meltdown

Anyone hear of a PISA SR-71 canopy?

I jump one and have about 120 jumps on it. It is actually a PISA Conquest that was private labeled by Western Parachute Sales in Oregon ( Call Ralph Hatley). It was made by Aerodyne.
I have had good openings with it with just one slammer opening. ( not really that hard but I have a VERY BAD BACK so I appreciate a good soft opening) That pack job was by a professional packer who knew better than I how to pack it and he just stuffed the nose and did not roll the nose or the tail. I have psycho packed it.. or I pro pack it.. I roll the entire nose and the tail quite a bit in either case.

IT has ALWAYS given me on heading openings and a good snivel when ever I have packed it or the regular packers I have used that actually listen to me. Its not a swooper special by any means although at 1.2 to 1 I can get a pretty long turf surf out of it... all things considered. It was well constructed and the ZP is holding up well. It packs up fairly easy and is not as slippery as some of the newer ZP Fabrics/coatings.

Oh and as Hookitt said.. Front risers can get interesting.. Ralph told me NOT to when I bought it but have tried it and there is a sweet spot that can be fun but if you pass that it gets mushy and the nose starts to fold up a bit. Jovial Chris here on DIZZIE.Com also jumps one and has probably about 500 jumps on his and was thinking of relining it. Its resale value is probably lower than some other current NAME BRAND ZP higher performance canopies hence it will be NOWHERE near as expensive to get into.... but hey if you can get it for a good price... and its in good condition.. go demo jump it. I have no real complaints about mine.

DO not jump anything that is made before Y2K. If you look at the progress that was made from 1989-1999 it is immense. From 2000 to present is is incremental. Canopy technology matured in the late 90's. No need to jump a Nova, Excalibur, Saber, SR-71, Monarch, etc. The path has been paved on the vertebrates of those who preceded you. There is no need for you to re litigate the past.

Brent, I do believe the Stiletto and Spectre were both introduced before 2000. Are those canopies not safe to jump?

I agree that there are lots of newer canopies that have soft snivelly openings. But making a blanket statement like pre-Y2K canopies shouldn't be jumped isn't valid. I have made 900+ jumps on different sized Sabres and my hardest opening was on a post Y2K canopy known for soft snivelly openings. A canopy that opens quicker can be an asset, like when flying a WS. I say be educated and learn from the past. Then let folks decide.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

brenthutch

DO not jump anything that is made before Y2K. If you look at the progress that was made from 1989-1999 it is immense. From 2000 to present is is incremental. Canopy technology matured in the late 90's. No need to jump a Nova, Excalibur, Saber, SR-71, Monarch, etc. The path has been paved on the vertebrates of those who preceded you. There is no need for you to re litigate the past.

Oh wow.

so you are saying my 2009 Spectre is much better than my 1997 Spectre ? Or that my 2010 PDR is a number of steps above my 1993 PDR ???

This the a problem with putting hard numbers on things - it's not accurate. Otherwise you would be able to articulate the major change that happened to the gear between December 31, 1999 and Jan 1st, 2000

brenthutch

WHOAAAAA

Serious thread necromancing.. I think someone is going back and reading thru all my old posts...

Whats wrong bubba.. ya miss me in SC???:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

brenthutch

DO not bring back old useless threads! ... or something like that.

You're wrong though. Some designs are fine.

Why the hell did you up this particular thread? ;)

The SR-71 was just as good as anything made at the time

OH that's not true either due to the fact that MANY of them slammed open and the nose wanted to fold under if you pulled on the front risers. People now don't know that nifty feature.

Pisa used to make a fair amount of shit canopies.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Read into that a little more because I meant, Some, not all.

Some that worked fine were still a bit off quality wise. It doesn't really matter now since they were purchased by Aerodyne. I still wouldn't front riser an SR-71 ;)

I've jumped a tempo on a borrowed rig. It was fine. I know how to fly canopies with short control strokes since I used to jump Micro Ravens. It even had all the cross ports and no built in turn. At least I don't think it had a turn because I only flew it once. I spiraled down and hooked it in right where the main landed. The gelvenor fabric was bulky but easy to work with for sure.

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

SkymonkeyONE

I don't know, Tim. I had really good service out of my two Tempo 120 reserves and I loved Gelvenor ZP fabric.

I love Gelvenor, I jumped at the chance to get a Mamba custom made with the stuff when they found a few rolls of it hidden away in a closet or some corner in the South African factory!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P