kitof1976

Written exam for rigger's certificate

I took the below paragraph from Derek's post of "So you want to be a rigger?"

The written test consists of 50 multiple-choice questions. 2.0 hours are allotted to complete the test. There are no prerequisites to taking the written, you just have to pass it prior to taking the oral/practical test.

I have a question regarding prerequisites to taking the written test.
I was under the impression from reading the parachute manual that before one can take the written test they must show proof that they packed 20 parachutes and must have a letter from a rigger stating that.
Can anyone answer that ?
Basically can someone take the test if they have not done any rigging before provided that they studied for the test?
I am thinking about taking the test but I have not packed a single reserve yet...

"We see the world just the way we are...

Not sure I understand what you mean...
So does that mean you can or can not take the test without packing 20 reserves first?

According to your links it says it requires a "Signed letter of acceptance from the Federal Aviation Administration National Examiner Board".

What's the letter of acceptance? The rigger's letter stating one packed 20 reserve?

"We see the world just the way we are...

Not sure I understand what you mean...
So does that mean you can or can not take the test without packing 20 reserves first?

According to your links it says it requires a "Signed letter of acceptance from the Federal Aviation Administration National Examiner Board".

What's the letter of acceptance? The rigger's letter stating one packed 20 reserve?

Sorry for being vague, the info in those links says that you need to bring the test application (8610-2) you get from the FSDO after showing them your logbook and letter.

That's what the testing center says, what all my rigging books say, and how I did it. I asked the same thing in the other thread, Derek says that this isn't the case, I didn't bother to argue because I've finished mine and it doesn't affect me anymore.

And the "Signed letter of acceptance from the Federal Aviation Administration National Examiner Board" was for the PRE (Parachute Rigger Examiner) test, look a little further down.

--
Hook high, flare on time

You sure? When I got mine 20 years ago you had to have an endorsement by a rigger that you had been instructed in the various aspects of rigging. My teacher wrote in my log book, "Mr. Urban has been given instruction on the FAR's, Packing, Maintainence, Construction, and Materials pertaining to the duties of a Senior Parachute Rigger and has demonstrated the knowledge and ability to perform the work associated with parachute rigging. I consider him qualified to take the written exam for parachute rigging. (signature)" Then I took the written, at that time at the FIDO. Later, he wrote a statement that I had packed the log parachute under his supervision etc. etc. Then took the practical.

Things may have changed with but I don't think you need the pack jobs, but you do need an endorsement in your log. I haven't went and read the latest FAR or forms so this is just my twenty year old experience.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

You sure?

Things may have changed with but I don't think you need the pack jobs, but you do need an endorsement in your log. I haven't went and read the latest FAR or forms so this is just my twenty year old experience.

Back in Feb '02, I had to present a letter from the Rigger I apprenticed under to the local FSDO before I could get permission to take the written. It really sucked because "local" in this case was about a 6 hour drive each way.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Called who? It's commercial testing centers now, right? You can tell I haven't went through this stuff in awhile. The only reason I got around to taking my practical, from a FAA employee who didn't have a clue what a square was, was that the two year expiration on my written was about to run out.B|

The testing is determined by the administrator so I guess than do what they want. :| Hmmm, I thought that some of the people going to courses actually took the written before going. Is scoring instant now?

I embassed!:$ I should know this stuff.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Called who? It's commercial testing centers now, right?

Right, a commercial testing service. You have to call them to make an appointment, then go to the test location (a nearby flight school in this case) to take the test.

I thought that some of the people going to courses actually took the written before going

I thought so too. I'll give the FAA a call and see what they say.

Is scoring instant now?

At the testing centers it is, at the FAA it is something like 3 weeks.

I embassed! I should know this stuff.

Me too, just when I thought I had all "T"'s crossed and "I"'s dotted.:$

The problem is the FAA doesn't make it easy. I recently sent them an e-mail asking for clarification of a rigging issue. The sent me a copy and paste of the FAR's without answering my question. I asked them for a "yes" or "no", and they said they would have to get back to me:S.

Derek

I got this in a PM from a test administer and am posting it with their permission:

I've been a test administrator for Drake/Sylvan-Prometric/Lasergrade for the past few years (working at a Flight School)

Becoming an administrator is basically a test on computer/system operation (basic), test taking instruction, check in/out procedures, and how to determine which test aids are allowable, and what supplements should be provided.

The 8610-2 is the final application to be presented to a DPRE for an oral/practical, it is also required to take the written test.

The testing centers administer test on a variety of subjects, most common that I have seen are Microsoft A+, networking stuff, and FAA writtens, but there are many more that they do offer. The people administering the test are not required to know anything about what they are testing on. I honestly know nothing about the Microsoft A+ stuff, or whatever it is, but I've administered hundreds of tests for it.

When I went to take my written test (had to go with CATS because that is the only one I hadn't been a proctor for within 2 years) the lady had never heard of the test, and didn't think they had the supplement (diagram book) for it. I had to tell her which supplement I was allowed to use, when we found it she didn't think it was the one because it had aircraft mechanic stuff on the cover page, so I showed her that it was the right one (sheesh)

Derek

As of January 2003, my understanding from DeWolf's course is that you must first have the 20 pack jobs before you can take the written exam.

The first 4 days of the course you bust ass so you can take the written on wednesday or thursday. Dave signs a letter and your 8610-2 and off you go to lasergrade for the written exam. The Lasergrade test is an instant computer feedback, so you know right away if you're able to proceed to the practical/oral exam.

Dave told stories of the old days where a rigging course would actually take 6 weeks or longer. Canidates would do the training and 20 pack jobs, then take the written and come back weeks later for the practical/oral exam.:S

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

My "Rigging Course" took 3 years.;) Packed and studied some. Took the written. And about 22 months later took the oral and practical. An FAA examiner came to the DZ and the DZO, my instructor, wasn't in a hurry to have the FAA visit.:o

Still don't understand why you need to have the pack jobs done to take the written. You don't have to have the hours to take the Private Pilot written. I don't think. Oh, well.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I'm not sure why either. Looking at the FAA website for the 8210-2 form it's also used for A&P mechanic certification. The documentation states they have to bring certification they have passed their training course before they're allowed to take the written and practical exams.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

I am the test center supervisor at a Lasergrade Test Center -- one of the places where you can take your written. NO ONE may take the written test for FAA senior rigger without presenting a signed FAA form 8610-2. There are no exceptions that I know of, and if I let someone take their written without proper authorization, our test center loses its certification.

As a rigging student, I have learned that you cannot get form 8610-2 signed without having completed 20 reserve pack jobs under the supervision of an appropriately rated rigger.

The moral of my story? You need your 20 pack jobs to take the written test.