DaveO

Shooting BASE Video

Has anyone found a camcorder (Mini DV) that won't go out of focus so bad during the openings for the slider off jumps? We have been using the SONY PC100 and PC105 with the floating lens.
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

My Sony DCR-HC40 has been all good~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Has anyone found a camcorder (Mini DV) that won't go out of focus so bad during the openings for the slider off jumps? We have been using the SONY PC100 and PC105 with the floating lens.

Those two cameras (particularly the 100) are notorius for doing that. You should be safe with just about any new Sony camera.

sony DCR-HC30

Small / Light weight / great Sony inboard stabilization / reasonable price

Spence just got one. Does the job for BASE video.
I am shopping around for one right now.

I paid $534.97 out the door for my new HC-40 (double the resolution of the 30 I believe) from an internet store. came with a gear bag,tripod...blah ...bla...bla
DSN digital shopping network 1(877)393-6205
look for them on EBAY,good shit and the best prices I could find.
Word!
~J

new HC-40 (double the resolution of the 30 I believe) from an internet store.

Sweeeeeeeeet...I will look into it.

The PC 110 won't do that, and I've got one I'd trade you for that 100......:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It does not matter what new miniDV camera you get. with 3,5,or 10 mega pixel. as long as it is standard minidv it will only produce about 720x 480.. or about .4 of those 3 mega pixels or about 500 - 530 lines of resolution.. the rest of the extra pixels are used for video intrapolation ( to long to explain) and the "STEADY SHOT" video stabilization.
so out of the cameras you get you should be looking for best white balance,color tone, and low light level operation.

THe Sony dvr-hc40 is an overpriced version of the HC30. some extra features that you wont use..

right now the CHEAP sony caneras at the top of my list are.
SOny HC-30 $399(us) Ebay
or new from this site $369 http://www.amphotoworld.com/subcategory.asp?scatid=2&catid=2&om=&manuf=Sony&sort=3&filter.x=15&filter.y=11
sony pc -109 $
new here 609$ http://www.amphotoworld.com/subcategory.asp?catid=2&scatid=2&page=2&manuf=Sony&sort=3&om=Sony&rpp=10
sony pc-350 $ 8
New here 879 http://www.amphotoworld.com/subcategory.asp?catid=2&scatid=2&page=3&manuf=Sony&sort=3&om=Sony&rpp=10
SOny PC330 $ http://www.amphotoworld.com/subcategory.asp?catid=2&scatid=2&page=3&manuf=Sony&sort=3&om=Sony&rpp=10
the pc330 has been discontinued.. but uses a nice auto focus using HALOGRAM..

In my opinion thease are the best 4 cameras(by sony)..
beware that the pc109 and the pc350 need the DOCKING station to use the FIRE WIRE...
the rest of them have the connections built onto the camera.

As I am sure others are good also but these are the ones I am looking to buy at this time..

also if you find better pricing let us know
CHICKEN MAN
BASE 954

Those two cameras (particularly the 100) are notorius for doing that. You should be safe with just about any new Sony camera.

And, any OLD Sony camera, like PC7 and PC10 is safe too. ;)

Ronald Overdijk
www.liveskyproductions.nl

I used the pc 9 for a year, after the pc 101 and now I´m using the PC 109.....

My first two had the same problem, in skydiving jumps, depending on how hard was the opening, but I have friends here in Brazil using the same models.....and some of them have the same problem, others not..

It should be lucky on buy....because this happens to anybody, independent of the camera´s model.:S
I had a friend with an old JVC with the same problem.

It is caused by the movement of the step motor inside the optical package during opening.....engineering stuff......

If someone want best explanation, please write me e-mail.;)

Good jumps,

Cya
Andre.

OK...some more reasons I like my HC-40....
I'ts lighter and smaller than the PC series.
The LCD screen works great in direct sunlite.
The touch screen is pretty cool.
The night shot seems to come out better than the PC's Ive seen,(crisper and the IR doesn't look like someone is pointing a penlight at your face on the video)
also...
It is Low in carbs,gets out those deep,set in stains,dolphin safe,non etching,hypoalergenic,freerange,organic,low sodium....:P
~J
edited so that it would say ~edited~ at the bottom.

The PC 110 won't do that, and I've got one I'd trade you for that 100......:P

Sorry, the 100 took a dunk in a well known fjord awhile back. :(
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

The touch screen is pretty cool.

How is it with very cold hands? Or hot and sweaty ones? I've long been a fan of real buttons because it seems like when my hands are cold the touch screens don't work properly (or maybe I just can't tell where I'm touching [:/]).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

setting my 105 on manual focus does that it dont do it.. Only when its on auto focus it were do so...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I was trying to order HC-30 but the program would not accept my phone number. Dose anyone know how to type it if you don´t live in the States?

I did not understand it like that I replied to you becouse i was thankful for your info. I also needed more info so i asked for little help:)

thanks agin!

OK...some more reasons I like my HC-40....
I'ts lighter and smaller than the PC series.

HC 40 - 400 gm
PC 109 - 385 gm

I use the 109 and it not only has the same features as the HC40, but it also promotes world peace:D

I really like pc-9's . I have used 2 of mine for years without any problems. I found an almost brand new one on ebay for 399 with shipping. I have been told that newer "inexpensive" line of Sony cameras come with lenses that are not Carl Zeis(s.p.) lenses. They are made by Sony under license from Zeis. The total quality of theses 250.00-600.00$ consumer grade cameras is much less than there more expensive models. They are 90% plastic and will not hold up for long in a parachuting enviroment in general. My suggestion if you are going to buy a cheaper camera is to buy it from either Sams or Costco, and to hang on to all packaging and receipts as they have a 5 year no question return policy ;) !!
When you start adding super quality(300.00$ +) wide angle lenses to your camera, you will see the difference in the quality between a "Real" zeis lens, and a cheap one.
Just my .02 $$$$
Jay Epstein Ramirez
www.adrenalineexploits.com

Bennii

actually I meant to relpy to you then typed something totally different. didnt want others to think I supported it.

Not sure about the phone number thing
have any friends in the states? use thier number.. or paypal them and have them purchase it for you. ship it to ya.
none have export restrictions that I know of..
CHICKEN MAN
BASE 954

I agree totally with you Jay.
the PC-9 is my camera of choice. unfortunatelly a bath at bridge day took it out of service. I can use it as a VCR but no Camera video.
that is why I am looking into a new one.
my next choice is the PC330 or PC350.. both of them use REAL Carl Zeis lenses.

anyone have a sony PC-9 for sale?working or broken ill buy for parts..
[email protected]
CHICKEN MAN
BASE 954

Some US retailers won't ship overseas, because of customs problems. As Tymkoder suggested, you might want to have someone in the US transship to you.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Some US retailers won't ship overseas, because of customs problems.

huh we are almost nice people all of us:) and wont sue a compagny if the camcorder dont work after beeing fryed in a micro:ph34r::D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

FYI- I recently bought a Sony HC series Camcorder, and I'm not happy with the image quality. What can I expect for that price!

* The lens is too small and doesnt gather much light, so the image exposure isnt as good.

* I dont think the Stabilizer works as well either. I really have to concentrate on limiting movement while using the HC.

So the Sony HC has become a playback deck only...
If you want the highest quality images, keep looking.

Can anyone ID the jumper in the attached photo?

Cya,
Josh Morell
www.imagethisphoto.com