PhoenixRising

Please give us your feedback

A project That Flock U has been working on for a while now. Please give your constructive feedback. Take these guides and formations and use them for your own pleasure. There is a font in this package that can be Installed to your computer. Which allows you to type formations....literally. Any input or suggestions you have will be welcomed.(please be aware this is a work in progress)

Download here
Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

Shame the forum reaction hasn't been any better!

Good work guys! A step in the right direction.

Judging will be tricky but it needs to be tried out for real before shooting it down.

Remeber FAI recognition is only achieved by being pro-active. They will not come to us - WE have to go to them.
BASEstore.it

Hey guys,

Just back from watching Costyn take the plunge and get married to his sky-chicka (Congrats dude!) and some snorkling and scuba/free diving in the Carribian. So Ive been off the grid for the past 10 days..but (the horror) Im back online!!;)

Exelent work!
I think many people will appreachiate this kinda thing and (hopefully) work towards creating some cool 4 way competitions soon.

As JB states..everyone that helps and pushes towards fun competitions and tries new things, helps the dicipline grow.
And I think some (non 100% performance based) form of competition will be able to convince many RW/FF people who like competiting/practice with a target/goal to also give wingsuits a try..

rock on!
And lets hope we see this divepool slowly grow and develop!

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I have a master template here that I'll update on the website at least once every couple of weeks, if you'll send me a Word doc of your four-way formations, it would be a huge help.
More than that, I'm looking for input regarding the font. So far, the biggest feedback is that we don't need to indicate turns, just the formations. Justin and I have been working on the blocking, transitions with input from others for quite a while, but I'm still not happy with how they're coming off. Input on how to best demonstrate these positions would be appreciated, either here or in PM. Thanks for the coupla helpful PMs on the subject, guys!! Keep em' coming!

We have been doing this in Lodi for sometime, as you saw with the planned 10ways at my WestCoast Challenge dirt dives. Keeping the formations and points turning adds to boosting the technical skill level of a group, as well as eliminating the mindset of people doing just one boring point through the entire skydive.
Looks good guys :)

www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

A project That Flock U has been working on for a while now. Please give your constructive feedback. Take these guides and formations and use them for your own pleasure. There is a font in this package that can be Installed to your computer. Which allows you to type formations....literally. Any input or suggestions you have will be welcomed.(please be aware this is a work in progress)

Download here

Great Job again to the Flock U crew for getting this out there first for everyone to use and help make this dicipline what we all know its capable of.

Scotty
Z Flock #11; Muff #1909; PFI #15, USPA Lifer
Commercial Multi-Inst. Airplane/Rotory
www.flyteskool.ws Aerial Photography

We have been doing this in Lodi for sometime

I think they've been doing this kind of stuff all over the world for quite some time...but putting it out online for everyone to play with has been lacking so far...again great work guys!

Bring on the 4 way comps!

Would be cool if flying could somehow be included in the judging of these things..as lots of this stuff gets easier the straighter you are falling (instead of flying) down the tube..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Judging will be tricky

This is the crux. No judging means no scoring means no competition.

2.2. Assigned Slot: consists of wingsuit jumper flying with their body in position defined by dive pool, and no distance greater than twelve inches (12”) from assigned position

How will this practically be done? I forsee some great motion tracking automated judging system that can calculate distances based on the height and width of recognised flockers. Either that or judges with rulers against screens showing paused video! :S
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

With my fresh WS opinion I think it will end up being a more subjective judging process. Like in other artistic sports. A 1-10 rating scale. A group of judges average their scores and go from there. Just a thought. But trying to enact strict guidelines such as required distances will be difficult.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

With my fresh WS opinion I think it will end up being a more subjective judging process. Like in other artistic sports. A 1-10 rating scale. A group of judges average their scores and go from there. Just a thought. But trying to enact strict guidelines such as required distances will be difficult.

Thats what I also plan to do for the next edition of our wingsuit competition.

Judging by GPS etc. ads a complicated and dull/nerdy side to something that should only be about artistic/flying skills.

Having the score for a competition devided into 3 things.

Points flown, Camerawork, Flying style (meaning clean flying and visualy judging how well a team is flying..legs on ass or all out/actulally moving).

With points flown based on the score, and the other 2 rated (like most artistic sports) by a judge with a score (be it 1-5 scale or 1-10).

Having a 4 way team fly some practice jumps, and getting some people to trial-judge those jumps and see what works and what doesnt work in terms of scoring is probably a good idea..

But only scoring points..you'll definately get some freefalling teams..even though better flyings means more workingtime, it was quite clear that the faster fallrates still enable higher scores..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

How about bonus points for taking docks??? Some of these formations put wingsuits next to each other - moving in that extra foot, and taking a dock should be worth, say, an extra point. Everyone docked in the 4-way line is three bonus points (three grips being taken). Over the course of time, we will see whether it is worth the extra time to take a dock & score more points that way, or just get to one foot away position and zoom to the next point in the formation...

I think from a competitor standpoint, seeing when a point is "complete" and keying the next point is going to be "interesting" - the guy who can see that the point is complete is often out of sight of the other competitors... Radios would probably be a huge advantage in keying the next point.

I like the addition of the "artistic" scoring to the mix.

I think from a competitor standpoint, seeing when a point is "complete" and keying the next point is going to be "interesting" - the guy who can see that the point is complete is often out of sight of the other competitors... Radios would probably be a huge advantage in keying the next point.

You could have a wingsuit judge instead of (or combined with) a wingsuit camera man. The wingsuit judge could radio to the base when the point is complete and the base could do something to signal to everyone else that the point is complete. Obviously this has some disadvantages ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

You could have a wingsuit judge instead of (or combined with) a wingsuit camera man. The wingsuit judge could radio to the base when the point is complete and the base could do something to signal to everyone else that the point is complete. Obviously this has some disadvantages ...

That's effectively what they're doing at Lodi. We'd considered suggesting judges fly with the team, but that doesn't seem efficient. It means:
Judges must fly very well
Judges use slots on jump/increase cost
Gotta have at least 3 judges, so that's nearly another team right there.

Video is the answer, no different than what we already do...and the method by which Jarno suggests, coupled with the artistic point or docking point bonus makes the most sense, IMO. This is why you see the "bonus point" paragraph in the rough document.

I don't know how judges could measure/verify a 12" slot measurement, and it may be that rather than saying XXX inches/metre, it be that the formation is close "within reason" and evenly balanced/proportioned in distance. ie; tail and centers are proportionally distributed in relationship to the point?

Just counting docks or points (having 4 way lines etc. 2 way pairs are all options in formations) and awarding points for those..

this is judged by simple counting.
Also> miss a point, and you either repeat it or miss a whole block/sequence of points untill you succesfully do that point again (and thus continue the count)

And the proximity/flying style/neatness/speed of flight is judged by an artistic judge (also based on the video).
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Very nice. This is a good thing: getting flocks more challenging and interesting. Many people have of course already been doing multipoint formations, but there's a bunch of new ones in the document that look interesting and fun.

I haven't read all the rules and regs yet, but will do so later. And yes, I agree with what others have said, there needs to be a way to have people doing a certain forward speed. Otherwise just falling straight down will make some of the formations a lot easier.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News