base283

Red Bull boycott

Hey JB,
I talked to Moe at the DZ yesterday, he was quite
bemused that he's the subject of internet gossip
and intrigue, but he's still not going to buy a computer.

cya
michael

His poach didn´t open the site. space wrote:
>>Petronas is open. who was the first to jump it and therefore deem it<< >>possible for competitions to the officials.<<

My bad wording. I was surmising (maybe incorrectly) that he had introduced the fact that Petronas was jumpable to the management.
You´re definitely in the know about it. How did it go? Surmising sux.
Take care
space

>>I am totally agreement with you that what we love, he pimps. Do you do Tandems, AFF? The romance is going away. It is becoming mainstream. <<

Oh, what baloney . . .

BASE jumping will never be mainstream, and let’s be thankful for that. And helping people into the skies, as a instructor or a BASE gear manufacturer, is nothing like what Felix does.

Face it, bro. You hooked up your parachute to the wrong harness . . .

Ten years ago I wrote, “The Jolly Roger is coming down the flagpole.” But, I was wrong. Underground BASE is as active as it’s ever been (if not more so) and our dependence on legal sites is hurting more than helping. Make a deal with the Man and you are going to end up getting screwed.

The essence of BASE jumping has always, and will always be this. You’re sitting at home on Wednesday night and you decide to go and make a jump. And, then without anyone’s permission, or support, you do.

Our new found dependence on legal sites (and keeping them legal) is stifling to the BASE community at large. (In a way, it’s almost anti-BASE.) And it’s dividing the BASE community.

And you know, Space, I’ve never done anything but promote BASE from within. You have lost that position now.

Enjoy the ride.

Nick :)BASE 194

Our new found dependence on legal sites (and keeping them legal) is stifling to the BASE community at large. (In a way, it’s almost anti-BASE.) And it’s dividing the BASE community.

I understand where you're coming from, and I say this with all due respect, but I don't totally agree with this.

Legal sites have their place. I'd say about 70% of my jumps would fall in the "bandit" category and that isn't going to change.

But having good legal sites is also good for the sport IMHO. When I go out West, I don't have to worry about getting busted. I don't have to jump at night. I can relax, chill out with friends and focus on just the jumps. Plus I can try some things that wouldn't be too bright trying for the first time off an A.

Plus there are many people who risk losing their jobs (from security clearances & such) if they get busted at an illegal site. Having some good legal sites for them to jump is a good thing.

I still believe BASE is as much about community as it is about jumps. When you go to Twin Falls on Memorial Day, or NRGB on Bridge Day, the community spirit is very alive.

I'll never stop bandit jumping... like you said, the Jolly Roger aspect is also an important part of our sport. And, well, there's nothing legal to jump around here anyway. ;)

And I will say this... I'm every bit as protective of our illegal sites as I am over the legal ones. A prime site is a prime site.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

...our dependence on legal sites is hurting more than helping.

I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on this.

I tend to think that legal sites have allowed us a great training ground for the latest generations of BASE jumpers to learn without taking the (often massive) risks that the pioneers (like you) had to.

Perhaps that's just mainstreaming the sport too much, though. Hmmmm.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Yes, no, your sumisery is mistaken.
The management does not honor his illegal jump.
The site was opened to legal jumps by others.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

i think your wrong... I think its nice that people has made BASE world a safer place around the world.I think its great that some students dont need to jump off at night off the local A,but can chouse a legal S or E(even as i dont agree that an E is the best) in daylight whith no pressure and thinking if the police should show up.

I has to say i never jumped theese places myself,and im not in a hurry as i see a few of them as DZ´s i like it banditalike but that is me.

I dont think it ruins the sport i think its a new time comming to BASE making it grow(on good and bads),it makes it more acsepted by public.

find the line between you and Space and you perhaps you can see the road were most of us will walk..As i talked to Space i said,its a knifeedgde to walk,and hopefuly it will stay that way keeping BASE as uniqe as it is now and forever.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I´m not judgemental on your opinion of what you think mainstreaming is. It is just not the same opinion it seems. I feel that FB´s publicity conjures an image brought on by the J Geils song " Angel was a centerfold", this is mainstream to me (the sport being the angel on this case).
I feel that 90 jumpers on a once secret site shared by you and your BASE partner, at one time is mainstream. It´s my feeling. I feel that as you said

What we parceled out for free in slow measured increments to only the right people.

that one´s who don´t do this are mainstreaming the sport. Understandably it can be Baloney to you, but not I.
I just hooked up my canopy to a different harness. One has not the clairvoyancy to determine if any act is right or wrong AFAIK.

Our new found dependence on legal sites (and keeping them legal) is stifling to the BASE community at large .

I would tend to disagree as this is not my opinion. Tracking, acrobatic and rigging skills are well advanced than only 5 yrs ago. almost doubled in just the last ten years. that is not stifling IMHO.
take care,
space

the recent antics at the Potato Bridge

IMO, all it takes for a company to lose good will among base jumpers is to sponsor a bunch of ego hungry little boys and have them wear your helmets while raping a valuable legal object.

No amount of boycott will get an object back after it's burned - and even if all the base jumpers boycott redbull it's not going to phase a company who's built an impressive international distribution system. I switched to go fast for personal reasons - it just feels better to support a company who hasn't been sponsoring media hungry idiots.

...and even if all the base jumpers boycott redbull it's not going to phase a company who's built an impressive international distribution system....

It might if you started an actual counter-campaign. For example, you started a group called "Extreme Athletes Against RedBull" or some such, maybe call your movement "Red Bull Clips Your Wings". You could write letters, appear at Red Bull events protesting. I think a well organized protest movement could accomplish a lot. I don't think we're there yet, but it's always a possibility. I wonder if you could get funding from Rockstar for it? ;)
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I don't know if a boycott is necessary, but it'd be a shame to "Red Bull Clips Your Wings" go to waste. Unfortunately, I really like Red Bull, so it's hard to get behind a boycott. Hell, they sponsor FELIX and I drink the stuff. Maybe I shouldn't admit that...
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

I wonder if you could get funding from Rockstar for it?

That's it... I'm going for a SumPoosie sponsorship. B|:S:)

- Z

When Troy Widgery first developed Red Bull, I remember Al Frisby, at Perris, spitting it out and saying, "Well, now we know what Troy did with all those tube stows he couldn't sell . . .

Nick :)BASE 194

That's it... I'm going for a SumPoosie sponsorship. B|:S:)

I think a screw BASE # would increase your chance of getting sponsored from them....hehehe ;):P:)
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."

I think a screw BASE # would increase your chance of getting sponsored from them....hehehe

I'm so close! Only 4 more objects to goB|

Oh:| That's all of em.

I think a screw BASE # would increase your chance of getting sponsored from them....hehehe

Well you could be a team player and help me out in that department. ;):S:)

- Z

Hey, I'm working on my master-base # hehehe... ;)
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."

And you know, Space, I’ve never done anything but promote BASE from within. You have lost that position now.

Nick,
I´ve never bucked for position. so it´s cool with me. Nothing implied at all. i jes been being me.

Thanks for bringin up some good stuff!
take care,
space

Yes, no, your sumisery is mistaken.
The management does not honor his illegal jump.
The site was opened to legal jumps by others.

Honor is a strong word for a poach doncha think, to the mangement? The grand effort of Robin Heid (paperwork meister) supplemented by his crew was AFAIK the one who got it opened. My surmise was dissed by others also. So I humbly retract it and buy the next round. Let me know when.
Take care and keep up the good work, all of you!!
space

Hey Space, yes it was Robin who got Petronas' doors opened to BASE.

On a side note, Nick, Troy's drink is Go Fast, not Red Bull.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com