cesslon

Aerial maneuvers in BASE

Hi all,

was just re-reading an article
http://www.basejump.org/discus/articles/golong.html
the bottom part stating
----------------------------------------------
"If you really want to do aerial maneuvers from below 1500’ then an absolute minimum prerequisite would be 200 freefall B.A.S.E. jumps with at least six months of solid platform diving or gymnastics training (with an accredited coach). It’s no good pulling off 10 perfect gainers in a row if your failure rate is 1 in 20.
Dive training and gymnastics will help teach you the consistency needed to survive aerial maneuvers in B.A.S.E..
------------------------------------

what is actually the norm in base these days ?
I see some pretty dodgy flips (having never done a flip with a rig on my self), do most people actually do at least 200 BASE jumps first and do diving training with a coach ?
its kinda obvious some jumpers have been coached.

But I was wondering with more and more aerial base videos being made, are people starting to do say a simple front or back flip earlier then they should?
or is every1 playing it safe and doing similar to the above article ?

also another question.
when training in a pool, do jumpers ever wear a rig ? obviously it would want to be a old 1 and maybe just stuffed with pillows or something, or is there not much difference doing it with a rig as to without ?

thanx for helping my curiosity.

:)

It is obvious that some jumpers do take training (people like Jeb, Dwain, Slim did learn most in diving and gymnastic classes) but I think that more and more people are starting to do aerial manouvers without proper training.

I'm not into Base yet, but I'm already training a bit. I do a lot of diving (without trainer) and I take also classes in trampoline. Even if you don't want to do aerials I think classes can help, since you learn to control your body in dead air. If you launch unintentionally unstable, you might have an advantage over people without training (you can more quick get back in a good position)

About the rig: I have thoughed about that to, since I think a rig on your back will limit your maneuvarability (can't tell, never had any type of rig on my back). I do think the people at the pool will kinda look wierd at you if you show up with a rig on your back;)

However I disagree with that 1500 ft limit. I think that if you want to do aerials in dead air you should take prior classes, from whatever altitude you jump. I thought that the last fatality was aerial related and happend at a terminal wall?

I'm not into jumping yet, so correct me if I'm telling something wrong

edit to add: you migth also want to read the article Aerials in base by Dwain http://www.blincmagazine.com/cms/uploads/aerials_in_base.pdf
(sorry for typos, but I injured my fingers wednesday so typing is a bit difficult.)

Thijs

Yes, people do aerials much earlier in their career these days. Its a simple fact that when people see a lot of something like aerials, they want to do them and believe that they can. Aerials (basic ones) are not hard to do, so visualizing them and having the confidence to try them is hald of the game. Five years ago veryfew people did areials at all, and a few did basic flips. Now by the time a jumper has 20 jumps there is a good chance they can do a gainer. Its the evolution of the sport. SOme will pay a price for starting early ( I have a friend who broke 2 vertabrae on a failed attempt at a slider down front flip), but most will do fine. YMMV

cool I see
so there is no kinda rule the more experienced try and tell the less experienced ?

also what does YMMV mean ?

I really think that training in a safe environment (pool, trampoline, etc) is the way to go. When it's possible to practice in relative safety, why try it for the first time in a high risk way?

also what does YMMV mean ?

Your Mileage May Vary.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

do you do aerials tom ? (im guessing so)

I don't think I've seen you jump is there any footage of you on skydivingmovies or anywhere ?

I think the rule is that people try things at thier own pace. These days, for better or worse, new base jumpers starting doing flips very early (under 20 jumps). This is not everyone, but it is more and more common.

The big difference between basic front andd back flips, and aerials, is adding the second axis of rotation. A gainer is very easy to execute and pitch stable from. It is a whole different level to do a back diving 1 1/2 into a front loop 1/2 back and pitch, all in under 4 seconds, and then pitch stable.

So while doing flips has become very common, even with low jump numbers, areials are still pretty rare, as they should be.

the latest addition to nick's list was trying some flips, having about 20 jumps under his belt. he chose a relatively safe wall to try this....

one try do or die

I only watched the first 1 from above.
I find it hard to believe that thats really tom.

