BenediktDE

Who feeds Jarno?

We need volunteers that are willing to feed Jarno today. I am sure he will not be able to lift a spoon after the 'over 5 Minutes flight' I heard about today.

Jarno: When you are able to type again - details! Video! Beer!
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

25.000 ft (7620 m)...

After this altitude Jarno needs only the liquid (oxygen) and warm pony ;)

Actually, it was only 22k feet. (6705 m - I was on the load).

And I'm sure they'll correct me if I'm wrong, but Grey Mike actually got a few seconds more than Jarno...to the tune of 05:30, IIRC.

(Of course, according to the Neptune readings, they had 9-second and 11-second freefalls, respectively.) :D

But the video shows it all. 5+ (boring) minutes of the ground approaching VERY slowly. I'm sure Jarno will post it when he has time.

(Regardless, I agree - I'm pretty certain it was the pony doing the flying.) ;)
Signatures are the new black.

Please GPS-track in studio!

Otherwise "all hat and no cattle"!

P.S. If you go at exit for any seconds headdown and after then to normal wingsuit-fly, Neptune fix only headdown-time for freefall and the time below for canopy flight. B|

Please GPS-track in studio!

Otherwise "all hat and no cattle"!

P.S. If you go at exit for any seconds headdown and after then to normal wingsuit-fly, Neptune fix only headdown-time for freefall and the time below for canopy flight. B|

Jarno said Gray Mike had a GPS so with some luck we'll be able to see it. And I'm sure that Jarno will post his Alti-Track graphs when he gets back home.

Cheers
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

(Or - apparently - if you exit normally, then slow the fall rate drastically by maxing out your Stealth2...?) ;)
Signatures are the new black.

Grey Mike and I (sorta) flew together (me chasing him) and had great fun on that one.
Im usually bad flying solo (time or performance) but when looking at another flyer/object etc I seem to do better.

From exit I pushed it hard, and managed to get about a 1000 ft of altitude on Mike up to roughly 9000 ft or so.
Then my arms gave out, and I was a mess, I just couldnt hold it anymore, but Mike (being the awesome sporting man he is) kept steadily flying and slowly but surely climbed up, up, up...the endurance on what he did was awesome!

He came down with a 5:28/5:30 seconds flight, I only did 5:18 (which is a freaky thing, as its the same time for my personal best in freediving breathhold).

Would love to try this one again sometime, and hit the gym a while before that so my endurance/strength is a bit better.

Mike was flying a normal Stealth as he still has the best times on that suit, I was flying a Stealth2 proto.

Judging the performance Im getting out of the suit distance wise at breakoff on normal jumps compared to the rest (down to 15 mph fallrates on every single jump) and hearing mike notice the same difference (esp. with regards to distance flown) after some 12k test-jumps with the Stealth2 lateron, I have no doubt in my mind that Mike would have came close or over 6 minutes had he been flying the Stealth2 in his own size.

Especially if you take into account the suit was too small for Mike, and the Stealth 2 is so noticably lighter on arm pressure and easy on the pull.

But I think we can set a date for next year Mike!
Im game!

I have video, altitrack/gps data from mike and myself, so Ill make something long and boring for the GPS nerds:P

The rest of the day I had a hard time lifting my hands, but got a ton of jumps in afterward anyway. The boogie rocked! Awesome people!

I will have a Stealth2 with me in Empuria Brava for people to try.
An official announcement/pictures etc will be out soon.
But you can already spot the suit in some of the pix posted earlyer..

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

(Of course, according to the Neptune readings, they had 9-second and 11-second freefalls, respectively.)

Thats Mikes reading on his Neptune. I dont use that one.
My altitrack (buy one!B|:P;)!) recorded the whole dive start to end.

Mike luckely also had a Wintec GPS, next to his GoProHero SD card video camera, and my CX105 sony camera. So several sources validating what we did. And if Mike mails/uploads me his clip and GPS data, I will combine them into something nerdy.

And again, I think with a different suit (stealth2), that actually fit him he could have done much, much more.
That man is a machine!

