mccordia

Phoenix-Fly: Wingsuit Jet Pilot

Hi all,

I just finished editing this video, with some of Visa's flights from last summer.

Enjoy!

Visa Parviainen is a Finish skydiver and adventurer.

He flies the 'Stealth2' a high performance wingsuit designed by Robert Pecnik of phoenix-fly.com.
The suit allows skydivers and B.A.S.E. jumpers to turn their fall into a glide.

With the aid of Dutch company AMT Jets, he constructed a pair of jet-boots that allowing him to fly his wingsuit without loss of altitude, and even climb at a rate of 1 meter per second.

Watch as Visa experiments during jumps from balloons and airplanes, and makes the dream of human flight real in most spectacular fashion!

phoenix-fly.com

editing:
Jarno Cordia
airrebels.com

Watch on Vimeo
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

yeah, where can I buy this ;)

One thing that actually got me thinking is that almost at the end of the clip you see him flying next to the plane at an almost 'upright' position... I wonder how far you can actually 'train' to balance on the engines, and get 'level' flight while in a stand-up position.

How much thrust do these engines generate?

According to their site, 50lbf of thrust on the larger engines, and cost for a setup is around 10K, so not all that expensive.

Baird (US manufacturer) wanted nothing to do with this conversation about a year back, but they are considerably less costly.

Kinda like IronMan, yeah?

According to their site, 50lbf of thrust on the larger engines, and cost for a setup is around 10K, so not all that expensive.

"392N / 88Lbf" for the Titan engine actually, which is the engine this guy is jumping with I think... 10K euro, "not all that expensive".. I guess all things are relative, I'm sure it's not expensive for this type of equipment, but I'm bailing. It certainly sounds/looks like a lot of fun, but 2x10K == 20K setup, spare parts etc, you're easily 25K EURO in..

I think I'll take some coaching and tunnel instead ;)

Baird (US manufacturer) wanted nothing to do with this conversation about a year back, but they are considerably less costly.

The highest rated on the Baird site is only 160N, or 33.6Lbf.. thus comparable with the Pegasus HP from AMT.. which costs only 4K.

Couldn't find a more powerfull engine on the baird site.

WoW this jet stuff is really working.B|

Has any-one other than that finnish guy flown one of these ?

Perhaps if the test-pilot was a long and skinny lightweight we'd see a big increase in the performance levels.

What a pity we'd all have to be millionairs to have a go.:(

20.000 is nowhere close to million. You just have to decide what you need most: A jet-wingsuit or a new car :P

Please understand that the 20k (or something) might be just the cost for a pair of turbines. We're not talking about out of the shelf box product that you can just buy and start flying. Visa has spent countless amounts of time and money to work on his project. To improve the reliability of his setup and make it as safe as possible to use. It's not like he just strapped pair of turbines to his feet and gave it a go. :) The result you can see on the video is the result of years of R&D on the ground and in the air. So be prepared to fork over some serious amounts of cash and time before you can plan to achieve what he has achieved.

And for the other poster, I know another finnish guy who has made (at least) one flight on the same system but nothing as thorough as Visa has done.
http://www.ufufreefly.com