Tenshi

Other

Hey

I was checking out outpatientsonline and read Gus's diary of his jumps.

He mentioned something about doing his first "Other" ( so no B, A, S or E) I was pondering about what that might be?

I was thinking a dam (but this could be considered both B and S) or a crane (maybe one would regard this as an A?)

So what else is out there? What could be regarded as "other"?

You can tie yourself up in knots trying to classify an object. At the end of the day - does it matter that much?

I tend to think of things that aren't clearly one of the 4 object types as an "Other" rather than try to force it into a category. Examples: Power tower, dam, crane, ferris wheel, roller coaster, smoke stack etc...

You could argue some similarity between a crane and an A but what if the crane is on a building? You are really stretching by calling a Dam a building or a span, but call it what you like.

C-ya

edit: Let's try to keep this discussion theoretical, and away from real objects, please. Thanks! ~TA

Oh I wasn't trying to be anal about categories. As long as you can jump it, it doesn't really matter.

I was just curious about the "other" that's all.

On a side note...for those who are interested in getting a number it might be important to some degree I guess...

I was thinking a dam (but this could be considered both B and S) or a crane (maybe one would regard this as an A?)

So what else is out there? What could be regarded as "other"?

I think a dam falls into the O category myself, but if you wanted to assign it to one of the 4, isnt it basically a man made cliff?
Have Fun, Don't Die!
Johnny Utah
My Website
email:[email protected]

How about low altitude baloon exits? I would classify that as other.

I would not classify this as a BASE jump as it is not of a fixed object. I would classify this as a low altitude Skydive with a BASE Rig...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

another gray area....

if you exit from a balloon or a chopper at a low altitude with a base rig, is it a base jump?

if yes, then at what altitude does it cease to become a base jump?

technically they aren't fixed objects, unless the balloon is tethered of course. so i call 'em skydives.

I would not classify this as a BASE jump as it is not of a fixed object. I would classify this as a low altitude Skydive with a BASE Rig...

I would agree with the statement that a baloon jump is not a BASE jump! After some discussions quite awhile back as I started jumping I came to the conclusion that just like in BASE jumping, KEEP IT SIMPLE. I use this when deciding what an object is. It is either one of the four or it is other. For me, my one dam jump...is logged as Other. For my one 1,000 foot paraglider drop....I would call it a low altitude skydive with a BASE rig as said above. It seems straight forward to me that if it isn't attached to the ground (no, tethers don't count on balloons) it cannot be a BASE/FIXED OBJECT jump. Very good training and super fun but not a BASE jump

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!
B|
SabreDave

another gray area....

if you exit from a balloon or a chopper at a low altitude with a base rig, is it a base jump?

if yes, then at what altitude does it cease to become a base jump?

technically they aren't fixed objects, unless the balloon is tethered of course. so i call 'em skydives.

I have a few tethered balloon jumps. I didn't log them as anything, not a skydive or a BASE jump. I guess I could start a new logbook for 'parachute rides' but why??

For people who really want to split straws, they could argue that someone falling off the end of a rope from a bridge and going into freefall is technically NOT a BASE JUMP because the parachutist didn't actually jump from the rope, he fell from it. And I guess it could be argued that Russel doesn't have any actual BASE JUMPS since he doesn't really jump with his legs(I still think they are BASE jumps!). Or how about handstands can they be considered a jump? I have a few of these but I still logged them as BASE jumps.

I agree with LukeH about the classification of objects... anything that doesn't easily fit into the 'normal' catagories, I put it in the "O" slot. Cable cars, dams, indoor jumps, pillars, silos, smokestacks, cranes etc.

Just my thoughts
It's just semantics anyway!
Jason

I stopped classifying my jumps according to the letters B.A.S.E. and O a couple of years ago. I mean, that is so eighties!

These days, I classify everything according to the S.H.E.E.P. system.

• S - Stupid
  • H - Has lost desire to live
  • E - Equals certain death
  • E - Even Cornishe wouldn't jump this object
  • P - Peer pressure is what killed me

Does that make me a sheep-jumper?

the sheep system? related to another farm animal system?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

the uspa and faa clasify a "skydive" as exiting an aircraft in flight with the intent of deploying a parachute.
Sig lines are so stupid.

so a low jump from a balloon is a skydive, no matter the height or type of rig.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

A Mr Bill as well... (A Canopy is an aircraft according to NPS :P)

--
Renaud SMA #9
"Mind is like parachute. It only functions when it's open."

I still stick to what Carl Boenish said . . .

If the wind blows around it, it's a Building.
If the wind blows through it, it's an Antenna.
If the wind blows under it, it's a Span.
If the wind blows over it, it's Earth.

NickD :)BASE 194

I would tend to agree with the "fixed-object" requirement.