6 minute club here we come.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

p.s.

My laptop died, so I wont be online that much the coming days untill its revived when Im back home.
I have about 20 PMs to answer, so give me a few days to get that stuff sorted and answered!

Jarno not online for a few days...most people worried..but the rumours about my death where a bit exeterated:P;)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

(Of course, according to the Neptune readings, they had 9-second and 11-second freefalls, respectively.)

Thats Mikes reading on his Neptune. I dont use that one.
My altitrack (buy one!B|:P;)!) recorded the whole dive start to end.

I fooled my Altitrack when I maxed out a Tonysuits XS.

If only I could afford my own XS!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Fooling the altitrack is just a matter of to rapid deceleration.
Ive got many tracks on 10 to 15 mph (slow but steady decelerated) flares/breakoffs on the Stealth2, without a single interupted recording.

Macca, even though Im not dead, dont cancel the party ;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

He came down with a 5:28/5:30 seconds flight, I only did 5:18 (which is a freaky thing, as its the same time for my personal best in freediving breathhold).

Hmmm I'm thinking you should try combining the two; see how long you can hold your breath while doing a wingsuit jump. :P
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Fun times Jarno - thank for sharing the experience! :)
Jarno pretty much covered it. Though we never discussed this beforehand, we did have different approaches to the flight, I relaxed the first half letting the suit do the work, then pushed it more the second half. The winds aloft did not match the forecast very well, and at the lower altitudes there was a strong headwind as we flew south and that made for slow ground speed and more motivation to push it to make it home. :o

The temps at altitude were -28C. I didn't wear gloves because I just don't like them so my fingers nearly got frostbite. I flipped my hands back on top of the wings hoping to keep them out of the wind. They tingled for about a half hour after I got on the ground. That said, the colder denser air probably helped our times.

My Neptune showed 9 seconds. Sadly, after downloading the data, only about half of it is there. This is a recurring problem I've had with it for a while. >:([:/]

The last altitude I saw on the plane's altimeter was 22.2k ft which pretty well matched what I saw on my analog altimeter. (Field elevation is 85 ft.) I downloaded the GPS but haven't looked at the data but did plot out the Google Earth ground track. I'll post all the data I have in the "Longest Flight" thread.

I had my camera mounted backwards thinking there would be shots of Jarno on it but the lens angle is so wide that all you see is blue sky and the sun. It is the most boring video ever but maybe I'll post it.

I had only jumped that Stealth a few times before but it is very intuitive and easy to fly. It was a little short on me so I couldn't really pin it out, but the arms fit well which reduced arm fatigue and made the pull easy.

Actually, afterwards my arms didn't feel bad at all which is certainly much more of a testament to the design of the suit than my physical ability.

If Jarno's arms were worn out after that jump, it sure didn't show, he kept up a fast pace organizing all day long. If he was whining, I think he was just trolling for sympathy and a back rub. :D

(Really, I don't know how he made the jump at all since he was reportedly partying with Scotty long after everyone else passed out.) :P

I did jump the Stealth 2 proto which fit well and performed even better than the Stealth. I felt that the better performance was probably due more to design/function than fit. With just a 10% improvement in either personal or suit performance, 6 minutes is doable.

Can't wait to go on a 6+ minute flight with you Jarno - you got a date! B|

Doing a rough Google Earth measurement - looks like roughly 7.5 miles.

At the lower altitudes there was a strong southerly wind which kind of killed our forward ground speed. Up top though we had a slight tailwind.

I imagine beverages will be served on these flights as soon as they beging installing cup holders in the wingsuits. :)

Wasn't it a jeans with a LD :P

2. question: whats a about a little power booster @jarno 2-3g crack or (meth-)amfetamin, before the flight?

You loose weight and gain power....even if you smoke this shit, with that pure O2 out of your oxygen bottle.

......but seriously, my grats

i've heard, they jumped from so high, they actually had to hook two bail-out bottles up in order to survive. and they shared one pony to keep themselves warm.. :P:D

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda