Bluhdow

X-Bird Range

My progression has been P2 -> Havok -> V4.

I'd like to look at something a little larger and was thinking of an original X-Bird. Any thoughts on X1 vs. X2 vs. X3?

My thinking is that the X1 is slightly smaller and may be a better transition into the Tony style of flying from the PF line rather than just going for the X3. Besides...once you get into suits that size I'd probably just go for an Aura.

So is my thinking misguided? Is the X1 a reasonable (and maybe even necessary) step between the V4 and X3/Aura? Or is it a relatively minor intermediate step that is easily skipped over?

And I haven't really given much thought to the X2. Maybe that's an even better next step. I'm just not very clear on the difference between the 3 aside from the fact that each upgrade in the series also provides a slightly larger wing/volume.

Lastly, even if you order a new X1 my assumption is that Tony's newest tips and tricks will be applied during production. So it's not like he goes back a few years technologically to make the suit. He just applies new technology to the older style platform.

Any guidance here is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Apex BASE

Put a couple jumps on a S-bird, if that's comfy get a X. That being said... I would rent a S, rent a X and then check out the Squirrel Suits. My personal view is that the Squirrel suits are the fastest inflating, most symmetrical and safest big-ger suit out there. Guys are doing incredible things in these suits because they are better and instill confidence in their pilots.

I have: 2 jumps on a Birdman Classic, 2 jumps on a S3, 1 jump on a Phoenix suit (don't remember which one, 20 jumps on a S-bird, 2 jumps on an Apache, 50 jumps on a X bird (which is what I own, rarely jump, but enjoy to fly and am comfortable in when I do...) I'm NOT A WS EXPERT BY ANY MEANS AND MY PROGRESSION IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

Do what you want, but be safe.

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

I had a similar progression to you, but skipped a step in between the P2 and V4.

First jumps: Tony Intro (10 jumps)
First suit: Tony Raptor (30 jumps)
Second Suit: Phantom 2 (200ish jumps)
Third suit: Vampire 4: (50ish jumps)
+ several jumps on random suits along the way, all the way up to an Apache prototype a few weeks ago.

This week....I bought an Aura. My first new suit! Expected delivery date is Jan 20th, 2014.

Not making any recommendations on your progression, but I honestly don't believe you'll find a HUGE difference between an X1, X2, X3...

One thing I will mention is that I find PF suits fly like they're on rails. It's easy to rip a solid turn etc. Very confidence inspiring. When I jumped the Apache, I felt like I was on a float tube being pulled behid a boat. It flew straight, but it seemed to be a bit looser, ie: it would slide around and it was a COMEPLETELY different flying style than PF suits. PF, drop a shoulder, turn your head and you're gone. In the Apache, I did that and I had to counter the turn with my legs to avoid "spinning out" and going into a flatspin. It was actually a bit scary, and the suit deserves a lot of respect and patience to learn it.

NOTE: I'm comparing 2 VERY different suits (V4 and Apache), and I've only done 2 jumps on an Apache, but I can assure you, it is a WORLD of difference in technology. I'm sure the Aura will be similar, but from what I've heard, it flies somewhere in between a PF suit and a Tony.

My opinion is that if you're going to an X class suit...it won't really matter if you go for an X1,2,or 3, so you might as well get the latest, safest, best design you can (especially if you're buying new).
"When once you have tasted flight..."

FWIW my progression:
*numbers are purely Sky jumps.
birdman intro: 20 jumps
P2: 125 jumps
V3: 100 jumps
Aura: 15

Not sure if its the best progresion, im sure i could have added a tony suit in there between the v3 and the aura but the transition and learning curve was minimal. the Aura is really easy to fly.
IHYD

I found that the X1 was very easy to fly, X2 not as intuitive, colugo, similar to x1 but better performance, and Aura, easier to fly than all of them. Youll get an aura way faster than any of the other suits if you buy new as well if that matters to you.

My progression because people like to post that:

Classic 5 jumps
s1 20 jumps
s3 80 jumps
V2 20 jumps
s-fly expert 5 jumps
P2 30 jumps
V3 50 jumps
V4 2 jumps
Apaches 40 jumps
Colugo 10 jumps
Aura 2 jumps