Sylvain

New GPS

Is that some kind of gerilla marketing?

There are only videos about geonaute keymaze 300. [:/]

Don't really understand what you mean. Geonaute is a Decathlon brand.

-- Sylvain

Google yourself! You can get video only hits with geonaute keymaze 300 keywords.

The form factor looks amazingly similar to the Garmin Foretrex/Runner series of GPS receivers. I was unable to find any specs on it other than the video. At 99E/132.00USD there are still better, smaller and cheaper units currently available that are skydive friendly.It will be interesting to see how well the keymaze 300 performs when it comes out.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The form factor looks amazingly similar to the Garmin Foretrex/Runner series of GPS receivers. I was unable to find any specs on it other than the video. At 99E/132.00USD there are still better, smaller and cheaper units currently available that are skydive friendly.It will be interesting to see how well the keymaze 300 performs when it comes out.

I found some details here (its in French, but you can download multlingual userguides) :

http://www.geonaute.com/FR/Product_arborescence/sports-accessor/discovery/orientation---m/gps/product_8035650/index.html

seems to use the SiRFstarIII chipset.

-- Sylvain

http://www.usglobalsat.com/item.asp?itemid=153

I've been jumping the DG-100 with good results. It's a datalogger so it has no screen, you dump your tracks via USB into your laptop and then chart them with Google Maps or Paralog.

Features:

- $90 US
- Records position, velocity and altitude every second
- Built around the SiRF Star III engine, it works inside the plane!

I wear it in a small camera pouch on my belt under the wingsuit on my left side. It's configured to not record track points when velocity is less than 5mph, so I just leave it on all day at the DZ.

The Win-tec WBT-201 is the size of a Neptune/dytter and is also just a datalogger that works inside the aircraft. I place it inside my dytter pocket inside my helmet on flights and it still gets signal. Likewise, it has a small program called time machine that allows you to set the parameters of how and when it logs data points and you can even select what kind of files you want it to save to (ie:KMZ, GPX, ozi-explorer, etc).

It's an extremely small and robust receiver and it's already supported by Paralog thanks to Klaus;) It retails for $99USD. I believe Klaus is going to do a write up on all of its capabilities.

SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

have any of you used the win-tec dg-100 with a mac and google earth?

Yes, the win-tec wbt 201 is an upgrade on the 100/200 with the major change being in the chipset used. The uNav chipset used in the 100/200 has been replaced in the 201 with the high sensitivity uBlox Anataris 4 chipset. The time machine SW that comes with the receiver is PC based and takes a bit to get used to as it seems kind of simple but its actually allows for a lot of tweaking once you figure out how it works. You can export the track logs into GE or other file formats in a user selectable screen. I think there have been 3rd party SW progs developed so that you can use it on Linux/Mac boxes but haven't tried any yet.

Any idea what the sample rate is on the WBT-201?

It's user adjustable via the timemachine SW. You can do it by time,distance or speed, in either pedestrian or automotive mode. You can set it to 1 sec logging if you want and you can also do more than one if I remember correctly, say a time and distance/speed parameter if you want.

As you can see, some people really get into using their wbt-201 GPS receivers. This guy really takes the geotagging seriously.

edit to add: the sample/logging rate can also be adjusted by a user designating heading parameter so it only logs when moving on a certain heading.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Scott,

do you know what are the main differences between the WBT-201 and the WBT-300 (for skydiving of course) ?

-- Sylvain

I'm not Scott, but the main difference is that the WBT-300 does not log! [:/]

Edit: This is what I wrote to Scott earlier:

---
please have a look at my [URL "http://www.paralog.net/logbook.htm"]online-logbook [/URL].

Jumps 2083-2085 show three jumps as recorded by a Wintec WBT-201. The first jump it was mounted on the wrist, the next two jumps I simply put it into the Dytter pocket inside my closed-faced helmet (Z1). Not bad at all for a $95 unit!
---
I didn't like two things with the 305: First, it seems to smoothen the speed very strongly. This can be seen very well directly after exit (the wide arc) and opening (the dip). It takes a while after exit/open that the speeds/trajectory merge to the path recorded by the 201. Second - and that is hard to see as the data is chopped - is that the sensitivity of the 305 is not as good as the 201's in the aircraft - both units where side by side all the time inside a Caravan and a Skyvan. What really impresses me is that the 201 does not loose the fix just before exit on the second jump which actually means it kept the fix while walking from the front of the Skyvan to the back and waiting for exit. I'd say standing at the ramp is the worst case for signal reception.
---
I managed to put three more flights on the WBT-201 with impressive results! The unit was again simply put into the audible pocket of my Z1 (It does of course help the helmet is made of non-conductive and non-shielding plastique, a carbon fibre helmet would probably not work as well).

It held the fix all the way to altitude although I was not deliberately holding it up to the window. The plane used was a Caravan and I was sitting behind the co pilot seat with the helmet in my lap - the unit did not have an unobstructed view of the sky!

I have attached KML files of the three flights and a GPX of all three flights.

As I do not want to jump my full face with the wingsuit, I have attached a Neptune helmet mount (which coincidently fit the WBT-201 perfectly) to the back of my Bonehead. The unit slides into the helmet mount and is secured with a packing rubber band.

Although the unit does not have problems keeping a fix when inside my Z1 facing sideways, this should give it even better exposure.
---

Pictures of the mount are attached. All the latest jump s in my [URL "http://www.paralog.net/logbook.htm"]online-logbook [/URL] were recorded with the WBT-201.

HTH,
Klaus
My Logbook

Scott,

do you know what are the main differences between the WBT-201 and the WBT-300 (for skydiving of course) ?

-- Sylvain

I'm not Scott, but the main difference is that the WBT-300 does not log! [:/]

Thanks. That's indeed a MAIN difference ;)