JustRelax

cordura or spandex BOC pouch?

Apart from taste I have heard that the cordura BOC pouch can be a hard pull. Is it a technique thing?

I would think that the cordura pouch, atleast the one that I've seen on the new Wings containers, would make for less chance of a hardpull than a spandex BOC.

.-.

Note: I am not a rigger.

In the past, though, there were more manufactures that had a different version of a Cordura BOC. Those resulted in a good handful of no-pulls/reserve rides.

The Wings I have, with the Cordura BOC is great, I've yet to have a hard pull on that (in the year and a half and roughly 500+ jumps I have on it).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You don't have to choose. There is a combination of Spandex and Cordura called (you'll never guess) Spandura. We have been using it on the Sigma Tandem rig for 3 years, and it is now standard on all Relative Workshop products. It stretches just like Spandex, and is just a durable as Cordura...Honest.

Problems with Cordura pouches happen when you put a larger volume pilot chute in your pouch than it was designed for, or sometimes even when you simply overstuff your main container.

I had the opportunity and pleasure to have Bill show me aound the RWS factory.. (completely impressed with his work, I'm changing to a Mircon). Anyways the Spandura is everything that Bill says it is.

It is so much more durable than regular spandex. It also amazes me how much research they do on fabrics and webbing. Evey BOC should be made from the stuff.

Ya know, every time you post I get a little bit happier about my decision to buy a Vector 3. I find it so comforting to know that you've worked out the best solutions to all these details. But get all this info up on your website! After ordering my Vector, I've learned a lot of reasons why I should choose a Vector. :)thought your spandex pouch was a downside to the Vector. I'm happy to find out I was wrong!

And while you're at it, speed my rig through! I dunno if I can wait till march! :P

Dave

Also, Spandex or Spandura pouch would be a better solution in clearing horseshoe (due to easier PC extraction), when using this method:

This seems like the most important information to me because its a safety precaution issue in the case of a certain malfunction.

Apart from taste I have heard that the cordura BOC pouch can be a hard pull. Is it a technique thing?

I rent one rig and borrow another right now. One has spandex BOC, the other cordura. I was very nervous about the cordura at first. Trying to pull the PC out of the pouch on the ground, the cordura definitely retains the PC more solidly than the spandex.

So on the ground I packed and stuffed the PC, donned the rig, pulled, doffed the rig and repeated about a dozen times until I was happy that the way I was packing (and loading) the PC was good. (I never had a hard pull while I was doing these experiments; they all felt a little harder or "chunkier" on the cordura than on the spandex but they pulled OK. I repeated so many times because I wanted to be SURE.)

In the air at pull time I haven't been able to tell the difference, because when I think "WAVE; REACH; PULL" I'm not doing it half-hearted like on the ground.

My advice to try and avoid hard pull with the cordua then is:
1. practice packing your PC and pulling it with the rig on, while on the ground. Get a consistent PC packing method that works for you and you (and your rigger and/or other experienced jumpers) are pretty sure is kosher by PC packing standards.
2. pack your PC in this way reliably.
3. door!

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Do most people have spandex or cordura? I don't want to be the only one with a cordura boc, making my packers hate me because it's harder to pack or something. And cordura doesn't "cinch" around the PC the way spandex would. How are there not MORE prematures with cordura?

Sorry, I'm just having a hard time picturing it.

Kelly

I wonder if it makes a difference between zero p and "f-111"?

It does. I have rigs with both types. An F111 PC is more difficult to get into the pouch when packing, but is is much less likely to slip out accidently.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I loved the cordura pouch on my reflex. My vector has a spandura pouch (just tougher than normal spandex) which works fine, but I thinkt he cordura was a little easier to work with. The thing is, once you open up the mouth to stuff your PC in, the rest of the pouch is pretty loose so the PC slides in easily. It's held in place firmly by the tight mouth though. I never had a hard pull, and the elastic stayed nice and tight the whole time I owned the reflex (still own it actually...just dont jump it anymore).

On the spandura pouch, I can see that it's going to stretch and wear out the most right at the opening. It holds the PC tightly now, but I can see that as I keep stretching it open every time I pack, I'll wear it out eventually and it'll get looser and looser over time. With the cordura pouch, if it's tight when you pack it, chances are it'll be tight in the air. If it loosens, I imagine you only need to replace a piece of elastic instead of the entire pouch too.

If I had the choice on the vector, I woulda gone with cordura. But then again, Bill Booth went with spandura and he knows just a tad more about this sorta thing than I do. :)
Dave

If I had the choice on the vector, I woulda gone with cordura. But then again, Bill Booth went with spandura and he knows just a tad more about this sorta thing than I do. :)
Dave

LOL!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP