MarkBolton

Aerodyne Superband Users?

After a baglock malfunction a year ago, I prefer a rubber band that will break, if it needs to.
Plus the really small, strong rubber bands are harder to deal with when packing. I like to use the bigger rubber bands that I can get three wraps on my lines. They hold really well and are easier on your fingers.

How do ya like it Johnny?

Its been related to me that it can be the cause of a baglock... I am nothing close to an authority on this mind so Im not really the one to ask. I've tried a bit of a search on hear but its a big topic to look into.

I think its safe enough, afterall this sports all about risk management not risk elimination. (hell I use tubestows which a lot of people recomend against).

I really like superbands. They last at least as long as tube stoes in my experience and plus I got a LOT of them for free some time ago. I have never had a baglock in 22 years of jumping and regularly mix tube stoes, regular rubber bands, and lately, these superbands. I replace broken bands with whatever I get my hands on first. As to the baglock issue: I want to hear from any person on this forum who has actually experienced one caused by the use of this product. No urban legends or "friend of a friend" info please.

Chuck

I've had a baglock. It wasn't caused by anything other than not packing carefully enough. A line from one line stow group wrapped around another group of lines, so when that group un-stowed it cinched the other group so they couldn't. I do beleive that a normal rubber band would have broken, and the main would probably have deployed normally. After that I quit using the strong rubber bands, and I found that the bigger rubber bands were easier to pack with. Easier on the fingers. I just wrap the lines 3 times to make sure that they are held tight. That has worked really good for me.

How do ya like it Johnny?

I had a baglock when I used to use Superbandz. The stow was single-wrapped, short, and neat. Luckily, I was able to break it by yanking the risers while the bag was spinning over my head. I had to clear a bunch of line twists, but otherwise everything went well.

Jason

I had a baglock when I used to use Superbandz. The stow was single-wrapped, short, and neat. Luckily, I was able to break it by yanking the risers while the bag was spinning over my head. I had to clear a bunch of line twists, but otherwise everything went well.

Jason

Terminal or sub-terminal, Jason? If sub-terminal, riser covers open or closed?

I have used them and I like them. I use and like small rubber bands too. A friend of mine had a bag lock using Super Bandz (I was there and know this from first-hand experience - not urban legend) but he had double wrapped the locking stows, so that's what we attributed the bag lock to.

:)to many wraps. But occasionally some jumper will experience a bag-lock even with a properly packed d-bag, good line-stows and the correct rubberbands.

It helps to look at the entire deployment process and the components involved, especially the pilot chute. A p/c that is old and worn or simply too small
for the size canopy and its weight, may not be able to produce the snatch force required to overcome the tension of a rubberband. A shrunken kill-line
can dramatically affect the efficiency ( the drag it develops ) of a p/c . This also holds true for p/c's
that use shock cord ( bungee ), that is improperly calibrated, ie. the p/c cannot inflate completely due to excessive tension.
By using the incorrect rubberband and stowing technique, pilot chute related issues can easily aggravate the deployment process.
Just another two cents in the bucket.

Terminal or sub-terminal, Jason? If sub-terminal, riser covers open or closed?

It's been a while since you asked, but in case it helps anybody: Sub-terminal from a Cessna 182 from 2200 ft.. Riser covers closed. It probably wouldn't have been a problem if I would have been using a 10 ft. bridle like I use now.

Jason

I've had a baglock. It wasn't caused by anything other than not packing carefully enough. A line from one line stow group wrapped around another group of lines, so when that group un-stowed it cinched the other group so they couldn't. I do beleive that a normal rubber band would have broken, and the main would probably have deployed normally.

I do not believe your parachute would have deployed normally even if the normal rubber band broke. Those two line stows would have jerked the crap out of your bag, twisting it.
One thing I'm trying to figure out is if Skybands and superbands are the same thing?
I have seen 3 bag locks in the last year, all with skybands, but all exactly because of sloppy packing as well.
Personally, I do want rubber bands to break. However, it is your personal choice. I'm pretty sure that the manufacturers of skybands have an add in Parachutist... not sure about superbands, first I ever heard of em, but I've sure seen some thick rubber bands on some aerodyn bags.

Superbands are from aerodyne
Skybands are from west coast (?) through square 1(?)

I used superbands and hated them. Way too stiff for me (harder to pack).

I have used skybands, and love em. They are very durable (low frequency of replacement), stretch as much as regular bands, but do have the 'they dont break as easy' "worry".

I believe that the guy who made the skybands isn't making/selling them anymore (??). Or he couldn't reproduce the original rubber formula accurately enough. I sure hope they come back before I need to buy more bands (I have had 2 bags of small bands for about 2 years.. I have about a bag left. That is how long they last).

The skybands are a tiny bit more 'slippery' when they are first put on. I had a problem with line dump on my Nitron (with the very tiny, very slippery HMA lines), so I double stow the non-locking stows, with very small bites (to prevent baglock complications). No more problems.

Hope that helps.
j

Skybands are from west coast (?) through square 1(?)

While we sold them, we did not manufacture them. Ralph Ponce is the man who came up with them.

Worked great for me and a damn' sight less expensive than the superbands were.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Ever since I saw this thread I've been trying to get to the bottom of this Superband issue. I wanted to bust out with some techno babble that would make you guys think I'm smart. But alas, no dice.
I can't find any specifics on these little nearly unbreakable bastards. Only marketing information, which states that they take the best of rubber bands and tube stoes for your packing satisfaction or some stuff like that. I know when I worked for PD they tested them and didn't see any reason to recommend them as better, however they didn’t say they were bad, however remember PD sells rubber bands. And why would you endorse a competitor’s product.
I went and looked at the boxes they came in, the are constructed of the same stuff as tube stoes, the same mix as surgical tubing only they are flat and about the size of small rubber bands.
As for selling them, we apparently still sell them; you can buy them through a distributor or directly from us for $5 for 10. Which I believe is a little steep. I'll work on getting that price down, or at least getting you more than 10 for the $5, considering we have about 4 million in our rigging loft gathering dust. I'll also have to see about getting them on our website under accessories.
Both the Bushman and myself still use the small rubber bands that PD recommends, I like that they break, instead of just loosening up over time.
On the sales side, I guess when the Aerodyne International Group was formed and the company Aerodyne Research was formed the Superbands were swept under the rug, and when the old website was taken down they didn’t just stop selling the Diablo. I wish I had a better answer for these bands but I don’t.

Aubrey Easterlin
Sales Manager
Aerodyne
"Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it"

I have been using Superbanz form Aerodyne for a little over a year now. I got them from the old website, before it was changed. I still have the original set that I put on my bag (so still have extras if I ever need them). I do not use them for my locking stows but do use them for all other stows and have not had any problems.

Just get a box of brown mil spec rubber bands and treat them with a food grade industrial lubricant(obtained at most ACE Hardware stores). I use the small size except if the locking stowes are very time, then I use the larger ones the. Spray it on and rub it in. Dries in a few minuites. Seems to give the bands more elscticity, they sure last longer, no need to double wrap and the lines are held firmly enough for an ordely deployment. Even works on Technora lines.

I have found that bags with the last locking stowe centered in the D-bag are less prone to spinning and bags that have the stowes centerd on the top are nice as well. Keep the bites even for a balance mass distribution and it will help reduce spin.
alan

a food grade industrial lubricant(obtained at most ACE Hardware stores).

Too late to edit I guess............
Should have said "silicone" lubricant, Food grade silicone lubricant. The industrial variant, I believe has a higher silicone content.

Treat rubber bands with it, for much longer life and better pliability.

Treat your main closing loop with it, especially if you use a Spectra loop, for longer life and smooth extraction. (Cypres loop is treated with silicone gel.)

Clean/lubricate your cables with it as it attracts less dirt than oil or WD-40.

A light coating on suspension lines will reduce wear on them.

Treat the kill-line in your collapsible pc with it, for longer life and less shrinkage.
alan