leroydb

Currently jumping BASE Jumpers

How many jumpers with a BASE number are still jumping?

This brings up another question, How many people jump enough to get a BASE number, then quit (for whatever reason, but mainly due to just wanting the number?

Any generalized S.W.A.G. (scientific wild ass guess)
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Well, I know for a fact that it's at least one. :P

smiles
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I have a number and I'm currently not jumping for reasons I'm pretty timid to share but here goes. My deepest secrets.

1) Because I'm typing this post.
2) the sun is out
3) It's way too windy
4) Matthew (my room mate) is doing us up with a killer barbeque
5) As soon as I post this, my new (to me) truck gets a coat of wax.

My rig is packed though, and given the next oppurtunity, it's being opened the fun way.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Raises hand...

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

4) Matthew (my room mate) is doing us up

mate get a out of there FAST!!!:D:ph34r:(couldnt figure how to make a line over the rest of the tekst sof the line so i just deletede it)

Do i need to jump to do somthing certain to keep my BASE "licens":ph34r: Think i fail then i havnt jumped a B more than once(hopes some one in the states reads this;)hint hint;))
But i jump off fixed objects on a basis that sometimes anoy my gf,if thats enough then yes i have a # and i jump:)
(i know fore sure 7 more that does the same)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Ok for you Faber, I will change that line.

My roommate is named Matthew. He's preparing a meal that is highly pleasing or agreeable to the senses for all of us to indulge upon.

Try and twist that one ;)

PS. It's still windy.

He's preparing a meal that is highly pleasing

aaarrggghhh and you made it even worse:P you DONT WANT TO EAT THAT!!! :ph34r::D

its windy here aswell,oh well im going:Pafter all on a Tower the wind is your freind(aslong it dont brake the A or blow you off the thing:ph34r::D)

PS

Try and twist that one

im not gonna twist anything on you mate,im NOT that kind of GUY:P:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

It was barbeque chicken and potatoes jackass!!!:D:D

You win:P

Made a jump Friday night and one this morning.:)
BASE 772
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

Raises hand...

oooh, oooh, oooh, me too, me too...!:)
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."

Here's my Wild A$$ Guess . . .

Looking at an "un-official" BASE number list there are probably around a dozen of the first 200 BASE awardees still BASE jumping. And if they are anything like me they are holding on to the sport by their fingertips. The reasons are varied, but the idea, "that people are just going for a number" doesn't ring true to me.

A few may have done it, but in general a BASE number (especially in the old days) was too hard to achieve for it to be done on a lark. Really, how many BASE jumpers have you met, then or even now, with a BASE number and just four BASE jumps?

BASE numbers 1 thru 200 are issued between 1981 and 1988. People who began BASE jumping back then tended to already be fairly experienced jumpers with substantial time on the drop zone. The majority of those people are now in their fifties and sixties and hucking into old age isn't easy . . .

I didn't meet my first teenage BASE jumper until 1989 or 90.

In the 200 to 300 BASE numbers bracket the level of active BASE jumpers goes way up, and so do the rest of the numbers, and each by a greater magnitude.

In the 80s we used to talk about the coming explosion in BASE popularity and what it would look like. We all thought the explosion was always right around the corner and not, as it turned out, 10 to 15 years away. BASE numbers are a good indicator of general BASE activity and it's not until the year 2000, as the numbers passed 550, the real explosion came.

What made the explosion possible in the first place? Some say the gear got better, others that our knowledge and skill improved, but I think the most important difference in BASE then and now is the number of accessible sites. It's now possible to be current on a level impossible before the mid-nineties.

To a lesser extent it was the gear too. I remember my first 70 BASE jumps as experiments as on every jump I was trying something new to me. The line-mod, the tail-pocket, different types of toggles, canopies and rigs all came along faster than I could jump. Gear has somewhat stabilized since then and one can do hundreds of BASE jumps with the same configuration. That's a point of comfort I've never experienced. At least not yet . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

This raises another question.

What was is like back in the day, having free roam of most obejcts... must have been like the wild west....
Leroy

are we going to live forever?

.... i will jump forever, that i know.

BASE # 987

-SPACE-

Just a thought/question..

Are there any BASE jumpers out there, who have a lot of jumps, but just never bothered to get a BASE number (for whatever reason)?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I know 1 guy personally that won't get a BASE number. I am sure that there are MANY like that...
Leroy

there are plenty of aussies who dont care about the base numbers...me being one. i couldnt be bothered sending off for a number on a bit of paper. i dont need it to remind me i've jumped the 4 objects and am the "n"th person to do so. to me it doesnt mean a thing really. all that matters are the jumps themselves.

...all that matters are the jumps themselves.

At this point, I find the people I am jumping with at least as important as the jumps themselves. I believe the BASE numbers are a way to stay connected to the history and community of the sport. When I had a couple hundred jumps, I couldn't be bothered to care about that. Now? I think all those other folks out there doing this thing have turned out to be one of the things that gives it meaning.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I think one of the big issues about getting a BASE # is that its American,not that its wrong,but so far i didnt jump in the states i got the 4 objects but never went to the states yet..
I think more people would care more if it were World BASE,that way it dont only link to 1 nation.. i know serval people who dont suscribe for this reasson...

But its kind of too late to change that now right:P

funny thing is that i miss:
to get a DK BASE(if there were)
a cliff and a Building(will happen at some point)
to get UK BASE
Span(will happen at some point)
to get USA BASE
All 4 objects,but its the only place ive got a # so far:P(i hope this might happen this summer:P)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I don't believe that Carl meant for the numbers to be "USA only" when he started them. There were plenty of early BASE number holders outside the US, and they've always been a pretty international bunch.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

in which i agree and which is why i got my # anyway;) but some people dont look at it like that...

Just a point i know is out there in which im not holy agree whith...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

>>i couldnt be bothered sending off for a number on a bit of paper. <<

Sure, I know BASE history can sound grating on modern ears. But in a way you have a responsibility to listen to it. Your current ability to BASE jump certainly has something to do with the brothers that came before you.

BTW, out of the first 30 BASE numbers issued, ten went to Great Britain. Over the course of the next hundred numbers France and Canada are well represented . . .

NickD :)BASE 194