ReLLiK75

Mirage G3, Icon, or Odyssey?

I'm looking at getting a new container. I've got a container that's in great shape, but it can't take an AAD and it fits me a little snug in the shoulders. I'd really like to get an AAD, and I'd like something that really fits me well.

I bought the entire rig in almost mint condition from a friend for $600. The main (Falcon 215) had less than 70 jumps on it so I know I got a great deal. I've put about 60 jumps on the rig since I've gotten it, but I know that I want a rig that allows me some flexibility as a grow in the sport. Also, I have no intentions of downsizing anytime soon.

So my question is this: Should I just suck up what I've got, and keep jumping it until I'm ready to downsize and then buy a complete new rig, or should I bite the bullet and get a container that provides me with what I'm looking for? If so, which of the above containers would you go with? I'm a little strapped for cash so I really like the ability to finance with Mirage.

I've only got 80 jumps right now, but I'm quite happy with my 215. I weight around 180 so I'm almost at a 1:1 out the door. I really don't see myself ever getting super excited about high performance canopies since I consider myself to be a rather conservative pilot. I honestly think I'll be quite happy flying around on something like a Sabre2 170 for many years to come.

So if I do buy something new, I know I've got to get a container to allow for a 190 size canopy (which will hold my 215) in order to eventually get down to that 170.

Thoughts, suggestions, or ideas?????

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these containers. I've put over a 1000 jumps on a Odyssey and never had a problem. The Icon looks solid and I have several friends that love their Mirage. Howver I recently went to RWS to look at their M-Series and Micron and after a good tour, I was sold. From the risers to the BOC it is (in my mind) the best on the market.
Some other containers that are really good, Infinity and Wings. Both are a little less expensive than the above containers but they are still rock solid.

You can easily have an AAD put into your container by a master rigger or the manufacturer. If you're starting to feel that your current canopy is not doing all you want, and you want to downsize, order a container. By the time you get it, you'll probably be ready for that 190, if you're a good packer you could probably put a used 190 in a container for a 170. (Most will go +/- one size)

Dave

If you are looking at new containers you forgot some really nice ones. I really like Infinity, Kelly make one great rig and you can not be their customer service. Plus her is also Wings to. Both of which have alot faster turn times then Mirage or Odyssey, oh did I mention they are cheaper too.
Kirk

I really like Infinity, Kelly make one great rig and you can not be their customer service. Plus her is also Wings to. Both of which have alot faster turn times then Mirage or Odyssey

Currently Mirage offers what is about the fastest delivery time in the industry - 4-6 weeks. Wings and Infinity are both around 10-12. Odyssey's... well, you'll be waiting a while....

Well, the main reason I threw Mirage and Odyssey out there is because both have a rig instock that may possibly fit me. The one Mirage G3 they have is basically fully loaded. It's got much more than I personally would have had put on, but the fact that it's instock is a plus. And that financing option is really tempting! I listed the Icon because it comes with everything you could ever want for about $1400.

I've heard great things about Infinity and Wings and know that they're a lot cheaper. I almost feel that my hands are being tied in terms of if I'm going to buy one, I have to buy Mirage because they offer financing. I know I can get a fully loaded Icon for much cheaper than the G3. I think a fully loaded Infinity is right around the same price, as the Icon. Hmmm...could always just charge one on a low interest credit card :)
I guess the main thing is, if I'm going to spend the money, I want something of excellent quality that I'll have no qualms with jumping over the next 5 years or so.

Hey man...

I bought a brand new g3 sized M-4 this year. It's made for a 170... but if you know how to pack right... you can get a 190 in there. I bought this size since I knew I'd be ready to move on from the 190, I'll be very happy and on a good learning curve with the 170 for quite awhile... and then later I can even put in a 150 when I'm ready.

So, yes... you can get a 190 in containers made to 'best fit' a 170.

Disclaimer: You're going to need a rigger to look over how tight of a fit you've got. If it's too tight it could lead to nasty mals (pc in tow:o) and also in the event of two canopies out you will probably have two different size canopies to deal with (although alot of research needs to be done here to conclusively know the repercussions). Also, I've heard that you run the possibility of basically busting out seems in your main container if it's packed too tightly. Finally, and trust me on this!, it's really freaking difficult to bag brand new zp into a bag that it's too large for. I just can't stress enough how much determination it took to learn to pack this thing right! No probs. now though.

Good luck!

Chaps

Edited to add: Oh yeah... I also wanted to let you know that if you go with the mirage you won't be sorry... when you put this rig on you'll know what comfort and security feel like.
Carpe diem

Hmmm...could always just charge one on a low interest credit card

I'm not positive, but I'm willing to bet that this is cheaper than the financing offered by Mirage.

If you're going to spend the money on a new rig, do yourself a favor and get it built for you. "In stock" is great for the fast delivery, but there's just nothing like a rig built for you.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Yeah...I think I'm going to place an order for a brand new Icon with a Pilot 168 Main. I've been playing around with the rig designer they have on their website and have come up with a couple of cool designs. Now I just have to choose which one....

Anyway, the price Aerodyne is getting for a complete system right now is just too damn good to pass up!!!

If you are looking at new containers you forgot some really nice ones. I really like Infinity, Kelly make one great rig and you can not be their customer service. Plus her is also Wings to. Both of which have alot faster turn times then Mirage or Odyssey, oh did I mention they are cheaper too.
Kirk

I wanted to let you know Mirage is running 4-5 weeks. JT

Yeah...I think I'm going to place an order for a brand new Icon with a Pilot 168 Main. I've been playing around with the rig designer they have on their website and have come up with a couple of cool designs. Now I just have to choose which one....

Anyway, the price Aerodyne is getting for a complete system right now is just too damn good to pass up!!!

I beleive I talked to you on the phone this week about a container system. Although the Icon is a good deal for the money it is still made in South Africa and Aerodyne can only make some repairs on the container in the US. Any major repairs have to be done in South Africa. They cannot beat the delivery time and service we can at Mirage. JT

JT-
I believe I told you on the phone the other day when you called my office that we have a full time Master Rigger on staff (Cliff Dobson, for those of you who know him) in our in-house parachute/container repair facility here in Tampa. We offer full service rigging for all of our products. However in some instances, say you drop your container in a wood chipper, we may, choose to send it back to Durban, however we ship using DHL and it is three days each way, or less, so you're looking at the maximum addition of less than a week.
I actually got to meet Wayne (ReLLiK75) this weekend at the collegiate boogie in Williston Florida. He had the opportunity to really take a good look at the Icon, and fly the Pilot.

Aubrey
Aerodyne
Sales Manager

http://www.aerodyne-int.com/sport/default.asp

I just wanted to add this from a post from Wayne under thread Aerodyne Pilot:

Aerodyne Pilot - NEW Quote | Reply
------------------------------------------------------------------------Well Aerodyne was at the Williston Boogie today. They showed up with a bunch of gear for people to demo. I got to demo a Pilot 188 and let me say what a great canopy!!! This thing is awesome. There were a bunch of people jumping all different sizes and all everyone had to say about the canopy they were demoing were great things. Everyone simply loved flying the Pilot, regardless of canopy size. I've ordered one of the complete Icon systems with a Pilot 168 and after flying the 188 today and actually seeing the Icon container, I cannot wait until I get my rig!!!

Way to go Aerodyne!!!!
"Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it"