atsaubrey

mt-1xx help again

Sec. 91.307

Parachutes and parachuting.

(a) No pilot of a civil aircraft may allow a parachute that is available for emergency use to be carried in that aircraft unless it is an approved type

< some stuff snipped out >

(e) For the purposes of this section, approved parachute means--
(1) A parachute manufactured under a type certificate or a technical standard order (C-23 series); or
(2) A personnel-carrying military parachute identified by an NAF, AAF, or AN drawing number, an AAF order number, or any other military designation or specification number.

You are bumping up against FAR 105.43, para D, Section 2. WHich states in its entirety:

D. For the purpose of this section, an "approved" parachute is:

1. A parachute manufactured under a type certificate or a technical standard order (C-23 series); or

2. A personnel-carrying military parachute (other than a high altitude, high-speed, or ejection kind) identified by an NAF, AAF, or AN drawing number, an AAF order number, or any other military designation or specification number.

We have several guys at our DZ jumping an MT, MC series HALO rig with no problems. In your case, somewhere on that rig is a military specification. Your rig complies with the FAR.

You shouldn't be having this much trouble. If it were me, I would ask the DZ to formalize any and all objections to your jumping this rig in one document instead of a weekly reason. Get those reasons in writing, then contact HALO committee and address each one with one of the NCO's... then send him beer. Perhaps skymonkeyone can help.

Let the Anvil Jump!! Let the Anvil Jump!!

the canopies have all the military labels, and the rig has a label on one of the risers if i remember right. i dont think they are "trying" to keep me from jumping, they just want to make sure everything is 100% legal. are the labels im describing what i need and is that sufficient?
"GOT LEAD?"

Who is giving you the problem? There was a whold herd of Air Force types at Elsinore today. They were jumping MC-4 rigs which are the updated MT1's. Nobody said a word. Try looking inside one of the end cells.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Dude, i can't believe the heart ache you are having to go through. My suggestion is to find the NSN(National Stock Number) on the main, IE: packing label or other associated Alphanumeric designation that should be stamped on the main. The container will have a data sheet tacked onto it either in the right or left riser flap cover. Other info that may help you can be anything on the data sheet(s) that references a contract number or lot # as this would be how the military inventory system would track and identify the parts and or components. An example HERE and HERE

I am in Deland running the BMI course with SM1 right now but when I get back next week I will see what I can do for you. PM exactly what they are wanting and I will go to my rigger shed and get you every SPEC that the rig has if possible.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

atsaubrey,
Tell your civilian DZO to pull his civilian head out of his civilian a** and realize that more than one ceritification standard is recognized by the United States Federal Aviation Administration.
Last time I read the FARs, most US military HALO, HAHO and static-line gear could be legally jumped from FAA-registered civilian airplanes.

It is amazing how fear of California tort lawyers has distorted how people read federal regulations!

Good point about asking your DZO to put his objections in writing.

Rob Warner
grump old FAA Master Rigger

My suggestion is to find the NSN(National Stock Number) on the main, IE: packing label or other associated Alphanumeric designation that should be stamped on the main.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Teehee!
Only in America.
Everyone else calls them NATO Stock Numbers.

I am pretty assed up that you are still getting the run-around about that gear. If Jay Stokes is still around, then you need to get him to un-fuck those people for you. All of the "legality" questions have already been answered in your previous thread.

Chuck
MFFJM (among other things)

Chuck,
It seems that with some people if they don't know or don't understand it can't be legal.
You feel like some low crawl practice this weekend, we can fix this quick.:P
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals