monkycndo

Minimum jump number for rider of birdeo?

I know many have been attempted. Many people tend to go into "I remember when XXX did this and that" and turn it into a 'who invented what' thing.

But cold...hard...video.....dont think anybody has done anything else but TALK about who did it:P
But can guarantee people did it, or tried it....but video almost never matches the stories:D

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Have any reverse WS rodeos been attempted ?.......Jumpers face to face, wingsuiter backflying......obviously handles would be vulnerable.

I've seen two attempts. Neither worked well.

I have been on an attempted birdeo that didn't go quite as planned. Lots of spinning out of the plane. Personally, I would have been beyond terrified if that happened to me when I first started jumping. Forunately, I had complete confidence in the guy I was trying to ride. I also had confidence in myself to know when to give up trying to make it work and just let go. A newer jumper may not let go and just hold on for dear life out of fear and things could get much much worse. I agree that it's not just a matter of jump numbers but also talking to the person and seeing that their head is on straight. You have to beware of that "100 jump wonder" mentality and those who "don't know what they don't know." Especially when they're not willing to listen to others. I feel that is far more important than just flat jump number requirements.

I would love to try one again. Only maybe this time I'll do it in a regular jumpsuit and not a corset. :D

I have done two. Both successful. The First one went off without a hitch and was with my girlfriend. We actually were able to kiss. The second backfly rodeo at MOAB was also good. However I had a bad exit and went on my belly. The rider wrapped her legs around me and held on!!! I had to transition from my belly to my back with a rider. It worked. But honestly I was suprised to not find my self in a flatspin. :)
MOAB Backfly rodeo starts at 1:53 in the video. http://vimeo.com/7322197

Jumptown rodeo starts at 1:33 in the video http://vimeo.com/8123646

J

Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

Disagree.

When making minimum jump number type recommendations one must always remember most people will think they are ready as soon as they hit that minimum regardless of skill.

I agree that the rider should know how to handle the riding part, but can he land out safely? Or will he/she make a low turn into the burning alligator pit? The wingsuiter should be competent as well, but can he guarantee a good spot regardless of results? When taking a rider we assume some limited responsibility for the end result.

I therefore teach and require 200 skydives for the rider and 200 wingsuit jumps for the pilot, as well as a skill set checklist for both, resembling what was already discussed plus some serious experience landing off or at least an involved briefing for both.

It can be done safely much sooner, in the sense that a pre license jumper can safely do a 20 way with 19 certified instructors. But that's not the case out in the field. Set a minimum with the mad skillz crowd in mind. Standardize the briefing for pilot and rider. No need for actual BSRs, just get the info out.