gus

Freepacking in to a skydiving container

We have a helicopter coming to the dz next week and I thought it would be fun to put my Troll in to a skydiving container and do some wingsuit jumps. If I freepack the canopy in there, is there anything I need to be careful of? Or is it just a case of making 1 more fold in the canopy to get it in?

Thanks,

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

D'oh, I did do a search, promise! I even posted in that thread :S.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

dont forget the slider:P

besides what has the heli and your BASEcanopy together since you want to use it fr0om there?
I mean if your doing low stuff why not just use the BASE harness aswell?(thinikng if your allowed to pul low anyway..)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

dont forget the slider :P

Do you even know what a slider is? :o Hehehe, thanks for the tip dude.

Mainly it's so I can fly the wingsuit lower than I would dare with my xf2. If I'm going to pay £35 for 5k I'm sure as hell going to eek out as much freefall as possible!

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

i soon have 2 sliders i dont know how to use:ph34r::D

how low is low? i mean if your breaking the rules anyway,why then risk a poor packjob in a skydive container vs. a BASE harness???I mean if you dont have time to pull reserve anyway..hmm perhaps just me... i know what i would have done:P:D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

i mean if your breaking the rules anyway,why then risk a poor packjob in a skydive container vs. a BASE harness???

Well, if you get on an aircraft with a non-TSO'd harness with no reserve (i.e. any BASE rig), that's a violation of FAA regs and the pilot can get his license revoked.

If you go on with a BASE canopy freepacked into a skydiving rig and then pull low, I don't believe there's an FAA violation, you're just breaking the BSRs, which aren't "laws" per se. :)

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Gus isn't governed by our FARs. I'm not sure what the rules are over there, but each jumper ought to check specific rules in their own localities.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Don't get too excited, I'm not planning on smoking it down super low - but jumping the Troll should give me an extra 1k of freefall, ie 2k rather than 3k.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Gus isn't governed by our FARs. I'm not sure what the rules are over there, but each jumper ought to check specific rules in their own localities.

The BPA ops manual defines the minimum opening height for "Intermediate and Experienced Parachutists" as 2000 ft. Not sure whether that means initiating the deployment at 2k or having an open canopy at 2k.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

The BPA ops manual defines the minimum opening height for "Intermediate and Experienced Parachutists" as 2000 ft. Not sure whether that means initiating the deployment at 2k or having an open canopy at 2k.

guees same rules as in DK,which means you should have a canopy in 2k,however noone will see if you pulled in 2k or higher..:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Well, if you get on off an aircraft with a non-TSO'd harness with no reserve (i.e. any BASE rig), that's a violation of FAA regs and the pilot can get his license revoked.

Minor correction.:D:ph34r:

And of course that only applies if you're under FAA jurisdiction.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I use the same method for folding a canopy with a tail pocket into a skydiving container for both CRW jumps and practice jumps with my BASE canopies. After you have the lines in the tail pocket grab the canopy by the tail pocket holding on to the lines where they come out of the tail pocket. This is so that the lines will not be pulled out of the tail pocket when you move the canopy. Place your other hand under the canopy towards the top to hold the packjob together while you place the canopy behind the container with the tail pocket face down in the main pack tray. The nose of the canopy will be facing up at this point. Now stow the risers and dress the nose of the canopy as you'd like. Dress the canopy to the width of the container. Fold the top of the canopy over so that it is in the main pack tray (i.e. fold the canopy in half). Now fold the canopy in half again so that it fits into the container.

Thanks Craig!

The way I was imagining doing it I'd have the tail pocket facing up in the container (as in my BASE container), do you think that makes any difference?

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Gus

I read Zennie's post to refer to taking a BASE rig out of an aircraft as the potential problem here. I would be surprised if the UK would differ from the US and permit intentional parachute jumps from aircraft using BASE rigs.

8- Use a couple of raps of rubber band to tie slidder up to inboard C-line.

Does anybody use a tailgate, or the tailgate's elastic, to hold the slider up?
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Well, if you get on off an aircraft with a non-TSO'd harness with no reserve (i.e. any BASE rig), that's a violation of FAA regs and the pilot can get his license revoked.

Minor correction.:D:ph34r:

And of course that only applies if you're under FAA jurisdiction.

Another minor correction :)

(a) No pilot of a civil aircraft may allow a parachute that is available for emergency use to be carried in that aircraft unless it is an approved type and—

(1) If a chair type (canopy in back), it has been packed by a certificated and appropriately rated parachute rigger within the preceding 120 days; or

(2) If any other type, it has been packed by a certificated and appropriately rated parachute rigger—

(i) Within the preceding 120 days, if its canopy, shrouds, and harness are composed exclusively of nylon, rayon, or other similar synthetic fiber or materials that are substantially resistant to damage from mold, mildew, or other fungi and other rotting agents propagated in a moist environment; or

(ii) Within the preceding 60 days, if any part of the parachute is composed of silk, pongee, or other natural fiber, or materials not specified in paragraph (a)(2)(i) of this section

--
Hook high, flare on time

I've packed using both methods, but I find the way I described to be easier to control the canopy while putting it into the container. Either way will work, it just depends on which one works best for you.

The ops manual refers to having a stable, open canopy at 2k.

There may of course be exceptions to this; having to cut-away, "losing altitude awareness"... :P
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

I would be surprised if the UK would differ from the US and permit intentional parachute jumps from aircraft using BASE rigs.

You're right - you can't in the UK, if only because it is compulsory to use a reserve that is current (the packing cycle of the country where it was packed being respected). If not, it's the pilot that gets into trouble with the CAA (who is technically responsible for the drop) and not the jumper.

But there's nowt wrong in putting a large F-111 7 cell into a skydiving rig! :D:P
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

how about clipping a round reserve to the front of your BASE container?!

Anyone done this in the UK?

From Section 6 (Equipment) Para 1 (Parachutes - General) of the BPA Operations Manual

1.1. All sport parachutists intending to make a descent are to be equipped with a minimum of two airworthy parachutes attached to a common harness...

1.2. Parachutes may only be used if they are manufactured for Sport Parachutists or Military Parachutists, by recognised parachute equipment manufacturers or riggers with the necessary qualifications.

So I guess it comes down to whether the manufacturers are recognised or not?

I like the idea though, putting a belly wart on the front of Gus might be the only way I can keep up with him on his new S3!
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

....with a minimum of two airworthy parachutes attached to a common harness...

Suppose this bit might cause an issue too.... unless you modified your harness I guess.
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

unless you modified your harness I guess.

Eh? Well it would have to be modified with "tertiary" rings, to attach the belly mount to.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Hey check out the Gargoyle page on the Morpheus site.

http://www.baserigs.com/gargoyle.html

Is that a belly reserve on the front of the jumper in the "high speed" picture? Could you take something like that?

I think when Jesus said "love your enemy" he probably meant don't kill them.