mccordia

FTL2 - Taking it slow

Hi everyone,

Slowly we (Boris, Macca and myself) are upgrading the new PF website more and more.
Just yesterday we slightly updated the videosection and also added a new HD video treat, a short video called Taking it slow.
Its a short film, edited for the FlyTheLine2 bonus features.
With some breathtaking footage from the FTL2 DVD, rendered in beautfull 100 frames per second images, to a groovy music-track.

Check it out here

Other planned website updates include rigging (old en newer suits) tutorials, improved articles section and much more..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Well done Jarno,.... Rob signed the original DVD for my son Matt and I know he likes what you did with this edit. Like Matt Hoover said, it would be hard to resist doing this if the terrain were nearby,... but unlike Matt,... I would have to shed about 1/4 of my body weight to even think about it ,....and I would STILL think long about it. Thanks to Rob and James for letting those of us who can't or wouldn't be there,.... 'feel' just a little bit of what they felt. The song was well matched to the "feeling" Thanks Jarno
Life is what happens while we are making other plans.

Please excuse my ignorance about base jumping, but it looked like there was no deployment bag. Is that normal? How is it done so that it is an orderly deployment?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Please excuse my ignorance about base jumping, but it looked like there was no deployment bag. Is that normal? How is it done so that it is an orderly deployment?

I don't wanna be a dick or something, but the whole "experienced" thing going on DZ.com all the time makes me laugh..

1200 jumps, 30 years in the sport and no idea how BASE gear works at all?

Taken from a simple strole through the net (use the search function bla bla!):

"Deployment bags prone to off headings and how would YOU like bag lock at 200 ft?"

"What you don't see very often in freefall BASE deployment systems are deployment bags. There is a variety of reasons for this, but of primary importance is the need for an on-heading opening. Free-packing seems to give consistently better results than deployment bags."

Note that BASE canopies are packed like skydiving reserves as well.. Faster, cleaner opening with a much smaller chance of off heading and no chance of bag lock.
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

A BASE canopy is almost always free-packed into the container with the lines s-folded into a velcro pocket on the tail of the canopy. The canopy is folded pretty similar to a skydiving reserve, and then s-folded into the container. It works pretty well.

I don't wanna be a dick or something, but the whole "experienced" thing going on DZ.com all the time makes me laugh..

Why? You're posting more in skydiving and base forums than you have real experience?
Its different sports, so why would a skydiver need knowledge of base gear?

You're not trying to be a dick..you are being one..
You dont always have to post every brainfart you have to a forum. That advice coming from me as advice is a big thing..

Play nice man..we are a community, not a bunch of cut-throat pirates (or people just reading and writing about them).

That said...glad everyone enjoys the editing.
James and Robert (and I think also Jean-Noel) shot some beautifull footage...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I don't wanna be a dick or something,

It's a bit late for that.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

A BASE canopy is almost always free-packed into the container with the lines s-folded into a velcro pocket on the tail of the canopy. The canopy is folded pretty similar to a skydiving reserve, and then s-folded into the container. It works pretty well.

I am surprised that when doing base at terminal speeds (I would think long delay wingsuit has a comparable to terminal overall airspeed) that it would be free-packed with no line stows. I understand the desire to avoid stows hanging up, but free packed and no stows would normally scare the bejeezus out of me. I know you base guys have it figured out obviously, and I've seen that done in the 80's at terminal, I'm just saying that isn't intuitively a good idea, and so it is interesting for me. I like to talk about things that are interesting, and so that is why I ask. Also, I'm about to get a wingsuit, might go to Europe within the next few years, you know the rest...:)
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I am surprised that when doing base at terminal speeds (I would think long delay wingsuit has a comparable to terminal overall airspeed) that it would be free-packed with no line stows. I understand the desire to avoid stows hanging up, but free packed and no stows would normally scare the bejeezus out of me. I know you base guys have it figured out obviously, and I've seen that done in the 80's at terminal, I'm just saying that isn't intuitively a good idea, and so it is interesting for me. I like to talk about things that are interesting, and so that is why I ask. Also, I'm about to get a wingsuit, might go to Europe within the next few years, you know the rest...:)

There is one primary line stow on the trailing edge of the canopy, some people also put a bight of slider through a bungee at the top of a c-line to make absolutely sure it stays in place until line stretch. No reason the lines shouldn't pay out in order from a well maintained tail pocket as well. At the end of the day, there are enough terminal base jumps made each year to show that it works pretty well - and when it comes to base gear simplicity gives me a warm fuzzy feeling:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

OK, so tail pockets/some limited number of stows on the canopy serve the function of keeping the lines behaved, but nothing keeps the canopy from inflating early as it lifts off?

Thanks for the education.