skydiving didn't interesed me at all, why would I waste (in that case) thousands of dollars on it? I could just buy a base rig, fly to the US and give that ski-dude a call. Lot's faster and lot's cheaper. (but not really a good plan, so I won't do it ;))

Two weeks left, looking forward to it. :)Thijs

Thijs"
..." I could just buy a base rig, fly to the US and give that ski-dude a call."
-

He's a smart-ass. I like him already.

Two weeks left, looking forward to it. :)Thijs

Three weeks here, can't wait :P

Then they start setting a more realistic Learning Path to the Dark-Side...........;)
HydroGuy:
"The Dark Side Already Owns Me... "

edit to add:
Your intelligent statement for your ending of Post should be.
I Will Not be in such a hurry to be -Consumed, Overpowered and Owned- by the Dark-Side of BASE jumping to soon.
Most of the Jumpable Objects in the world will still be there along with a few new ones when I start.

My Dark Side sig refers to freeflying...not BASE...maybe I'm using it wrong. BASE already owns me too, but I'm not going to put that in a sig line being that I've never jumped an object.:|

I'm definately not in a rush. If there is one thing I have learned in my 100 or so jumps...it's that I have lots to learn, and will ALWAYS have more to learn.

One day though, I look forward to opening a bunch of new local objects with some members from this board...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Hydro
"My Dark Side sig refers to freeflying...not BASE...maybe I'm using it wrong."
-

Excuse me for misunderstanding your dark-side as being Free-flying.
"I forget sometimes that the BASE Zone is mostly Skydivers.

Hydro
"I'm definately not in a rush. If there is one thing I have learned in my 100 or so jumps...it's that I have lots to learn, and will ALWAYS have more to learn."
-

Dude I still learn something New every time I make a skydive or a BASE Jump.
& I cant Wait to learn something new on the NEXT ONE..........;)
Sunny Cal. is not to far away from where I live, when ya start BASE jumping give me a call..

I finally made my two first static line skydives yesterday (I was the first person to jump out of the plane that day :)Appart from my exits, and landings (oh yeah, 8 second flare on landing on first jump, woeps :S) everything went well B|.
Still alive with no injuries. It was fun, I want some more :)See you up there!