If you are talking about weird_jump.mov then that's not Tom. The person is anonther jumper who is also here on the forum.

Thijs

Which one? In the first one (weird jump) the jumpers are DexterBASE, KMonster, and myself.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

My wife was an olympic caliber gymnast (alternate) and I show her plenty of aerial videos. She has stated time and time again that many people could learn much by getting trampoline or direct gymnast coaching... Just fyi.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

My wife was an olympic caliber gymnast (alternate) and I show her plenty of aerial videos. She has stated time and time again that many people could learn much by getting trampoline or direct gymnast coaching... Just fyi.

I'll second that. I've taken tramp training at a local gymnasium and he learned a TON about how the body moves in the subterminal environment. It will also considerably heighten your awareness in pretty much every orientation.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Its one of the reasons I never got into base - I knew I'd be extremely drawn to aerials and man, I just flat out suck on the tramp. :D

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

the first video is some vid called "loser luke" and about some loser named luke, his the only d00d in it.

>>She has stated time and time again that many people could learn much by getting trampoline or direct gymnast coaching... Just fyi.<<

Most BASE jumpers learned the usefulness of trampolines from Dwayne Weston before he died, but it's worth knowing the first trampoline I ever saw at a BASE jumper's house was in Carl Boenish's backyard in the 1980s.

To be fair he wasn't using it to practice aerials, he used it to practice stable launches from the roof of his garage . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Hi Nick,

was re-reading through the forum history a few months back, is some really good reading there if anyone is ever bored, some great storys and stuff.
anyway I remember you saying just after dwaynes death, somthing along the lines of "I never knew what my trampoline was capable of till he jumped on it"
I think it was your tramp.
what kind of stuff was he doing on it ?
and what kind of stuff do you do on it ?

:)

I do think the people at the pool will kinda look wierd at you if you show up with a rig on your back

Taking your rig into a gym/pool situation where they have one of those foam pools (pools filled with foam squares) would be pretty much invaluable - they'd take you pretty seriously when they saw how serously you're taking their discipline of choice. The foam pool allows you to take pretty much any exit whilst wearing your rig allowing true experience of the types of inertial loads experienced when doing aerials with your rig on.

Fast Al has allowed many new Aussie BASErs to do their first aerials from his tethered hot air balloon on a number of balloon meets he has held. It's getting a bit clapped out now but it has been an invaluable catalyst none-the-less.

g.
"Altitude is birthright to any individual who seeks it"

Taking your rig into a gym/pool situation where they have one of those foam pools (pools filled with foam squares) would be pretty much invaluable - they'd take you pretty seriously when they saw how serously you're taking their discipline of choice. The foam pool allows you to take pretty much any exit whilst wearing your rig allowing true experience of the types of inertial loads experienced when doing aerials with your rig on.

That is nice, although I never heard of anything called a foam pool. :)What altitude can you jump of, using a foam pool?
It sounds really nice, since falling on foam seems less painfull then falling on water.

Balloonjumps (and any jump where you start in dead air) are good for the last step to aerials in base I think.

Thijs

Spellcheck!

Dwain

hahahaha, thats nicks fault, I was certain it was Dwain, I wrote my message then looked at nicks and thought "oh wait its dwayne, I've been spelling it wrong all along, Nick would know for sure how its spelt"
so edited my message before posting.

so lets just blame my spello on Nicks Braino :$

speaking of the hot air baloon, how high do they jump from off that usually ?
I've got the 2002ABA video where they jump from it and its tied to the ground and was curious as to how high it was.

as for a foam pool, its just big foam blocks, they would want to be pretty darn soft if your to land on your head, as to not break ya neck.
Super bubbly water would be best. or just wear a shitload of clothes off the high diver
I lived right near a pool with dive board when I was young, I seen some kids do some front flips, so I started doing them , was doing them all the time, then 1 day I stuffed up and landed on me back, was a big SLAP!!!, the whole place heard it, hurt a little.
then after that I could never do a flip lol. :S

I tried but I just couldn't, I'd jump and start to flip forward then at the last minute pull out of it :(

was 1 of those things where ya brain says "I dont think so , remember last time."

although now that im 22 I'd give it a crack, but problem is the pool is now a park >:(