Butters

Outside Exits on a PAC750XL

We have a PAC at JSC and on big ways we regularly have 3 outside. The most difficult part of exiting on a pac is the size of the door. So the best idea is to go and practise.

The trick in climbing out, for me, is to use the outside step. Ex for the front which is much higher, I place my leg on the step, the one you almost cannot see and then push myself up till I can reach the top bar, or hop and catch it. The rear exit is easier but the same technique.

Once you are outside keep closed or you'll blow off. On exit keep small until you are low enough or you'll hit the tail as I am sure a number of people can tell you that on this forum.

Also stand on one knee if you can, it will give you extra leverage.

On exit keep small until you are low enough or you'll hit the tail as I am sure a number of people can tell you that on this forum.

This is my concern. With the limited number of wingsuiters we don't need to do outside exits but it would be nice to do outside exits on occasion (at least front float).
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Just do a sitting student exit on solo jumps first, you're already a meter lower from the start that way..

I'm unfamiliar with a sitting student exit (I was never a "student"). Can you please explain?

PS: I always do inside exits on solo jumps so that the pilot knows when I've left.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

On planes with a low tail (Cessnas) I often prefer having students do a sitting exit. This way they cant jump 'up' on exit, and also tend to be less prone to nose-dive due to putting too much force into their exit standing up. Though often students tend to shy away from this exit, and say they are more comfortable standing up, its pretty easy to do.

http://www.flylikebrick.com/minishowcase/galleries/78_2007_fjc_flevo/jarno_fjc_02.jpg

You sit down in the door, legs out/under the plane.
Sit on one buttock, other-one outside the plane.
Your lower body will be a bit twisted, but keep your upper body straight and just face the prop.

Then give a slight push, just straightening your lower body, sliding off your butt is usually enough. (Its identical to staticline exits taught from most smaller cessna's without a step to stand on).

Your body position should be a bit of a lazy delta.
Legs on your but, slighly wide. But bent at the knees, upward.
Arms also slightly spread/behind you. Dont cross em in front of you, as some people do. This means they get a sudden 'hit' from the relative wind when you open up. Arch, keep the wings behind you. Then slowly easy into your normal flying position.

Even if you twist a bit on exit, just keep looking at/inside the plane, and you will keep your heading perfectly (or come back on heading if you had a bit of a twist). Due take a bit of extra care with your hackey handle, and preferably check for that one before climbing out.

Its not something new, its how most student exits are taught here on staticline courses, and aside from sitting down, its the same exit you'd do standing up. Just starting out a bit lower, so less scary tail-thingies to happen if the thing is a bit to close for comfort.

You can do 2 way exits this way, and even a 3d/4th person scooting out behind you is do-able.

Its a bit of a gay exit, but thats why we like it:P

Some examples can be found here
http://www.flylikebrick.com/playmovie.php?id=13
http://www.flylikebrick.com/playmovie.php?id=25

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Its no big deal just stay collapsed until you see the tail - don't jump up!

Should be the same exit you do out of an otter or caravan

You can hit the tail of a PAC --- you can also hit the tail of an Otter

And be geared up completely when you get in the plane it is fast and it is cramped for space!

I would want to know what are your emergency exit procedures if you have to get out low?
leg wing still on?
Arm wing still on?

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid