flyboy6554

reserve age

A question for riggers or anyone with knowledge on this subject. Is there any age limitation for a reserve?? I have a reserve manufactured in 1989 that has never been used, but repacked every 120 days since then. I know PD has some stipulations on having older reserves inspected for porosity after so many repacks or openings, but don't know if this applies to all reserves.
Thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks

There are no limitations on the life of a reserve. You're right, PD requires that the reserve be sent back to them every 25 jumps or 40 repacks, whichever comes first.

Generally, once a reserve has reached 20-25 years, most riggers will no longer pack them. It starts to come down to better judgement.

Parachutes Australia has defined a 20 year life for several of their systems.
Strong Enterprises insists on an 18-year life for their tandem gear, etc.
Another angle on the whole age question is reviewing what was considered fashionable skydiving gear 20 years ago.
Vector I and Racer were the hottest-selling containers. Most people still jumped round reserves. Five-cell Swifts were the hottest ram-air reserves and the first Ravens had just been introduced.
As far as AADs were concerned, you could chose between an FXC 12000 or a Sentinel.
The bottom line is that most of the gear that was considered fashionable 20-years ago has fallen out of fashion.

I own a Swift Plus.... It's 7-cell f111. Manufactured in '93. Looks brand new.

All new reserves are still 7-cell f111. Why buy another 7-cell f111 reserve?,
unless there is damage/wear to the reserve.

maybe if they started making 9 cell zero-P reseves
I'd change it out. From what riggers have told me, this will probably never happen.

scott

Only one model of 9-cell reserve has been marketed - Precision Aerodynamics' Falcon - and it did not sell very well. Perhaps because it packed slightly bulkier than a similar-sized (7-cell) Raven from the same company.
On the other hand, Precision introduced the Raven -MZ - with Zero porosity top skin a few years back and has only sold a few of them. Again Raven-MZ reserves pack a bit more bulky and riggers need more precise technique to pack them neatly.

I would be interested to know from anyone who has flown the swift plus what they think of it? how does it compare to a PD reserve ?.

I'd prefer a response from someone who has actually flown these canopies!

About packing volume?
I've looked in the back of the ParaGear catalog and the packing volume of the Swift Plus is smaller than a similar sized PD reserve. I was told by my rigger that if I upgraded, my cypres may not fit in my rig.

scott

I have jumped both Swift Plus canopies. What size do you have? The Swift 175 is about the same pack volume as a Dash-M 218 and almost 40 sq. ft. smaller. It is about 40 sq. ft. more volume than a Tempo 170. The Swift 225 with spectra lines is about the same pack volume as a Raven III with dacron lines. It is 50 sq. in. more volume than a Tempo 210 with I feel flies and lands much better. But they are all good reserves and without a major FU should get you down alive.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

My 2 square reserve rides have been on the 200 & 225 sq. ft. versions of the Swift Plus.

Both were low speed openings, quick and on heading, with really good flare and easy stand-ups.

The link below from Sid's Rigging shows that the PD reserves are somewhat smaller packing when compared with the same type of lines and measurement method. Of course these numbers are not too reliable, but at least the line type and measurement method are shown. What conclusion to make from these numbers? I don't know, maybe the extra volume is due to taller cells (if the cells are taller, you would have more fabric for same wing area), maybe you can conclude that there is at least as much reinforcement tape on the Swift Plus relative to the PD? It is all speculation, but what fun is this forum if we can't speculate?

http://www.noexcusesrigging.com/TechInfo/VolumeChartReserve.htm
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I have 2 reserve rides under the old style 5 cell swift reserve (and 5 jumps using one as a main..just for fun) It did everything I needed it to...opened fast and reliably, steered & landed me standing up.
I also have 5 rides under PD 143 reserves...they did all that the Swift did, plus, let me fly around a bit more (lower descent rate- may be important on a bad spot) and landed me super tip toe soft....
My 3 personal rigs all house PD reserves..but I would not hesitate to jump just about any other ram air reserve out there.

I guess the way I see it, I want my reserve to open
reasonably fast, stay inflated and have a half way decent flare. I really don't care about performance at this point. I hope I don't jinx myself by saying I'm curious to see how it performs!:P

Scott,

I have an intentional cutaway on a SWIFT reserve in about 1984. It landed fine. I recently bought a PD126 for myself but haven't used it. I'm sure it will perform very nicely if the time comes.

For resale purposes, I'd suggest the PD.

I also think the Aerodyne SMART reserves should be considered...good price and I think they have put together a good product...spanwise reinforcement, reinforcing tapes in the tail.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I've looked in the back of the ParaGear catalog and the packing volume of the Swift Plus is smaller than a similar sized PD reserve.

Scott,
Look in the front of the latest Para Gear catalog and you will find a new, never used Swift Plus 225 for $595 reduced from $1375. Gosh, I wonder why?

Look in the front of the latest Para Gear catalog and you will find a new, never used Swift Plus 225 for $595 reduced from $1375.

That's right, I took advantage of that deal to replace my 200 sq.ft. version when they had 5 left. Para-Flite stopped making sport canopies a while back (now just military). The fact that they are offering a big discount on old inventory (3 years old) should not indicate it is a bad canopy.

Cliff
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Have you ever wondered why they stopped making sports canopies and now make a 370 based on the 7808 Lissaman airfoil which is almost 30 years old? There are many improved designs available to choose from. The purchase of a reserve is not the best place to save a few bucks in my opinion. But everyone has to make their own choices based on their priorities.

Scott,
I am not say that you have a bad reserve, I am saying there are fare better reserves available on the market today. Para Flite dropped out of the sports market, and this is just my opinion, because their canopy designs could not compete in the sports market place. The ram air canopies, gliding parachute, they make for the military for the mission they are designed for. I have jumped them on several occasions with load up to 105 lbs. You might want to start a poll to be sure but I think you will find there are very few Swift canopies still in service. If you are jumping a 145 Swift and the loading if much over 1.1/1 please be very careful if you have to use it.
Pull Safe,
Sparky