Nightingale

Another stupid newbie gear question...

Less parasitic drag resulting in a slightly faster air speed.

And less distortion of the airfoil at higher speeds.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
Senior Parachute Rigger
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

and gives you one more thing not to forget w
when you pack

yeap, nothing better than closing everything and seeing you forgot that :S

the thought of leaving it like that just to avoid openning everything up again has actually crossed my mind... :|

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

and gives you one more thing not to forget w
when you pack

the thought of leaving it like that just to avoid openning everything up again has actually crossed my mind... :|

O

a friend forgot once... He will never forget again... landed with both handles, found main and freebag... :P
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

I have a bungee-collapsible pilot chute, which doesn't *need* to be cocked (I always do it anyway).

Just for fun I sometimes make a show of picking it up while packing, dropping it to the floor (collapsed), then look satisfied and say 'That'll do just fine.' Scary thing is I have seen some raised eyebrows but nobody actually commented on this. Maybe they've got me figured out ;)
Rainman

It's not -all- about airspeed.

Less drag equals better glide ratio.

I've had a non-collapsible PC for about 250 out of my 280 jumps under a Pilot 168 at 1.2. Can anyone make a good argument for me getting a collapsible PC when I'm not currently doing anything requiring more performance?

I've had a non-collapsible PC for about 250 out of my 280 jumps under a Pilot 168 at 1.2. Can anyone make a good argument for me getting a collapsible PC when I'm not currently doing anything requiring more performance?

280 jumps, Pilot 168, WL 1.2 - you probably wouldn't notice the difference....definitely not worth the cost of replacement.

Unless , of course, you put yourself into a position of a long spot and having to have that 1 extra foot to make it over that barbed wire fence.
;)

Hellis:
:D:D:D
:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I think you probably would notice the difference in performance. I noticed it when I installed a collapsible PC at a WL of 1.10.

As others have already stated,an inflated PC will not only slow your canopy, but it changes the angle of attack of the canopy by causing the suspended weight (you) to pitch farther forward. An inflated PC distorts the canopy by pulling at the center, causing the airfoil shape to be distorted. The extra drag, change in angle of attack, and distortion of the wing all add up to a performance change that will be noticed, even at your wingloading, and even if you never ever swoop. You won't fly as far, and the flare won't be as powerful. It is worth the cost.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Collapsable PCs (btw, "PC" used to stand for "Paracommander";)) and stowable sliders (I do remember "split sliders", daisy-chained together down the middle) are new to me. Can someone point me to websites that explain how these work?

I believe you have my stapler.

www.parachutemanuals.com

You should find packing instructions for collapsible sliders in just about any modern canopy owners manual.

You should find packing instructions for Kill-line Pilot Chutes in just about any modern harness/container owners manual.

Alternatively, you could ask just about any rigger (or jumper for that matter) next time you are at the DZ.

No, not if you are comfortable and happy jumping your current non-callapsible pc.

Having a collapsible pc just adds 1 more step to your packing process that could be forgotten. If you dont understand or desire the reward, its not worth the risk. Just understand how they work, in the event that you want to borrow or demo someone else's gear.