scott2002

First BASE rig

I've been wanting to get into BASE for a while now, but it seems like most people want you to have your own rig before you start jumping. Well, I'm trying to decide what kind of rig to purchase. I've been surfing the internet looking at the different types of containers and there appears to be 3 different types. I've seen single pin, double pin, and velcro closed. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Why do you choose to jump what you do?

Tom's article is great! B|

You might also want to go over to Blinc and read through the Knowledge BASE. You can also search through the BASE Board message archives and dig up a lot of good information. I wouldn't recommend posting the "first BASE rig" question on the BASE Board though, they get that question a lot and will just point you to the resources I've mentioned.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Good article, I would've liked to read a bit about suitable wing-loadings under the canopy section though.

Congratulations on a very informative article!!B|

Good to see that the experienced are willing to share their knowledge.

Thanks TOM

" You have never lived until you've almost died, and for those who has experienced it, life has a flavour the protected would never understand"

" You have never lived until you've almost died, and for those who has experienced it, life has a flavour the protected would never understand"

a really good article. i really like that lots of what he said echoes what i was told by the BASE types i've asked..

for containers i'm looking at Bombproof Rigging (i love being able to stick my head in and watch and discuss them being made.)

Do the same size people ever try to get together and partner on a rig purchase - like small craft pilots do with planes?

I want to try this, but I'm pinched for cash.

Words aren't real

I think because of the less-than-legal status of many BASE jumps, this may be a bad idea.

What if I'm a half owner of a rig and my buddy gets busted? Now I'm the half owner of a confiscated rig and my buddy may be looking at a couple thousand $$ in fines. If he's in a finacial situation where he needs to have a partner to fund a BASE rig, it's doubtful he'd be able to pay my half back.

If you're just doing legal jumps though... may be feasable.

Do the same size people ever try to get together and partner on a rig purchase

No way...you can but I'd say no way. You both want to jump at the same time and flee... now you have to play rock paper scissors every time to see who gets to jump and who doesn't.

And... what dexterbase said.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Read read read and save save save, the objects aren't going anywhere.

Be safe.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Look around in your life. You HAVE stuff, stuff you don't use. Everybody that has enough skydiving experience to want to consider BASE, needs to look around and take stock. Kayaks, Mountain Bikes, Climbing gear, Scuba diving crap, more than one skydiving canopy, YOUR COMPUTER, when sold, will make a fine down payment on a new BASE rig. If you really want it, a new BASE rig is the same price as one third of a new skydiving rig. Have a yard sale, buy a rig, best of luck!
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

BWWWWWWWAaaaaaaahahaaaaaaaaaahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaha

God damn that hit 2 close to home. I didn't need that stuff anyway, and I got the rest of my life to pay for the half of my rig I didn't have the cash for. Thanks MasterCard!

Count yer pennies!!! Basic Research is building your new rig as I type.:D

Digurman, as an aside, how high is the highest flikable point on a off-shore rig anyway? Do you get days off out there? Is there a smaller powerboat you can use? Can you bring friends to work with you? Can I be your friend?:ph34r:

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Hi Dexter,
sorry for the off-topic.
Have you read the evolution of your idea of "SL-to-be-carried-with-you" Static Line?
Look for my post on the BB. I have already jumped that set up, working really fine indeed B|.
And reply to my post suggested also a way to make it safer (=with respect to possible entaglements).
See you soon
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

I sold my plasma twice a week for 78 weeks. sometimes I would not be able to drink enough to rehydrate and so I stole IV's from my work and put a liter into my leg before donating. I paid for my first rig and a FJC with that money. All it takes is dedication - and now I can say I bought my gear with blood.

so tell me how and where to sell plasma...i work enough, but can always use more $!

i sold mine to a company called ZLB Plasma Services... most college towns have some equivilent company. You just have to search your area.

Cheers to track marks!

sum1

sweet..thanks