NickDG

Let's lose, "Old Timers"

Let's lose, "Old Timers"

One day some years ago, after a lifetime on the drop zone of instructing and helping along the next generation, like the jumpers before me did (except I got paid better) a young jumper called me a belly flyer. At first I thought, "You punk, you shouldn't label people like that," but then I realized by calling him a punk I would be doing the same thing. So I (and the rest of my generation) did nothing and the name stuck. And I hate it.

In BASE jumping it's become fashionable to call anyone who jumped before the line-over mod is invented an "old timer."

I went along with that too as it seemed to be used with some respect and maybe a little endearment. I even use the phrase myself now and again. But, really to me, the mention of an "old timer" brings on visions of grizzled and bent over prospectors still out there looking for the mother load.

I couldn't do anything about "belly flyer," but maybe I can do something about "old timer."

We are a witty group; most of us anyway, so let's come up with something better. After all if you are young now, and you survive a lifetime of BASE jumping, you will be stuck with the name too.

I'm not sure what it should be, but here are a few suggestions:

"Long Timer" (Not really, I just like the sexual overtones there).

"Old Schooler" (It still says old, and "schooler" is not really a word, but it's still better than the other).

"Lifer" (I like this one, as it applies to anyone who BASE jumps over an entire lifetime).

"Three Digit" (This is good and would last a long time while meaning anyone jumping before the BASE numbers broke a thousand).

So help me, and eventually yourself, out here, and let's come up with something good. And please nothing with the word "fart" in it . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Hi Nick,

Luc your work, mate. Lets see, How about "Classic", Early Model, Vintage, or Pre-Basetoric?

I look forward to making it to Old Timer, or whatever they end up calling me. It means I'm still alive and still jumping, and if I've got that going for me it will all work out fine. ;)

Cya!

I prefer to be called by my nickname: Pleasure Machine.

Yes, it has little to do with BASE jumping.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in BMX "Old school" is used to describe the older genration and what they did and how they did it. A Base Jumper is a Base Jumper no matter what age. If you want to describe the way things used to be done including ideas, thoughts etc. The "Old School" Base jumper would be a good desciption and one that any old timer would also be proud of.

How about just "pioneers"? That pretty much says it all. Or having read Groundrush and BASE 66, how about "hardcore crazy bastards"! ;) Shortened to HCB.

"Three Digit" (This is good and would last a long time while meaning anyone jumping before the BASE numbers broke a thousand).

Or indeed "triple digit midget". Can't take credit for that one but I like it.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I don't think the "Old timer" term will ever go away.

This is very similar to the recent change from "BASE jumping" to "backcountry parachuting" in terms of jumping within National Parks. Similar meanings, but no matter how many times you say "backcountry parachuting", the original "BASE jumping" name will always prevail.

While I don't disagree than anyone jumping before the line mod came about should be considered an old timer. However, perhaps the # of years in the sport (assuming regular jumps are made) would be a better gauge?

PS. Nick is an old timer!!;)
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Being on the verge of 40 myself :o[:/]B|, but having only been in the sport for about 2-1/2 years, I really don't tend to look at jumpers in terms of their age. Rather, I tend to look at mindset and the "generation" that they come from.

Usually the term I throw around is "old school" & "new school". Simplistic, yes, but it gets the general idea across. Labels inherently pigeon-hole people so I view them as merely a way to convey an idea.

I usually describe myself as "old school" in my attitude toward the sport and community... since I was trained by someone I consider somewhat old school in his thinking as well... 460. But I also tend to like "new school" jumping styles, such as aerials and wingsuit BASE.

My personal philosophy is to know and appreciate where the sport has been, but also try to be at least a little part of, and a positive influence upon, where the sport is going.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

NO way, old times it is:P
why?
Your OLD in the sport,you´ve been arround for long TIME.You know the drill.

Old Scooler sounds like a old guy still jumping phanthonm reserves inside a Jaguar..

pioneers?Hmm not really,why? becourse not evryone push the limits even more.(inkluding me),that will misscreidt thouse who really push on...

Lifer? naah.. yeach year i survive 1 year and my lifetime gets bigger,mylife time ends the day i die.. it wont be a time whith in i jump...

"Three Digit",NO WAY!!! that would make me one of the old guys rember im only 28:P,besides i dont think your BASE# can tell much about your life/experience in BASE...

I think old timers is the best word...why? your all a bunch of old FARTs:P:ph34r:

why even change it? your feeling old Nick?he he....

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I like "lifer".

"Three digit" is ok, but do we call some other folks "two digit" and the hallowed "single digit"?

I'll try to stop using "old timers" though.

While we're on the subject, my personal pet peeve term is "whuffo". I freakin' can't stand labelling all non-jumpers as "whuffos". Not that we're going to see that one leave the lexicon, ever.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

"Old School" - respectful in a hip-hop sorta way
"Grandfathers" sounds Lakota or something
"Titans" (they came before the gods)

I freakin' can't stand labelling all non-jumpers as "whuffos".

Agreed -- Sounds a bit derisive, doesn't it? How bout just "non-jumper" -- or "ground crew" works in some contexts

How about just plain brother or sister (if your sex is easily decided upon hheheh)...

That's the way I look at all skydivers and basers - I consider them all equals i.e. bros or sistuhz. I could care less if you "only" freefly or whatever - we all jump or flik and that bounds us all together imho...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Hey they be "OB" yo....

OB = Original BASE-tah....

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Crusties:

Like "crusty" old people in retirement homes

Crusties conjours up the image of wrinkled and weather beaten faces. Similarly, misshapen legs and pelvises from trauma and poor orthopaedic work lends itself to the wobbling gait of the earlier baser's.

With respect (and I don't think anyones ever jumped that bridge again....)

How about 'the ancients?'
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

At least Old Timer isn't as bad as Turtle-neck! I heard that one last year and it really struck a nerve. Yeah, go ahead and look in the mirror.

Having made my first ones in 82 I don't mind being an old timer but I would more consider myself a survivor. Gawd! we knew so little and hung it out anyway... Bravado, nylon and guesswork.

jon

How about "Lucky"?
He who hesitates shall inherit the earth.

Deadwood
Skydive New Mexico Motorcycle Club, Touring Division

OHGers - Over the Hill Gang . The OHG mafia literally runs the US ski resorts:ph34r:

Hey, that was all just a bit of a giggle before I went to work this morning :)
I don't mind, "old timers," and thanks Tom, I will forever refer to him as, "single digit."

My personal BASE jump numbers aren't in the same league as many of you that are half my age, so, "Lucky," is out.

I can hang with, "wuffo," it's better than, "leg," or, "rube," but I never liked, and never use, "newbie."

"Elders," is out unless it makes, "newbie's," listen to sage advice, "old timers," have to share.

"the OHG Mafia," is out because I'm Italian, and for the last time there's no such thing as the Mafia . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Hmmm... what comes to mind...?

Fossil.... obsolete....relic....antique....moth eaten....

or...

Premier. NickDG is one of the premier BASE jumpers.

Hey Nick, How about "Gods". ;)
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

Hey Nick, How about "Gods". ;)

i would have to disagree on this,im an atheist and Nick beeing a good would let me be an atheist anymore:P:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber