rickjump1

Trying out a new base canopy

If you want to check out the flying characteristics of a new base canopy could you hook it up to a skydiving rig (with reserve of course) and try it out out of an airplane?
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

yes............

just get a container that can take the size of your canopy and connect it up.............

alot of people skydive their canopies to dial them in.................

......and alot of people dont!! :P

Don't forget the sail slider though !!! :)

Mesh sliders work fine after a 14-16 second delays, and produce even softer openings on clear-and-pulls from fast (King Air) skydiving aircraft.

Use whatever slider you have, roll the nose, don't use too big of a pilot chute, and you'll be fine.

I jumped my FLiK with vents and covers and a mesh slider packed into a huge skydiving rig. I jumped it like that out of a 172, and a King Air. No worries, it'll be fine. Personally, I wouldn't do much more than a hop-n-pop like that though.

Ganja "BASE Pending" Rodriguez

Personally, I wouldn't do much more than a hop-n-pop like that though.

So by that logic, you'd never take your Flik terminal with a mesh slider? Terminal is terminal, be it on a BASE jump or a skydive.

If you rig and pack appropriately for a terminal jump, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to take the canopy terminal on a skydive.

I'm not arguing with you, perhaps you have a reason for avoiding a terminal deployment that I don't know about. Cheers!

Well, the only reason I have is that I have never had the opportunty to take it terminal off of an object. I guess the thought of treminal is terminal never crossed my mind, but why would you want to get slammed when you could always just opt to add a sail slider and slow it down a bit?

Ganja

when you could always just opt to add a sail slider and slow it down a bit?

the slower the deployment, the more time external factors have to effect the heading performance........... sod using a sail slider - i only have 1 terminal BASE jump and used a large mesh slider - not really that much of a hum dinger opening............

So you'd reccomend a mesh slider for taking a base canopy skydiving then? I guess I;d have thought the openings to brisk to justify it...

Ganja "Learning more everday" Rodriguez

So you'd reccomend a mesh slider for taking a base canopy skydiving then? I guess I;d have thought the openings to brisk to justify it...

Like Dexter said... terminal is terminal.

I've taken my Ace out with a mesh slider on skydives to terminal. Opened just the same as on my tower jumps.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

...I'd have thought the openings to brisk to justify it...

>>If you use direct slider control it can soften your openings alot

Ganja "Learning more everday" Rodriguez

ah I see what you meant now...sail slider whilst skydivining.... sorry i misread you...

but yeah why not? depends what you want to do with the canopy - i mean do you also want to put it in a D-Bag? if you want to put a bunch of jumps on it then for stresses and wear you may want to put it in a bag and sail slider - but there is no reason not to put a mesh slider on it and jump it in the same way as you BASE it at terminal.......

to terminal. Opened just the same as on my tower jumps.

show off!!..... :P with your big towers and vators! ;)

i hear a very cool place!!

show off!!..... :P with your big towers and vators! ;)

LOL. The irony of it all is that I REALLY like the low shit. ;)

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

show off!!..... with your big towers and vators!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL. The irony of it all is that I REALLY like the low shit.

we really need to meet one day mateB| i would love to exit a 2000fter from one of the lowest exitpoints,just to be the one i am:D:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

If you're going to use a sail slider make sure it's the correct design for the canopy. Your canopy manufacturer will be able to provide / advise.

Remember, any kind of opening (hard / soft / unlubricated) is preferable to no opening at all. Right, Mac?
Remember 813 is not current with openings of any kind. He's at home on the couch beating it like it owes him money.:P

Nothing wrong with mesh. It would at least prepare you for the schwacking to expect on the big stuff.

Cowboy up!
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

Well, the only reason I have is that I have never had the opportunty to take it terminal off of an object. I guess the thought of treminal is terminal never crossed my mind, but why would you want to get slammed when you could always just opt to add a sail slider and slow it down a bit?

Ganja

better go and jump terminal first and than give the suggestion to others.

To jump from the plane first and learn how the NEW canopy work in the air is very good idea, especially when you can keep as close as possible configuration. The mash slider and rolled nose will work super fine and will not kill you or slam you more than on terminal or sub term. base jumps.

Using the sail slider for BASE is bad , very bad idea in general anyway.

Regards
robi
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

Does anyone have any experience taking a vented canopy terminal? How much worse will the hard opening be? I've got 2 (count'em) hop n' pops on my FLik 293 (with vents), but I deployed almost immediately upon exit and I used a sail slider. So I snivelled (and I'm not complaining). But I'm curious as to what kind of opening I can expect from a vented canopy taken terminal both in the BASE and skydiving environments.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I had my FOX 265 vented (and valved) over the winter. I made one hop-and-pop skydive on it to determine new brake setting positions. Naturally, my next eight jumps were from a tower affording terminal delays. B| I used a small hole mesh slider and rolled the nose a bit and the openings were fine - even with a rather heavy top-mounted video camera.

Mark

Remember, any kind of opening (hard / soft / unlubricated) is preferable to no opening at all. Right, Mac?
Remember 813 is not current with openings of any kind. He's at home on the couch beating it like it owes him money.

shit...... did i leave a web cam on!?!?

Nothing wrong with mesh.

except that its not wipe clean like a sail slider.............. oh dear i need to get out more........... oh shit i cant!!
:(