MADPROPS

what would you do?

so I was saving money for a trip with the gf and things didn't work out. now I have a bit of money that I was thinking of using to skydive. then I thought why not a skydiving trip and so on and so forth. so that brings me to where I am now
this summer I'm taking a skydiving trip that I have been talking about for the past 3 years and I will not come back till I can fly a wing suit.

I have not picked the place yet as a lot of thought has to go into it seeing as I will be there for 3 or 4 months but i'm pretty sure I know the wingsuit I want (p3) I already have the time off work and the money so I was thinking of ordering my wingsuit soon so it would be ready to take with me as I know they have long lead times.

1: can you fly a P3 as a new wing suit pilot or should I also get a cheap old gti or intro to start with (or just rent a suit for a bit)

2: from all the people I have talked to and all the info I have got online the P2 (p3 now) is one sweet suit that does it all but maybe I missed something... did I ?

3: I know some ws are better for big people and some are better for small people i'm 6 foot 2 and 180 lbs and have been told thats great for the p2 (p3) but is that in the sweet spot for any other suits aswell?

I'm open to all adivce and if you have anything to add please do so.
live and let live

so I was saving money for a trip with the gf and things didn't work out. now I have a bit of money that I was thinking of using to skydive. then I thought why not a skydiving trip and so on and so forth. so that brings me to where I am now
this summer I'm taking a skydiving trip that I have been talking about for the past 3 years and I will not come back till I can fly a wing suit.

I have not picked the place yet as a lot of thought has to go into it seeing as I will be there for 3 or 4 months but i'm pretty sure I know the wingsuit I want (p3) I already have the time off work and the money so I was thinking of ordering my wingsuit soon so it would be ready to take with me as I know they have long lead times.

1: can you fly a P3 as a new wing suit pilot or should I also get a cheap old gti or intro to start with (or just rent a suit for a bit)

2: from all the people I have talked to and all the info I have got online the P2 (p3 now) is one sweet suit that does it all but maybe I missed something... did I ?

3: I know some ws are better for big people and some are better for small people i'm 6 foot 2 and 180 lbs and have been told thats great for the p2 (p3) but is that in the sweet spot for any other suits aswell?

Try before you buy. It is a big investment in both time and money....

There is not single suit that does everything but a P2\3 is certainly a good suit to have in your inventory.

My personal experience with my first suit is that I purchased it when I had very few wingsuit jumps, waited 4 months for it to arrive and within 20 jumps realized it wasn't what I needed. I wish I had tried more suits before ordering.

Edited to expand on my comments.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

Hey MadProps :)
To answer some of your questions:

1. Yes, absolutely. The Phantom 2 or now 3 is both an excellent beginner suit, but also one that you can fly for many, many more years to come. I'm fortunate in that I have pretty much every suit we make and the Phantom is the one that stays on my rig 90% of the time. I can coach in it, flock with it, make awesome performance solos, learn.. Absolutely everything.

2. Nope, as said - It's a really great all rounder!

3. Body vs suit size is a little bit of a myth. Your size in a Phantom will be great. Once you learn to fly it properly I bet you a steak dinner you'll be flying rings around those who bought bigger suits because they thought they needed to and haven't fully learned to fly them. Don't fall into the upsizing trap - A phantom will last you a very, very long time. If and when you ever want to look at a bigger suit, you can either keep your Phantom for say acro or flocking, or sell it easily - there's a big demand for them second hand.

The 'sweet spot' isn't really a wing loading type comment, it's more about finding the best way to fly a certain suit. All are slightly different to get the most optimal flight performance out of them - but this is something you learn after flying the suit a lot :)
Where are you looking to make your skydiving trip?

As to lead times - we're actually only running to 6 weeks at the moment, which we're also working on bringing down.

Tell you what, book your trip - start busting out your jumps and when you hit 150ish, email me and we'll try and sort your order so you have the suit for when you're ready. How about that?

The other option of course is depending on where you book your trip, many coaches have demo suits which are either free to use for coaching, or have a very minimal charge to cover wear and tear. Get your jumps up, then decide if you actually like WSing - then if you do, hollar and we can sort your order out.

I would strongly suggest heading over to Elsinore and seeking out Spot (DSE on here) as he'll be able to get you sorted and you'll be jumping a lot!

[email protected]

Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

... within 20 jumps realized it wasn't what I needed.

How did you determine it wasn't what you needed in only 20 jumps?

Didn't fit right, didn't feel right and didn't fly right. Just like my ex-wife.

Just like buying a car, test drive a few. Do a search, it has been said before.

If it didn't fit, why didn't you send it back to get it fixed?

To the OP, as WW says it's worth jumping a suit first. There's plenty of guys and girls out there there with demo suits you can jump for free to see if you like 'em.

Just ask around, you'll find plenty about :)

Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Didn't fit right, didn't feel right and didn't fly right.

As far as feeling right or flying right of a wingsuit ... I don't think anyone with 0 jumps can determine feeling or flying after just 20 jumps (especially since they have no other wingsuits to compare to).

I agree that you should try before you buy if you have the chance (try a Shadow/Phantom/T-Bird). However, I doubt you would be disappointed with a Phantom as a beginner, intermediate, or advanced wingsuit.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Butters:
If people followed some manufacturers recomendations they'd be on their 3rd suit (an advanced model no less) by the time they got to 25 jumps.

To the OP:
You are right to short list the Phantom as one of the best options for a first suit, but as already said it's a good choice for intermediate and experienced jumpers too so should last you a long time. Don't take my word for it, try one and see (try a Shadow too for a different feeling) and whatever else is available.

One of the reasons that Phantoms have such good resale value and are always in high demand is that many people don't sell them when they get other suits because they still like them so much.

Be wary of people trying to sell you bigger surface area suits, especially if they use terms like "more range".

As far as feeling right or flying right of a wingsuit ... I don't think anyone with 0 jumps can determine feeling or flying after just 20 jumps (especially since they have no other wingsuits to compare to).

I agree that you should try before you buy if you have the chance (try a Shadow/Phantom/T-Bird). However, I doubt you would be disappointed with a Phantom as a beginner, intermediate, or advanced wingsuit.

Where did you read that it was my FIRST 20 jumps? I said within 20 jumps on the suit didn't I?

Where did you read that it was my FIRST 20 jumps? I said within 20 jumps on the suit didn't I?

I didn't. I was making a general comment using the original post as context ...

I didn't. I was making a general comment using the original post as context ...

Whatever mate, if you were talking about the original post then why did you quote my most recent post. Busted!

Whatever mate, if you were talking about the original post then why did you quote my most recent post. Busted!

My comments were in regards to your post (ability to determine feel and flight after 20 jumps) but based on the context of the original post (starting with 0 jumps). I found it clear that I was referring to people in general and not you in particular ...

I don't think anyone with 0 jumps can determine feeling or flying after just 20 jumps.

This is what I am thinking of......attached.

Back to the original question, I still maintain that regardless of anything if you want to buy a new suit it is a good idea to test drive a few....there are lots of great suits for different people....why not have a little fun and try em!?!

First a Private Message from you ...

If that had been the case you wouldn't have included this part eh?
As far as feeling right or flying right of a wingsuit ...
I think you just like to attack me.

Then this ...

Relax, not everything is about you. You made a comment about fit, feel, and flight and I stated that no one with 0 jumps (the original poster) will be able to to determine feel or flight after only 20 jumps. If you still think it's about you then I'll assume no matter what I post you'll think it's about you ... :S

First a Private Message from you ...

If that had been the case you wouldn't have included this part eh?
As far as feeling right or flying right of a wingsuit ...
I think you just like to attack me.

Then this ...

Relax, not everything is about you. You made a comment about fit, feel, and flight and I stated that no one with 0 jumps (the original poster) will be able to to determine feel or flight after only 20 jumps. If you still think it's about you then I'll assume no matter what I post you'll think it's about you ... :S

agreed, so certainly someone with no jumps who can't even fly a wingsuit would be in a terrible position to decide which one to get. So bottom line is unless the person has time and money to hedge bets in multiple suits it is just best to relax, take a FFC and jump some suits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qegg5xuaEnQ&feature=plcp&context=C34ccdc9UDOEgsToPDskKmwujWOc1HNUk25vsnNp2a

This is a guy with 19 wingsuit jumps in a shadow (acro version of a phantom).
Ive got 1500 wingsuit jumps and the suit still suits all my needs for agressive acrobatics, fun solos or relaxed flocks. Regardless your focus, its a suit thats fun and a suit that lasts a whole wingsuit career. And if you do switch at some point, resale vallue is pretty solid or simply use it for friends starting out as a loaner.

Not much one can do wrong with a P2/3 in your gearbag. A lot of vallue for your money.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_threaded;post=3869347;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;

I agree 100% with the post in that link. Wingsuiting is like a canopy progression and who knows which part of the discipline you will enjoy. Also like canopy where there is swoop, S&A, CRW, etc...

It looks like way back in 2010 the advice was to try suits.

Borrow, beg, rent, demo....but don't buy a suit until you have tried a few. Or...if you want just buy one...your choice.

My advice: please ignore all the bickering in this thread. Both sides of the argument have a valid point, and there are also people on both sides with their own interests at heart (some more blatant than others). But the most important fact here is that your situation is a bit unique because of your extended trip coming up, and for a trip like that, it certainly would be nice to have a suit that (a) fits and (b) you can use as long as you want without paying rental fees, etc.

If you could try a bunch of suits in one week and then buy one of them the next week (custom sized and the way you want it) then that would obviously be the best choice. Since that's not possible, your plan sounds like a pretty good compromise. I doubt you'll ever regret buying a P2/3, but I also doubt it will be the only wingsuit you'll ever buy. Truth be told, you'll have enough basic skills to work on for your first 100 jumps that it won't really matter what suit you're flying as long as it's suitable for a beginner.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

agree 100% with the post in that link. Wingsuiting is like a canopy progression and who knows which part of the discipline you will enjoy

This guy has his eye set on a P3 and asks if thats a good idea.
The full post you link to applies to that. Picking a phantom wont dissapoint and last a whole ws career. Regardless of preferred sub-dicipline..acro, time, distance, flocking or base...

So in reply to the OP, yea...great choice..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Always try before you buy.

Additionally, you seem locked on to just one suit; you should try others (both other designs and other manufacturers) before deciding that a particular suit is the right one for you - you may be surprised what you'll find. This statement is true regardless of which brand and which model you are interested in.

Good luck.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork