Franko

time to pull?

hello

i m very new and has a question:
how do expereinced base-jumpers know when to pull?
do them count? do them see it?
only i know by skydiving it is al most imposible to see it. is this different in base because the jumper closer to earth?

thank you

franko

I was wondering the same thing, especially when jumping off a particularly tall object where a certain delay is required before pull time.

> how do experienced base-jumpers know when to pull?
We (the Italian BASE community) do NOT count to pull. When we jump for the first time our terminal wall, we are taught the maximum number of seconds "allowed", usually we pull a little bit earlier B|.
Then, when you have more experience (=more jumps off that particular wall), you start to look exactly where you are, your position with respect to talus, your position with respect to right "pillar", your position with respect to left "sloping talus", whatever.
The more jumps we do off a certain terminal wall, the later we can pull because we have become acquainted with "sorrounding rocks" and we know where we are and so we now when it is time to pull B|
Same thing when we jump for first time our subterminal wall: this subterminal wall has got a ledge/talus protruding few tens of meters with respect to vertical of exit point exactly at midheight. We are taught to start tracking as soon as possible and to have a look at the talus: if, along our tracking, we see that we are clearing it, well, we know we can pass it and pull after (=at same lavel as/below) the talus, otherwise (=if we see our track is NOT so effective) we'd better to pull BEFORE the talus (=pull before/within 5 s). The first times, yes, it is quite scary to have to take the decision to pull while on track, but, again, after few jumps, you get acquainted with your position "on the mountain" and so the environment become more friendly and it becomes easier to take the decision of pulling.
In our experience, we have witnessed many very experienced foreign jumpers, when they come to jump our terminal wall for the very first time, they do NOT take the same delay we take, but they pull quite earlier than us, because they are not yet acquainted with "where to pull at latest". After few jumps, they are capable of pulling where we pull.
Of course, there are foreign jumpers that the very first time they jump and pull after 12 s, but they are an exception.
The norm for BASE jumping walls (terminal and subterminal), and any other "high" object, for the "normal" BASE jumper, including ourselves :)Remeber, to pull "low" in a BASE jump is NOT ONLY the joy/happyness/whatever you get while in freefall (and so extending the pleasure B| ), but pulling "low" while doing a very effective track, is what gets you further off/away from the object.
The lower you open, the farest you are from the object (granted you did a good track) and the less likely is to have an object strike in case of a 180° opening (= you have more time to deal with it bla bla bla).
Just my 0.02€.
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

Wait until your really scared, count to 2, then pullB|
Seriously, 689 gives some great info....what he said:P
Later
Blair

Wait until your really scared, count to 2, then pullB|

I get really scared standing at exit. So should I pull before I jump?

First Class Citizen Twice Over

I get really scared standing at exit. So should I pull before I jump?

I have some pretty funny old BD video where this guy is past "two-one-thousand" before his feet even leave the Bridge. :D

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Wait until your really scared, count to 2, then pull

I heard that before. If I had ever done like that I'd be dead. It's BS.

"Wait until your really scared, count to 2, then pull
Seriously, 689 gives some great info....what he said"

That's why I was just joking.... I agree its BS, but I'm in a sarcastically pissy mood today, sorry to let it bleed over into these forums.:S
Stay safe
Blair

"Wait until your really scared, count to 2, then pull
Seriously, 689 gives some great info....what he said"

or what Tom( im not sure) did say on a previus tread like this.

"wait until your scared then count for 3 sec(which will happen whith in 1/4sec) then pull";)

personaly i pull when i get scared.. and ofthen i find myself in a safe alti as i some how gets a bit chiken:ph34r::D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Gee Blair, and your my mentor in this sport? Maybe we need some method of knowing which is real and which is sarcasm. Maybe a red light /green light system or something.....lol

Ganja "A sarcastic person myself" Rodriguez

Hey Franko,
usually, if the people are the size of ants,--it's time to pull.
if the ants are the size of people:o, -- don't bother.
Base-Rigger

Um... in BASE, you will frequently be standing at the exit point and be able to see the facial expressions of people on the ground.

In that situation, I would definitely recommend you pull at sometime.

Skydiving is not BASE jumping.

let your mentor p.c.a.you from 200' .then you tell him when it,s time to pull

I don't have a mentor. Sounds like a good time.;)

I'm not quite sure what your post is getting at though.

[:/]:):$I think it's really important that you know when your ready.some jumps are harder than others .you can allways walk away or find somebody who allready jumped it.then go after them .B|

Reminds me when two buddies of mine jumped off a 17th floor balcony during a party - the first guy got d-bagged off, scraped over a brick wall and crunched down on the paved parking lot... Then he yelled up 'Don't jump! it's too low!' to the other guy who was going to freefall it. That guy just heard 'JUMP! .....GO!' and went for it... He was ok.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Still a little unclear what you're getting at. Are you directing these comments to me or are you just posting them in general?

Sounds like a good time.;)

count me in;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Gee Blair, and your my mentor in this sport? Maybe we need some method of knowing which is real and which is sarcasm. Maybe a red light /green light system or something.....lol

Ganja "A sarcastic person myself" Rodriguez

RED LIGHT
Blair as your mentor!!!!!!:S:S You might need a second opinion!!

ps- love ya Blair;)

Yeah, all the other guys were too busy, so I had to settle for my second choice, or was that third, or fourth, no wait, defintely my 8th choice of people....

Ganja "Feel the love" Rodriguez